Diesel access in route Alaska?

Tankie

I was wondering how accessible the diesel stations are for 5th wheels once you hit BC?:confused: Thanks

ralphpam

You should be OK but not knowing how much fuel you carry and your average mpg I can not say for sure.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
We were up to Alaska 2006 and had no problem finding Diesel. As ralphpam said, know your fuel consumption and if the next town is beyond your comfort level fuel up where you are..../Doug

Tankie

Fuel cap. is 55 gal. I would say 9-10 mpg to play it safe depending on terrain. How are the stations for maneuverability? I searched for truck stops on truck miles and there are very few and very far in between. Thanks

beardedone

Beardedone
There is lots of diesel available up there. I carried two jerry cans of it and never needed them. Just use common sense and you won't have a problem.

Two Hands

We made the drive to Alaska this last summer with our 2007 Big Horn 3055RL and 2007 Chevrolet 2500HD diesel which gets about 11.5 when towing. As I understand it Canadian law requires that every gas station is required to have diesel as well as gas. We found that to be true. I carried extra diesel, but never needed it. We never had any problem finding a station that had plenty of room. The Milepost was always very accurate in telling us where we could find fuel. However, when we got down to half a tank or had traveled about 200 miles we filled up at the very next station we came to. A friend had driven the same route the previous year and had run out of diesel once. He readily admitted there was no reason to have done so.

Tankie

Thank you all. I just bought The Milepost very good book.
Two Hands, did you take the Cassiar Highway? Thanks again.

Two Hands

No, we did not take the Cassiar Highway. We followed Highway 1 and then 97 to Dawson Creek where we got on the Alaska Highway.

nhunter

We made the drive to Alaska this last summer with our 2007 Big Horn 3055RL and 2007 Chevrolet 2500HD diesel which gets about 11.5 when towing. As I understand it Canadian law requires that every gas station is required to have diesel as well as gas. We found that to be true. I carried extra diesel, but never needed it. We never had any problem finding a station that had plenty of room. The Milepost was always very accurate in telling us where we could find fuel. However, when we got down to half a tank or had traveled about 200 miles we filled up at the very next station we came to. A friend had driven the same route the previous year and had run out of diesel once. He readily admitted there was no reason to have done so.
I don't think it is a law but most do. Some of the city ones don't.

ralphpam

We did take the Cassiar Highway twice and on the second trip one of the fuel stops had closed down. Fuel up when you can and you should be OK.

beardedone

Beardedone
Just for your info there is no law required gasoline retailers to sell diesel. The one thing you should watch for is to buy your diesel at large volumne dealers or out of above ground tanks. Carry extra fuel filters in case you do get any water in your fuel.

Tankie

Is fuel quality just bad or is it the colder climate. Is there cheveron or shell up there? if not what are some of the large dealer names? Thanks

beardedone

Beardedone
Shell, Petrol-Canada come to mind. A lot of Real Canadian Super Store (food) have fuel bars and sell diesel. Their fuel has been good (I think Shell source) and you get a coupon for food purchase, usually around 5 cents. Even Safeway sells it in some of their stores.

nhunter

Is fuel quality just bad or is it the colder climate. Is there cheveron or shell up there? if not what are some of the large dealer names? Thanks
Fuel quality is not poor but some of the smaller stations that don't move much product can get water from sitting for a while. I always carry a set of fuel filters cause you never know. If you have the fortune to fill up after the tanker fills the tank, you may need one.

beardedone

Beardedone
I even carried extra filters when I went to Arizona this winter. You can get bad fuel anywhere so it is wise to carry extra filters and to check your separator from time to time.