Does Nose Cap Design Still Require Long Bed?

GaryB

Hi - thinking of buying a Big Horn. I also need to buy a truck. I prefer a short bed (crew cab) for manueverability purposes and fitting into my garage.

Question - Heartland says the nose cap on their BigHorn/Landmark is specially designed so you can pull it using a short bed truck without a slider hitch. Has anybody with short bed (long cab) truck encountered a situation where doing this could be dangerous (i.e., 5er hitting the truck cab while turning)? I know one disclaimer of the 88 degree turn radius claim is that it has to be on level ground.

Thanks
Gary

Last edited:

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
I have a 3055rl and tow it with a shortbed and no slider. So far NO problem. There seems to be a fair amount of room cab to trailer on normal turns. The website says an 88 degree turn. If you were doing that you would be pushing the 5th sideways...
I have done a couple of shape turns and all looked well.

Uncle Rog

Short bed no problemo.....

We have a short bed with slider hitch, just to be sure, and we have pulled her almost 2000 miles without ever even considering using it. The advantage might be in the ride however. We run pretty hard on the open desert on the flats and it can buck around a little...................

RickNB

Short Bed Crew Cab No Problems Yet

Have towed our Sundance now for 3 months and 3000 miles and many campsites and have not come close to hitting the cab with a non slider hitch. As Sailorand states if you have to get the truck at 88 degrees to the trailer your not pulling or backing the trailer anyplace but sideways pull ahead and get straightened out some. The strain on those trailer wheels going sidways and not turning is scary. I have heard of the odd case where somebody wants to place the trailer in a spot where there is a tree in front and a tree in back very close to the trailer then you would have to jacknife the truck and trailer and shove the front of the trailer in the last bit sideways . Dont know why they would want to stress there tires and rims etc to accomplish this but even with a slider not an easy task and not good for the tires etc.
Have Fun
Rick

svd

Gary,
We have a Super Duty Crew Cab w/short box, and never had a problem (no slider hitch).

shaneandtammymoore

Shane & Tammy
front cap

Just my two cents worth. Along with everyone else, I have never even come close to having a problem. F250 SB without slider. 3055rl.