$9.00 to prevent slide floor de-lamination

2010augusta

today after seeing the slide floor de-lamination problem take several inches out of a slide floor, I decided to fix our unit before it started to get out of hand.

I went to HD and bought 2 10' sections of white roof edge flashing.

Came home and measured each slide edge and removed the screws holding the trim strip to the slide floor.

ran a bead of caulk on the bottom edge for the flashing and slid the flashing behind the trim and the wall board.

put the screws back into the trim and tighten them back and caulked the corners.

Attachments

• DSCN0381 [800x600]..jpg
    DSCN0381 [800x600]..jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 2,057
  • DSCN0382 [800x600]..jpg
    DSCN0382 [800x600]..jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,943
  • DSCN0383 [800x600]..jpg
    DSCN0383 [800x600]..jpg
    34 KB · Views: 1,884
  • DSCN0384 [800x600]..jpg
    DSCN0384 [800x600]..jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,850
  • DSCN0388 [800x600]..jpg
    DSCN0388 [800x600]..jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,823
Last edited:

nscaler2

today after seeing the slide floor de-lamination problem take several inches out of a slide floor, I decided to fix our unit before it started to before it got out of hand.

I want to HD and bought 2 10' sections of white roof edge flashing.

Came home and measured each slide edge and removed the screws holding the trim strip to the slide floor.

ran a bead of caulk on the bottom edge for the flashing and slid the flashing behind the trim and the wall board.

put the screws back into the trim and tighten them back and caulked the corners.

What a great idea. Looks like it would keep the water from wicking into the end of the floor board. Thanks for posting the pic. Too bad the factory couldn't do something like this in the first place. If it only cost you $9.00 at retail, I'm sure they could do it for considerably less to solve a really nasty potential problem.

ralphpam

We have a 2010 3670 that was manufactured in April 2009. Ours has a plastic shield behind the trim that extends down and under the slide to cover the edge completely. Now we are trying to decide if that black moisture barrier painted on the plywood is sufficient with all the rain in Pacific Northwet Washington!

wyleyrabbit

Alan,

Excellent modification. Congratulations on coming up with such a simple, inexpensive, yet elegant solution.

Doing this modification to our trailer should avoid a potential nightmare (such as what happened to user SoilMovers here: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/15252-Extensive-delamination?p=116993 ).

What kind of caulk did you use, and did you also buy that at HD?

Thanks,
Chris

2010augusta

I just used the silicone caulk that I have on hand to make touch ups to the caulk on the exterior walls.

tmcran

I have the HL fix for the slides ( 3" black plastic that fits over the black flacky stuff that comes off. ) however, it still leaves the edge exposed. I will be hearding to HD this afternoon.. Good fix.

SilverRhino

Nice Fix!! Thanks for sharing....will be added to the list of things to do when I fully recover from my surgery.

P.S. Always enjoy your posts.....Simple, common sense approach to issues!

Travel Safe!

tmcran

today after seeing the slide floor de-lamination problem take several inches out of a slide floor, I decided to fix our unit before it started to get out of hand.

I went to HD and bought 2 10' sections of white roof edge flashing.

Question? Does the slight downward bend on the trim catch on the carpet?

aatauses

Hi,
Just a FYI on this----HL actually has angle pieces to do this---I called with the same issue and they sent me 6 pieces to fix all my slides. They go on the same way as described and so far have done a very good job.
al

2010augusta

it should not. I have not checked, but the rollers on our slides keep them 1/2 -1" off the floor when retracted. tomorrow I will move some chairs and bring a slide in and reply with the results.

beardedone

Beardedone
I made a note to do this asap but I was wondering if you caulked the side that comes underneath the floor. I think you probably didn't take a chance of putting any screws in the underside.

2010augusta

Question? Does the slight downward bend on the trim catch on the carpet?

Okay, I brought a slide in today and no problem with the lip catching the carpet. it did touch the carpet but did not appear to be putting much weight down. I'll keep an eye on it, but we don't move about much so the slide don't come in very often.

Wharton

Our 2011 BH3670 came into the dealer yesterday wo we went down and looked at it. This problem has been fixed in the 2011 BH 3670.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Our 2011 BH3670 came into the dealer yesterday wo we went down and looked at it. This problem has been fixed in the 2011 BH 3670.

Anyone know if the same fix has been applied to the 2011 Big Country line?

jbeletti

I can't say with certainty, but until someone with a 2011 BC who knows what to look for, weighs in, I'll you that the LM/BH/BC are all built in the same plant on the same line and it's likely that a similar practice is used on each.

Jim