Invisible "swelling belly bar"

ChopperBill

Picked up the BH yesterday after another warranty trip. They did the "swelling belly bar" deal to the fresh tank. Wanted to take some pics but none could be taken. They put in inside the belly cover. They thought it would look better that way and I tend to agree. The service rep showed me the 4 inch channel iron they used. Over kill but it is a permanent fix! They wedged it up between the tank and the frame and bolted into place. If the tank gets out of there I am going to name it "Houdini" ;) The belly looks like it had a tummy tuck instead of being pregnant! While they were in the belly they made the drains go down hill. Now theres a concept! ;) In all fairness they had a Cedar Creek in there that they had the belly off and said the drains were all placed the deify gravity. Said there was no way those tanks could empty. They found a tank level sensor or two not hooked up very well and a ground not attached. All tanks read empty now when in fact the are! Fell real good about my dealers work. Next trip is Utah doing the Paiute ATV trail!

Uncle Rog

Hey Chopper, wish you could have gotten those pictures, I have postponed my "last" warranty trip until after bird season as most minor stuff I have remedied myself. I am going to try to have them open her up to check all the tank configurations and make sure that all is securely in place. Sounds like your dealer could give lessons on customer service......

ChopperBill

They didnt have all the warranty work orders ready when I picked mine up but are sending them to me to sign and they said they had some pictures of what they did. If they send them I will post them.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Just filled up the water tank and will going away on Sunday for 3 weeks. Thought I would fill the watertank because our drives will be short so I can keep an eye on the swelling belly syndrome. Hope it holds up!!

ChopperBill

My guess is that if you FILL the tank it is eventually going to fall out of it mountings. Cant see how it CAN stay in there. Mine fell out filling in the driveway the FIRST time I filled it. I think you don't hear about the problem more is that the majority of folk use full hook ups and don't need a tank of water. Us boon-dockers will have problems. Its like the satellite cables and the A/C not blowing. Sooner or later its going to get ya! :eek:

Uncle Rog

Chopper, I think you are right, my shower fix did not do the trick, I filled our fresh tank last night (still testing on property) somewhere in there when the tank gets full a little comes out of the overflow but now the liner leaks at the 1/4" holes I poked in it to drain previously. I will schedule a repair. My battery banks work like a charm, when I tke it in I will have them install my inverter/ charger and add a second spare tire. Thi is still the nicest rig we have ever had. Death Valley isn't until November, so we have time to get r all done...........

Loco

I take it you guys are talking about your fresh w/tanks

I have pictures posted on this site of tank fixes on a Cyclone that I had to do when ours fell. Plus wiring, and under cover repairs. They are in the Cyclone area. The fixed turned out great. May help others with there rigs also.

Loco

ChopperBill

Saw the pictures Loco! You were on quite a mission! was under mine yesterday to move the tank vents to a more accessible area. They were behind the wheels and had to crawl under to operate shut offs. Moved them to where the drain pipe exits. I caught a glimpse of my swelling belly bar. They used one heavy chunk of channel iron and ground the ends down so it would fit between the tank (plywood) and the frame rails then bolted it in. The tank plywood sits right on the channel so it not just a safety catch its a real restraining point. Looks pretty stout but am sure it added another 20lbs.