which generator

MICKEY

Past Florida Chapter Leader
My BH 3585 will be here in a few weeks. I added the gen prep expecting to install a generator for boondocking and those occasions where we stop enroute. My TV is diesel and I anticipated getting a diesel genset. After looking through literature from onan I realize there is a significant difference in weight and surely price. What suggestions would most of you have concerning fuel source, wattage, portable verses installed. Currently I have portable Honda 3000IS. Very quiet, own fuel tank, little light for summer duties with A\C. Also if I go with Diesel of Gas Onan, where is fuel supply located. The only experience I have with built in units is with lp power and was on c model.
We anticipate retiring in a couple of years and would like to travel extensively out west. We figured ( southern for thought about) boondocking would increase while traveling parks and recreation areas. Therefore lifespan for genset starts to become more important, lp starts to get expensive. Give me suggestions.

Mickey

jimtoo

Hi Mickey,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I do not have a generator myself, but some of the others will be here shortly with their ideas.

Meanwhile, enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Bighurt

I've been looking at the Onan generators as well they actually have two small models only one listed online the 3200, but according to the rep there is a 3600 as well. The list price is up there $3800, and the weight 205 for the 3200. For me with my one AC the 3200 is all I need and with my F350 it makes sense to have a diesel generator.

The downside is none of the Onan models come equipped with a fuel tank, they need to tap a fuel cell of some sort. Combined with the size I have no place to put the unit. I'm contemplating building a rear platform for the rear bumper and mounting it and the tank there, but the weight maybe an issue.

The fuel supply and return are on the same side as the AC output, and the exhaust goes out the bottom.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

wdk450

I have been thinking along the same lines - a lightweight, quiet, diesel generator so I could tap my 45 gallon truck fuel tank. Unfortunately, such an animal doesn't exist. Small diesels are heavy and noisy.

I don't know if other RV owners think this way, but I like to think of my trailer also as an emergency mobile shelter in case of local civil disaster. We have food, water and shelter. With electricity, we can draw more water from open sources with my submersible sump pump, filter it through external cartridge filters, and sanitize it in the tank with the pool shock chlorine I keep on hand.

Another argument for a generator or inverter power system presented itself at the Fall Central California rally last year. A freak occurance caused a major power transmission line in the area to be severed, and the RV park was without power for about 14 hours. My wife needs to run an electrical dialysis machine every night. We were up the creek until the power came back on.

As to the generator, I have seen used RV generators on Craig's list, at my local independent RV repairer, and at RV recyclers online. You might want to look at the lightweight, quiet, portable gasoline units from Honda, Kipor, Boliy, or the like, along with jerry cans to feed them.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Unfortunately, Honda no longer makes RV generators. Your choices for built-in are pretty much Onan and Generac.

jgallego

I have an Onan gold 5500 that can power everything on the rig. It runs on my propane tanks so I do not have to worry about carrying additional fuel. It has worked good for us.
Jaime

MICKEY

Past Florida Chapter Leader
Jamie;
what kind of fuel economy do you get, how much do you use your gen. Looking more and more like I may have to go with LP. Talked to cummins south rep and he gave me prices for diesel. Heck I can buy 2 plus gas or LP gens for price of diesel. Do you carry spare LP tanks?

Okieman

You may already have purchased your generator based on the date of your post. I also wanted a diesel generator. See Details in this post.​

Last edited by a moderator: