Help! - Front jacks quit working.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Just tried to hitch up our new 3450TS BC for the first time! Landing gear started up and all of a sudden stopped...now the motor no longer runs! Is there a fuse somewhere? My truck is stuck in the middle of the road and I cant unhitch because I am halfway done! Can't lower or raise the landing gear at this point! :mad:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Help!

There may be an auto reset breaker, let it stand for a few minutes, or look for a pink wire from you landing gear switch. It should have a 30 amp mimi fuse in it.
This is one reason I carry two hydraulic bottle jacks.
Let us know what you find.

Peace
Dave

SJH

Well, all the breakers inside look good. I found the pink wire behind the switch but no inline fuse I could find. Should it be close to the switch or anywhere inside the coil from the switch to the motor? Looks like it was my fault...the landing gear are up against the welded stops...precisely why I was trying to hitch ot up...to make sure I could! I am still dead in the water.

ChopperBill

Yes circuit breaker. Mine kept stopping right when it was new. Wait a few moments and it should reset. Unless it totally burned out then you will have the trace the wires and jump across the terminals with a wire or such. The dealer replaced the breaker on my first warranty service.

SJH

Yes circuit breaker. Mine kept stopping right when it was new. Wait a few moments and it should reset. Unless it totally burned out then you will have the trace the wires and jump across the terminals with a wire or such. The dealer replaced the breaker on my first warranty service.

Where is the circuit breaker?

jnbhobe

Probably on the wall in the battery compartment. Trace the wires from the landing gear motor. Also when you find the breaker ( if there is no inline fuse ) check under the red cover on the back side for a reset button. JON

SJH

Well crap...never had this problem with my Keystone! Got out the hand crank and at least got my truck unhitched! No power is getting to the motor...I doubt it could have burned out in the fraction of a second it was running! Can't seem to find an appropriate breaker or fuse for this! Next to my battery are a bunch of connectors with red rubber covers...took the rubber covers off and saw nothing! Followed the wires from the motor to the landing gear switch and saw no fuse...although the wires are wrapped in that black coil stuff I don't think I saw anywhere a fuse would fit. I hope this is not an indication of RVing on my new rig! Such a simple task turns bad!

Thanks for your help so far...any other ideas?

tmcran

If all else fails do it the hard way and raise them by hand crank. My Sundance has an 30 amp inline fuse by the termal next to the battery. I'm sure your BC is different.

good luck.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

If you have electric jacks you should have an inline fuse. It will be inside a small black plastic "box" about the size of a book of matches. It's a 30amp mini-fuse, green in color.

SJH

If you have electric jacks you should have an inline fuse. It will be inside a small black plastic "box" about the size of a book of matches. It's a 30amp mini-fuse, green in color.

They are electric jacks! I think I know what you are talkiing about because I found one of the "books of matches" fuse holders for my hydraulic slides. Can't seem to find anything for the landing gear...it must be well hidden!

jnbhobe

The little silver boxes under the red rubber are circut breakers, some have a little reset button on the side. A test light would help th check them. I am not saying there isn't a fuse in the landing gear wiring. A test light will help here too. I don't know if Big Country uses a fuse or a breaker. Jon

tmcran

Where is the fuse you found for the slides located? In the battery area? If so you might pull that fuse to see if it is ok.

Riverman

You really need a 12 volt test light to find where the power ends...without it, your hunting in the dark.

SJH

Where is the fuse you found for the slides located? In the battery area? If so you might pull that fuse to see if it is ok.

Did that just for fun...it looked fine and was only a 20 amp! I think it is for the hydraulic pump!

SJH

You really need a 12 volt test light to find where the power ends...without it, your hunting in the dark.

:D Easy for you to say...I can put batteries in a flashlight but thats about my expertise with electical stuff!

SJH

The little silver boxes under the red rubber are circut breakers, some have a little reset button on the side. A test light would help th check them. I am not saying there isn't a fuse in the landing gear wiring. A test light will help here too. I don't know if Big Country uses a fuse or a breaker. Jon

Actually...I think I found one of those reset buttons (very tiny on the side of the silver box) Pushed it in but nothing seemed to happen!

jnbhobe

I guess you'll have to get a 12 volt test light all you do is clip it to the battery ground touch 12v positive it will light up. Jon

SJH

I guess you'll have to get a 12 volt test light all you do is clip it to the battery ground touch 12v positive it will light up. Jon

Thanks Jon! I understand the concept but what exactly do I test? The switch?, the motor? Sorry to be so ignorant but never have had to test circuits before...didn't expect to have to do it on a brand new unit either!

Best wishes!

jnbhobe

Test for power between the motor and the battery. You can touch any connection or poke the wire with the tool it has a sharp point ( just touch the connections ) It will light if there is 12v power there. start with the battery go to the circut breakers test each side of the breaker should be power at each stud. Trace the motor power back toward the battery. Good luck Jon

GETnBYE

SJH, You have to tell us what happened!
I watched this post last night like it was the Survivor finale show. I could not post, because I could not be of any help at all to you. But, I was rooting for you to get it fixed. Could not help but picture your truck out in the road with traffic backed and all your neighbors standing around watching you.
I hope you got it fixed. We need details.
Isn't it great that you could get on this forum and get instant advice?
Nita