electrical problem on a 4012 cyclone

jamer

I just bought a used 4012 about 3 weeks ago. I plug my rv into shore power at the house. About a day or two goes by and the battery in almost dead. I started to notice that the lights would dim, as if they were running on just battery power. All of the items that I think run on some kind of converted power, like the radio, slides, lights, quit working. The battery was down to about 9 volts. I charged it and everything worked fine until the battery started slowly loosing power again. I still have stuff that runs off of strictly AC power (I think), like the plugs. It's as if nothing else is keeping the battery charged. Isn't there a power inverter that is supposed to charge the battery while connected to shore power? I have a manual on the power inverter with some suggestions on some diags to run, but I can't find the inverter. Does anyone know where this inverter might be located on a 4012? Am I going down the wrong path and should be looking at some other piece of equipment?

jimtoo

Hi jamer,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share.

I think your on the right track, but I do not know where the inverter is located. Probably is really close to the fuse and circuit breaker panel. But you will need to get access from behind the panel. One of the panels in the basement will need to be removed to gain access I'm sure. I think the inverter has 2 or 3 fuses on or near it that you need to be checked. Make sure you disconnect from shore power before doing a lot of exploring and checking, unless you know for sure what your doing.

I'm sure some one with a 4012 will jump in soon and tell us for sure the location of the inverter.

Meanwhile... enjoy the forum.

Jim M

tmcran

I'm nor familiar with your unit but my Sundance has the converter behind a wall in the basement.Look for a vent plate. Mine is located in the basement on the DS. Remove the screws and you can get to the converter.

crazybanshee

Jamer all your equipment is behind the basement panel next to the breaker panel. Check the breaker labeled inverter or it could have came unplugged.
Doug

jamer

Thanks everyone. I spent Easter evening poking around and found the unit. Seems odd to have it tucked away in a place where there is not a lot of air, but I guess it's safest. That is one nice Tow Vehicle crazybanshee.

jamer

No, I think the problem was with a dead battery. The battery was reading about 9 volts and items like lights, radio, slides... pretty much everything except for my outlets quit working. I don't think I fully understand how everything is supposed to work electrically yet. Once I charged the battery (it's reading was up to a little over 12 volts), then everything worked fine. I monitored the battery for a couple of days and it appears to be up around 13.2 volts now. I thought that the converter would charge even a dead battery. I guess not, or maybe I still have a problem and don't know yet. I just purchased this unit a few weeks ago, so I'm still trying to figure out how everything works before we make our first trip (staying close to home just in case).

porthole

Retired
Our toy haulers have big converters in them, typical is 80 amps. That is more then sufficient to charge a dead battery. Do you see the lights get a little brighter when you hook up the shore power?

A fully charged 12volt automotive battery should read about 12.6-13.2 volts. Each of the 6 cells should have a current of 2.2-2.2 volts.

A proper charging system needs to supply more then 13.2 volt sin order to charge the battery.

Typical chargers and converters (and the alternator in your vehicle) will charge in the range of 13.8-14.8 volts, with around 14-14.5 being typical.