Sundance 2800RLS BlackTank Valve Cable

RickNB

The cable from the handle to the tank valve has pulled apart at the handle end and will not close the valve. Has this been a problem on other units? It looks like the routing of the cable maybe too long and too many bends in it causing excessive stress on the cable when closing the valve. The cable is routed out of the underbelly through the frame and then back through the frame to the valve is this the normal routing for this unit?
The holes in the frame have been cut with a torch very messy to say the least with no grommets. Is this the normal method for holes to be placed in the frame to allow for something to pass through? Any information for a redesign rather than replacing the cable in the same manner would be appreciated as I do feel this will fail again very soon. I have had the unit since June 2006 it is a 2007 model . My dealer is going to look at it this week just looking for information before they do anything.

Thank you in advance
Rick

Attachments

• CableHoles2.jpg
    CableHoles2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Loco

check some of the other areas in this forum you will see

Check other type trailer areas here and you will see we have troubles also like that

RickNB

Thanks Loco I have read some of the other posts and will be following your rebuild with much interest. It is too bad that owners have to do this type of thing to there units but if we are looking at what will happen in the future with things breaking due to poor pride in workmanship and causing us unconvenience then I guess it must be done.
Good luck in your repairs.

Rick

Scott

Sorry Rick,
I just got your latest post. I hope that have been working with your dealer on this who hopefully has been in touch with our service technicians. On a lot of issues, I can speak with some experience, I'm sorry, but on this cable issue, I cannot.
I'm sure that's not the answer you wanted to hear. Good thing that I have three trained, experienced RV service representatives who do this every day - whom your dealers are in contact with.
They also provide photos to the production line so that we can make changes and upgrades where needed - so if we need to go to a grommet there, we will.

ST

RickNB

Getting a little Frustrated

Scott Thank you for the reply although it does not answer even one of my 3 questions. The only thing that you suggest is that you may place a grommet there. That there is no grommet in the holes is not the Problem. Maybe my post was not written clearly enough but I did think that the picture was self explanatory.

It appears that you feel that I should be taking these issues to my dealer so he can contact your service representatives and they get back to my dealer and then my dealer can get back to me . I have asked my questions to my dealers service rep and was not given an answer other than it "dont look right". If you take the time to look at my questions you will find they are all around design issues and not of a technical type.

I am sorry if I have troubled you with these questions I assumed it was one of the uses of this forum so that all Heartland owners could benifit from the exchange of information. I also assumed that you or whoever reads these post at the factory has the resources to aquire the answer. Would it be asking too much if you had asked one of your "3 trained service technicians and forwarded the answer back to me and others here. Scott your answer sounds like one from a politician,skirts around the real problem talks for awhile and hopes the person just goes away.

Rick

Scott said:
Sorry Rick,
I just got your latest post. I hope that have been working with your dealer on this who hopefully has been in touch with our service technicians. On a lot of issues, I can speak with some experience, I'm sorry, but on this cable issue, I cannot.
I'm sure that's not the answer you wanted to hear. Good thing that I have three trained, experienced RV service representatives who do this every day - whom your dealers are in contact with.
They also provide photos to the production line so that we can make changes and upgrades where needed - so if we need to go to a grommet there, we will.

ST
My original post

The cable from the handle to the tank valve has pulled apart at the handle end and will not close the valve. Has this been a problem on other units? It looks like the routing of the cable maybe too long and too many bends in it causing excessive stress on the cable when closing the valve. The cable is routed out of the underbelly through the frame and then back through the frame to the valve is this the normal routing for this unit?
The holes in the frame have been cut with a torch very messy to say the least with no grommets. Is this the normal method for holes to be placed in the frame to allow for something to pass through? Any information for a redesign rather than replacing the cable in the same manner would be appreciated as I do feel this will fail again very soon. I have had the unit since June 2006 it is a 2007 model . My dealer is going to look at it this week just looking for information before they do anything.

Scott

Sorry to dissappoint you Rick. You obviously want instant, gratifying answers. I will do my best to meet your demands when I get back into the office.

ST

RickNB

Scott
Please do not belittle me . I am not dissapointed just better informed now of the type of reply that is given by the Heartland factory. I dont need instant answers but I dont think that a week and a half is instant. Where did you read in my post that I wanted INSTANT answer. Yes I want gratifying answers at least something that makes sense and answers the questions asked. I believe that all customers of Heartland products deserve gratifying answers to any questions they may have about a unit that they have invested a very large amount of there hard earned money in.

Please do not bother to spend your time in replying to my questions I understand that you are a busy person. You never stated that you would get back to me in your original post and furthermore never stated that you were not in your office and did not have the resources to answer my questions. It appears if I had not replied to your post to me that I would never heard anything more so dont bother now just because I gave an honest reply to your non answers .

Scott said:
Sorry to dissappoint you Rick. You obviously want instant, gratifying answers. I will do my best to meet your demands when I get back into the office.

ST

Scott

Rick,
I didn't "belittle" you, and I won't get pulled into any tiff on this forum.

You slammed my response, calling it a "non-answer". So be it.

Hopefully, you will find some fulfillment from your dealer or our service team.

ST

Redcoat1

Cable Problem

I am having the same problems with the sewer cable. I certainly hope that the response and solution from the dealer is better than the one from the factory. This shouldn't be a place for attitudes but a place for questions and hopefully answers.:confused:

Scott

Redcoat.
Sorry you had to read the above, but sometimes I can't figure out why people have to get all over me when I don't know the answer, and I'm just pointing them to our company's main RV service assisance source - our three Service Reps.
To repeat, there are some subjects that I just can't speak knowledgeably about, and his was one of them. That's why I was encouraging him to speak with one of our three RV Service Reps here at Heartland.
I KNOW that Jim Fenner; Chris DeLapaz and Randy Denton can and will be able to help - all day, every day. Our customer service phone number is 574.262.8030 and I am confident that you will get some quality care from our service team when you do.
Feel free to let me know if you the assitance you recieve is not what you had hoped for.

ST

RickNB

Redcoat1 said:
I am having the same problems with the sewer cable. I certainly hope that the response and solution from the dealer is better than the one from the factory. This shouldn't be a place for attitudes but a place for questions and hopefully answers.:confused:

Hi Redcoat1

I see that you have received an answer to your problem from the factory but here is mine for what it is worth.

The cable type of system that is being used on the Sundance drain valves will probably continue to cause problems with the current design (This is just my opinion ). The cables do not have enough room as the valve is located so close to the frame that they have to be bent at a very sharp angle to align with the valve assembly placing a lot of friction on the cable system. In the case of my unit 2800RLS the cable was brought out through the frame and then back in through the frame so it could be aligned with the valve without making a very short radius bend. (See my picture in original post). This was on the black water tank the ones on the 2 grey tanks were left inside the frame but both have very short radius bends in order to get them aligned with the valve. I am sure that they will fail very soon as well.

What the service man did as a temporary fix was to move the handle of the cable over to the hole that align's with the valve and placed it there . The cable is now about 5 inches long and goes straight into the valve assembly. The only down side to this is that the black tank valve is now about 2 feet to the left of the other valves but does not cause any real problem I can reach the 2 feet OK. A similiar setup will have to eventualy be done to the other 2 when they let go or sooner.

I am sorry if I showed some attitude in my previous replies to the factory but I thought as you do that this was a place for questions to be asked and answered so others could share the information. All I was trying to do was get some/any kind of information. It appears that the user is supposed to call the Heartland service reps and then they could come back here and post the answers so everybody will have the information and we would not have to all call.

Have Fun

Rick