16K Reese Hitch ??

Bobby A

Does anyone know the torque on the 4 bolts ( 2 on each side) they take a 3/4 inch socket or wrench. 1 of mine was hand loose and the other 3 seemed to be loose with a wrench and socket. Is this normal for these bolts to loosen over time ?? Not sure what you call the part but its the piece that holds the head. Kinda on the same subject does the bolts holding the rails through the bed of the truck come loose ?? if so what is the torque on that. Thanks in advance and Happy Easter everyone

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Yes Bobby, in a perfect world they should not come loose. I do, however, check them every so often. They have alot of stress on them. I also take things apart once a year and grease everything. It's just the way I do it. Bob

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you're talking about the four 1/2" nuts and bolts that secure the head support to the side brackets (legs), the manual (Reese 16K Hitch #30047) says to torque all 1/2" nuts to 75 ft-lb. The wrench or socket is 3/4", but the actual fastener size is 1/2" shank. Just to be sure, I went out and measured the nuts and bolts on my hitch.

Then I searched around and found a .pdf for the manual.

Last edited:

Bobby A

If you're talking about the four 1/2" nuts and bolts that secure the head support to the side brackets (legs), the manual (Reese 16K Hitch #30047) says to torque all 1/2" nuts to 75 ft-lb. The wrench or socket is 3/4", but the actual fastener size is 1/2" shank. Just to be sure, I went out and measured the nuts and bolts on my hitch.

Then I searched around and found a .pdf for the manual.

Thanks John, sorry for the confusion but yes that is exactly what I'm talking about, thanks for doing the leg work. I will get my torque wrench out tomorrow and set to 75 ft. lbs. Thanks so much.

Bobby A

Yes Bobby, in a perfect world they should not come loose. I do, however, check them every so often. They have alot of stress on them. I also take things apart once a year and grease everything. It's just the way I do it. Bob

Thanks Bob, yes, only in a perfect world, I can only Imagine !! How bout the bolts going through the bed supporting the rails of the hitch ?? have you ever heard of them coming loose ?? Thanks

Bobby A

You're welcome, Bobby. Maybe it's something we can add to the "Tools."

John, thanks for the PDF, WOW !! Thats alot of information, I never got anything like that with my hitch, I just got a little card with hitching information. I printed the file you attached, you would think that is information that should come with the hitch. Thanks again

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I did get a manual with my info packet. Score another point for General RV, Birch Run.