3250TS Roofing

DanDargay

DanDargay
I have a 2011 BC 3250TS with only two (2) short camping trips on it (new 10/31/2009). In getting the unit ready for our first trip this Spring, I was on the roof checking things out and noticed something that disturbed me. There are two (2) seams that run from side to side. I noticed that when I walked close to either seam, that the roof moves up and down (not solid). There appears to be a gap between each roof section. In addition to these seams, there is a void along both sides of the roof, front to back about an inch to 1 1/2 inches wide where the rubber roofing material is not glued to the wood roofing. This is were the curved edging meets the flat roofing. Both of these areas of the roof appear to be a potential problem in the future. The warranty on the unit is 1 year it's half over now and I don't see a problem in in the next 6 mons. But what will happen in the next few years?????? We paid big bucks for this unit, could have bought something for a lot less, but we wanted the best and this roofing system is supposed to be thr best per your ads. We wanted a unit that would last a long time (years). I am now wondering if we made the right choice. Need help in correcting this problem.
Dan Dargay

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Dan, I think the first thing you should do is take some pictures for the record and then discuss your concerns with your dealer. I'm not familiar with the new laminated roof. You could also ask your dealer if he would allow you to inspect some other Heartlands on the lot to see if they have a situation similar to yours. Feel free to call Heartland if your dealer doesn't give you satisfactory results. Be sure to have your VIN handy when you call.

Last edited:
B

bwwalczak

From what you describe on the post, this sounds normal. If you feel that there is something has gone wrong, please feel free to contact our service department with the most important feature - pictures.

Service department phone number is: 574-262-8030

DanDargay

DanDargay
Thanks for the replies. I will take some pics, contact customer service and my dealer. When I first picked up our unit, I did advise dealer that I was not happy with the rubber roofing having voids ( not glued ) at the edges of the roof. I'm in construction business and a seam not having a solid surface under it is not a good practice in home building especially on a roof. I would hope that Heartland would follow a similiar practice.
Dan Dargay

DanDargay

DanDargay
Thanks for the replies. I will take some pics, contact customer service and my dealer. When I first picked up our unit, I did advise dealer that I was not happy with the rubber roofing having voids ( not glued ) at the edges of the roof. I'm in construction business and a seam not having a solid surface under it is not a good practice in home building especially on a roof. I would hope that Heartland would follow a similiar practice.
Dan Dargay

Just an update on this roof. I have visited both my dealer and factory. I've looked @ the roof sections before they were installed on a trailer. I've walked around other new trailers and have come to the conclusion that this standard build for these laminates roofs that are producted by Heartland. I DON'T REALLY LIKE IT BUT there is not much I can do except make everyone aware
just in case I encounter a problem in the coming years of use.

REASON FOR GAP - the laminated roof sections are made with the ends square and when they are placed end to end with the angle transation from one section to another, the result is a tight seam at the bottom of the seam and a wide gap at the top. To illustrate what I am saying take two books the same thickness, lay them flat then raise them where they are butt together and see what happens.

The factory should either build the roof sections with an angle on the appropiate ends or fill in the gap at the top end with some sort of filler or cover gap with strip before installing rubber roof.

Other than this roof problem, we are very happy with our unit no other major problems.