Big Horn 3670 A/C

StephenKatSea

Any chance of a 2008 BH 3670, with a single A/C, maintaining comfortable temps in the Ariz/Calif desert during the summer? Day time temps in excess of 100 degrees are the norm. Site only has 30 amp service.

ralphpam

We have a 3670 and were in 100 degree weather last summer and it took both of our ac's running constantly to keep the unit cool. If you only have 30 amp power you will have to live with the temperature that one ac can provide.

ralphpam

I forgot to mention we have dual pane windows which make a big difference. If you only have single pane windows you are going to get rather warm.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Any chance of a 2008 BH 3670, with a single A/C, maintaining comfortable temps in the Ariz/Calif desert during the summer? Day time temps in excess of 100 degrees are the norm. Site only has 30 amp service.

Depends on your defintion of comfortable. 80+ degrees?

ChopperBill

Make sure you do the air flow mods. They are a sticky on the Bighorn section. I wonder if you could run one of those small Coleman Polar cubs in the bed room. Dont think they take as much power.

Peteandsharon

I'll only say that if your single A/C does manage to keep it comfortable in that temperature then I'm trading my 2008 BH 3055 for your model on the spot. If my rig is sitting in the open sun, all I need is for ambient temps to start climbing into the mid 80s and it starts getting dicey inside. The A/C ducting in these units is far and away my number one issue with them. I love my rig in all other ways but the issue of A/C has been a downer. I am going to be in southern OKlahoma and northern Texas in June with only 30 amp service and even that is making me a little apprehensive.

2010augusta

We spent a summer in south TX with daytime temps of 105 and even with the mirrored dual pane windows, we were glad we had 2 A/C's. We were on a night shift schedule (sleeping from 9am -5pm) we would set the living room to 83* and the bedroom to 68*, and both would cycle. once awake we would set both to 72* and they would run pretty constantly untill 10pm then the LR would cycle and the BR would stay off.

With one A/C it is going to be hard to keep cool. Can you take a generator and run a 2nd A/C or do you have 2 A/C's?

I stay at a campground with a 30 amp campground also. I did some research and discovered the colemam draws a lot less amps, it worked out great. purchased at camping world. hope this helps. Jim Thomas

boatdoc

Not one chance in the world!!!! You should be on the Oregon coast that time of the year.

sjrellis

In a word..."no"!

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Two Hands

I just have to add my agreement with the above comments. I wouldn't even think about spending the summer in the desert without two air conditioners.

wdk450

Stephen:
Maybe with a little creative wiring, you could feed a 2nd bedroom AC from a generator. That is, remove the 2nd AC feed wire from the breaker and neutral bus bar and wire a direct feed from the generator to this cable.
Or you could get a generator big enough for everything - 6KW?

StephenKatSea

Thanks to all for the good suggestions. Fortunately, our summer days are typically spent on the water or in a cove on a desert lake. Evening cooking is always conducted outside. Looks like we'll need to, once again, use the bubble alum. on the windows and we plan to add a second (low amp) a/c for just the bedroom. Salon temps, of course, are not nearly as critical as the bedroom. Have also noted the critical air flow situation in the factory ducting (timk tenting?). Thanks again to all.

ChopperBill

They make those portable A/C's that you can set in the closet and vent out a window or dryer vent that dont take much power that may run with your setup. A few on this forum have done this with good results. Maybe they will chime in.

billd

We spned most of our time along the Colorado River between Parker and Blythe. The bubble insulation helps a ton.

StephenKatSea

Installed a portable unit, "SoleusAIR" PH5 series from Home Depot in the bedroom closet, installed duct and factory RV vent on the Driver's Side of the closet. Looks factory and works great. You can "hang meat in the bedroom. Set the salon AC to "dump" (takes care of the ducting situation) and circulate the cool air from that unit with a small rotating fan in the salon. Placed frig and water heater on propane. 30 amp service is handling the load. Afternoon temps are already climbing into the low 90s. Bubble insullation will be placed on the windows for the more extreme temps of the summer.

Thanks again to all for the suggestions and input.

RollingHome

Stephen, When you say "set the salon AC to dump", what exactly do you mean ? I RV where the temps hit 90 and the service is 30 Amps. I'm learning here. Also, I guess you just tape the bubble insulation on the windows ? Thanks, Tom

Yianni

Stephen, When you say "set the salon AC to dump", what exactly do you mean ? I RV where the temps hit 90 and the service is 30 Amps. I'm learning here. Also, I guess you just tape the bubble insulation on the windows ? Thanks, Tom

Tom, if you look at your main A/C unit inside the trailer you will see a panel that will slide to open a large vent on the unit itself. This "dumps" the cold air into the main living and not through the ducts. It cools the main area much quicker. Some air still makes it through the ducts but not much.

Wharton

First, I doubt if 1 AC can handle the BH3670 at 100. Second, we just picked up our 2011 BH 3670 and DH was checking out the circuit breakers and when just running 30A there was no AC or TV. He rewired the circuits at the board so we would have AC and TV. We don't have a front AC. Check your circuits.

I need to go to Phoenix for 2 months(new Grandbaby) and we thought taking the 3670 would be a good idea until we realized(slow lightbulb) the AC problem.