M21 jack knife sofa modification

The jack knife sofa in my M21 may work well for sleeping but is uncomfortable for seating: the seat is too high off the floor and is so deep that you need to tuck a couple pillows behind you when sitting up to the table to eat. I don't care about the sleeping aspects because there are only 2 of us and we sleep on the queen bed. So, I'm going to modify the jack knife and make it a comfortable place to sit. Has anyone else modified it? Any suggestions?

TWPANNING

I have a M21 also, and I totally agree with you. I had the same throught, not sure on how to go about it yet, would be interest in what you come up with.

Okay, went ahead with sofa modification. Here's the drill. Remove both seat and back from jack knife hardware - and the hardware itself from the plywood base. Stow the seat and hardware and forget about them until you sell the trailer. Replace the seat cushion with good quality 2" memory foam that extends to the front edge of the plywood base, and cover it with your choice of fabric. Cut two lengths of 2X wood into wedge shapes to support and anchor the back cushion: attach the wedges to the cushion frame, using the two existing bolts at each end of the frame, and then attach the wedges to the plywood base. I put the seat at a 10 degree angle and used Simpson steel framing material for attaching the wedges to the seat cushion and base.

Now, the lady's feet touch the floor, there's no knee-banging (and cursing) when sitting down on the sofa because your knees hit the table legs, and the reduced depth of the seat cushion makes sitting more comfortable. We're quite pleased with the outcome.

camr

Jim and Kay- Great mod. It looks both fantastic and functional. I see this as being an option that Heartland should offer, in light of the fact that the slide is not long enough to sleep an adult. If a buyer has no intention of ever needing to have small children sleep in the trailer, then this makes all the sense in the world. I notice that you upgraded the lights above the slide. Are they LED lights and where did you get them. Seeing as you really know what you are doing, there are alot of us who would love to see photos of other mods.

Thanks very much. Cam

ryanwdhs

Hi, would you be interested in selling me your jacknife sofa hardware? I can't find one to fit my needs so I'm thinking of building one. Ryan 208-681-0087

kencook

Great looking chairs...nice job. We have the same trailer and are interested in the particular brand of chairs you bought. We have looked at several and see a couple that look almost like twins of yours but I want to be sure before I decide. If you can comment it would be very helpful. Thanks, Ken, Houston

handy2

Thank you for the idea.Look foreward to getting the bugs & kinks out,so we have alittle more reliance & comfort.

jimtoo

Hi handy2,

Welcome to the posting side of the Heartland Owners Forum and family. Hope you have been looking around and gaining knowledge about your unit since you joined a while back.

If you have questions or need help, just ask. Our Heartland family is here to help.

Jim M

Okay, went ahead with sofa modification. Here's the drill. Remove both seat and back from jack knife hardware - and the hardware itself from the plywood base. Stow the seat and hardware and forget about them until you sell the trailer. Replace the seat cushion with good quality 2" memory foam that extends to the front edge of the plywood base, and cover it with your choice of fabric. Cut two lengths of 2X wood into wedge shapes to support and anchor the back cushion: attach the wedges to the cushion frame, using the two existing bolts at each end of the frame, and then attach the wedges to the plywood base. I put the seat at a 10 degree angle and used Simpson steel framing material for attaching the wedges to the seat cushion and base.

Now, the lady's feet touch the floor, there's no knee-banging (and cursing) when sitting down on the sofa because your knees hit the table legs, and the reduced depth of the seat cushion makes sitting more comfortable. We're quite pleased with the outcome.

Don't know if you're still on the forum, but if you are and have some pics to share I would really like to see them. We have an EDGE M21 also and are interested in the same mod.

Thanks, Phil Johnson

Chumbly

I agree with the previous comments about the sofa, (it sucks)...and would like to convert to something better as well. I remember seeing comments and pictures of a conversion that consisted of two seats, etc. that someone on here posted. I'd be interested in that type of conversion. If anyone can guide me to that post or have other pictures of conversions, I'd appreciate it.