Battery smoking hot!

Wild Bill

Dedicated Bighorner
I have my trailer plugged into 110 constantly, even when parked next to the house. I'm in and out of the trailer almost daily. Yesterday I walked in to a terrible sulfer smell. I tracked it down to the battery which was bubbling over and smoking.. yikes! I unplugged the power and it cooled down. The battery went dead not long after. Any advice on this?

Thanks guys.

Bill

branson4020

Icantre Member
Almost certainly your battery developed an internal short and will need to be replaced. While you have the battery disconnected, check the output voltage of your converter.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Same thing happened to us. Replace your battery and you should be good to go.

LookN4Ward

I have my trailer plugged into 110 constantly, even when parked next to the house. I'm in and out of the trailer almost daily. Yesterday I walked in to a terrible sulfer smell. I tracked it down to the battery which was bubbling over and smoking.. yikes! I unplugged the power and it cooled down. The battery went dead not long after. Any advice on this?

Thanks guys.

Bill

When you say you have your battery plugged into 110 constantly, do you mean that you have the trailer electrical system plugged into 30 or 50 amp service constantly? If so, then the converter could also be involved. If you are indicating that you have a trickle charger between 110 volt outlet and the battery then the battery has a short as others offered or the charger did not shut down when the battery was fully charged.

I purchased a trickle charger to charge the battery that uses a 110 outlet. It will stop charging the battery when fully charged.

bobsue2

I'm having the same problem with the battery...trailer is now disconnected from 110 ac and has cooled down considerably....

check the output voltage of your converter.

what exactly are the steps to do this...not really familiar with a converter...thanks

wdk450

I'm having the same problem with the battery...trailer is now disconnected from 110 ac and has cooled down considerably....

what exactly are the steps to do this...not really familiar with a converter...thanks

Bob:
Here is the checkout proceedure for the Progressive 9100 converters. This link is taken from the "Tools" tab at the top of this page, then "Heartland Owners Manuals", "Electrical", "Convertors", "Progressive 9100", "Checkout Proceedure" sub menu choices. I.E. this info is on this Heartland Owners Forum website.
http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/...mics/PD9100_Series_Trouble_Shooting_Guide.pdf

bobsue2

Thanks wdk450....just need to find out where the converter is located...should be in owners manual...

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Bob,
Your converter is probably located behind the DS basement wall, next to the bedroom step framing, up against the wall of the kitchen. Directly under the anti-siphon valve for the black tank flusher line. That's where mine was, and it's not the easiest thing to get to. You can just barely see it, the gray box, behind the wire pile next to the step frame. The black box is the suppressor after my first relocation of it. The dealer had installed it right behind the breaker panel under the kitchen cabinet. Really not convenient to get to.

I remounted mine, along with my surge suppressor to a panel I mounted on the step framing so that it was accessible and out of harm's way should a leak occur (second photo). I modified the basement walls to have easily removable access panels, rather than having to pull the basement apart to get back there, should I need to (photo #3).

View attachment 10843View attachment 10844View attachment 10845

bobsue2

Thanks JohnDar.....guess I'll have to tear the basement apart to test it...question....if all wires were removed from battery posts..could you not check the output of the converter by checking the wires that feed to the battery?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Sounds reasonable, but remember that the converter does not output a steady charge to the battery. Nominally, the output is 13.6 volts, but it can be as low as 13.2V (storage mode) or as high as 14.4V (boost mode), depending on the battery state. In addition, you do not have a PD9100, you have the PD9200 Converter, specifically a PD9260. The Charge Wizard function changes it according to the battery state. The information for troubleshooting is probably identical, though, for both the PD9100 and PD9200 series.

What I get from my manual is that the converter is pretty much designed to shut itself off if it has an internal problem. Check it to be sure, but get that battery looked at. If your's is like mine, it requires checking the water level periodically. Checking and cleaning the terminals isn't a bad idea, either.

You should have received the manual for the converter with your owner packet from the dealer. If not, you can look at Progressive Dynamic's website: www.progressivedyn.com, or give them a call: 269-781-4241. On their website, go to the Service Department tab and you can find more information.