PDA

View Full Version : Wiki Discussion

jbeletti
04-01-2010, 01:24 PM
Hey all,

Use this thread to discuss your comments, questions, suggestions or concerns about the Heartland Owners Wiki.

For quick reference, here are some helpful links:

What is a Wiki? (//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/14755-What-is-a-Wiki)
Why do we need a Wiki here on the Heartland Owners Forum? (//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/14756-Why-do-we-need-a-wiki-here-on-the-Heartland-Owners-Forum)
Who will use the Heartland Owners Wiki? (//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/14757-Who-will-use-the-Heartland-Owners-Wiki)
What is my role with the Heartland Owners Wiki? (//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/14758-What-is-my-role-with-the-Heartland-Owners-Wiki)
I see Wiki on the navigation bar at the top of each forum screen, but what's the direct link to the Wiki in case I want to bookmark it? (//heartlandowners.org/mediawiki)
I understand that I can create content directly within the Wiki. If I have content to share but would rather have a Wiki Editor add the content, what's the process? (//heartlandowners.org/misc.php?do=form&fid=2)

And now, "Shameless Plug" time :) Alan (2010augusta) and several others have contributed some great content for the RV Glossary portion of the Wiki. Please check it out. Here are some links to it:

Link to the RV Glossary (mini-descriptions) (//heartlandowners.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=RV_Glossary)
Link to the Index for all RV Glossary items (with links to a page for each item) (//heartlandowners.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Category:Glossary_Terms)

Below is a screen shot of what the RV Glossary Index looks like. And finally, remember that this is only the beginning for Wiki. This is your space, programmed by you as a Heartland RV encyclopedia of RV items and processes. I look forward to the day where we'll see a good many How-To articles, written by users :)

2010augusta
04-01-2010, 04:32 PM
If anyone has an idea for additional features, content, or any other thoughts for the wiki PLEASE share them. As Jim stated, the wiki is only in its beginning stages, so if there is something else you would like to see in the wiki, we can probably add it.

The only thing that will limit the power of the wiki is the amount of information we all add to it. Please share anything you can.

TXBobcat
04-01-2010, 07:26 PM
I wanted to read the items in the WiKi. But all I get is this page. How do you go about looking at the directory? Also how do I search for something. It doesn't look like there is anything in it except RV Appearance Maintenance.

BC

2010augusta
04-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Bob: to search there is a search tool on the left margin, but using the two indexs for the glossary terms and How-to's might be more useful untill the wiki gets more content.

any of the blue words will take you to other ares on the wiki, so just hit a "click here" or a Index.

jimtoo
04-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Hi Bob,

Did you go to this link? (//heartlandowners.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Category:Glossary_Terms) Or try the one that is posted above? There is not a lot of info in the WiKi yet, but it will come.

Jim M

jbeletti
04-01-2010, 11:24 PM
I wanted to read the items in the WiKi. But all I get is this page. ...

Bob - ya had me going there for a moment. I just checked the links provided in post 1 of this thread - and they are valid. Here they are:

Link to the RV Glossary (mini-descriptions) (//heartlandowners.org/../mediawiki/index.php?title=RV_Glossary)
Link to the Index for all RV Glossary items (with links to a page for each item) (//heartlandowners.org/../mediawiki/index.php?title=Category:Glossary_Terms)

As Alan mentions, once we get a lot more content on the Wiki, we will revamp the front page.

Enjoy. And submit some content Bob! I'll see Pat and Trevor in Houston. You too if yer makin' breakfast burritos :)