Firestone Air Bags

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
Next weekends project is set. purchased Firestone Air Bags for the TV (2008 2500HD Extended DA). towed home the new fiver (ER 34QSRL) 160 miles and felt great. Measured the suspension hooked up before and after loading with most of our gear. It dropped an additional 1 1/2" after only 1/2" dry. Doesn't look to hard but surely will be posting if any problems arise. Still think the DW brings too much when travelling. Have read nothing but good things about towing with the bags.

caissiel

Congradulation.

On the first day, I have towed mine with all the tanks at 2/3 full.
Fords love it when towing heavy loads.

mnkamper

Founding MN Chapter Leader-retired
Great Timing, I'm working on the same project! Hopefully someone has a suggestion.
I have a 2007 2500 HD 4X4 GMC Classic CC DA. I've started to put the Firestone Air Bags with accessory kit on it.
Directions make perfect sense....except first thing is a problem. For those of you that have installed on a like TV.... where did you install the compressor? I'm not finding a square inch of space under the hood! Hate to use up space in the box that it could get bumped etc.?

mnkamper

Looks like it's going to have to go under the back seat! Any other suggestions?

Pizzaguy

I mounted mine under rear seat floorboard next to the frame.This way all the lines and wires can be inside the truck frame and somewhat protected.Been on there a year now and have not had one problem with leaks.

MurrayN.

When I had my PacBrake installed they put the compressor in the engine compartment, which didn't work so good because it got so hot under there that the thermal overload would kick out and then my compressor would be dead and no exhaust brake. So I took mine out of there and mounted it under my driver's door against the main frame. I took a piece of mud flap and hung it 8" in front of the compressor and wrapped it around under it (open to the back) to protect it from stones and other junk. This worked perfect for me, and I'm sure that it is almost the identical compressor that your airbags use.

mnkamper

Thanks for the feedback!
After reading the instructions, I've been a little worried about installing it on the frame cuz it would be open to the salt, dirt etc. The flap sounds like a good idea!
MN winters are not kind!

This compressor has a air filter too.... did you install that on the frame as well?

MurrayN.

The air filter is on a long skinny rubber hose that I have going back up into the engine compartment and is tied on in the brake fluid reservoir area. You can run your airlines inside of the frame to protect them from road debris. I don't see why this wouldn't work very well for your airbag application. Best of luck!

porthole

Retired
The compressor on my 06 Sierra is under the back seat. I also have the wireless controller which is a "well worth it" upgrade.

I need to adjust the air just to get out of my driveway.

I dump the air, get on the street and then hit the button and go.

Attachments

• D30_4854b.JPG
    D30_4854b.JPG
    371.8 KB · Views: 40

mnkamper

Yeah... I finished Firestone Bags Install this weekend!
I bolted the compressor and tank on the frame under back passenger door, built a steel box and bolted that to frame around compressor to protect it and left the back open. Single controller is in cab next to brake controller. I installed aux. line next to 7 pin connector in back.
It works sweet!

porthole

Retired
Attached are pictures of the wireless kit and compressor installed in the rear of my cab. This is under the drivers side rear seat flap.

The wireless controller is capable of 4 zones and can be adjusted anytime the power is on.

There are 2 presets available.

Attachments

• air bag controlsn.jpg
    air bag controlsn.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 44
  • air bag controlsn.jpg
    air bag controlsn.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 34
  • air bag controlsn.jpg
    air bag controlsn.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 31