Rifle Gap State Park, Colorado

Two Hands

We will be camping in Colorado in late August this year. One of the state parks I chose was Rifle Gap State Park. But, the more I read about the park the less I am sure I want to stay there. The web site talks about it being a great place for power boaters, water skiers and jet skiers. I wanted to stay there for the mountain quiet and scenery. Sites with full hookups added to my desire to camp there. Would anyone please comment on the park or recommend someplace nearby that might be a better place to experience mountain camping while still having the luxury of full or partial hookups.

Cimriver

As I recall Rifle Gap is not the prettiest of campgrounds a scenery goes. I think it is pretty boater oriented.

One place you might consider is Ridgway State Park. It may be too far off of I-70 for you, but IMO is a much better choice. They do have some sites that are FHU. The prettier sites are electic only. There are lots of things to see in the Ridgway area. This is the prettiest area in Colorado IMO. Ridgway is south of Grand Junction about 75 miles.

tmcran

As I recall Rifle Gap is not the prettiest of campgrounds a scenery goes. I think it is pretty boater oriented.

One place you might consider is Ridgway State Park. It may be too far off of I-70 for you, but IMO is a much better choice. They do have some sites that are FHU. The prettier sites are electic only. There are lots of things to see in the Ridgway area. This is the prettiest area in Colorado IMO. Ridgway is south of Grand Junction about 75 miles.

There was a cafe at Ridgeway a number of years ago that had the best pie I ever ate.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We ate at the True Grit Cafe last year. Very interesting place. Great pies too!

Cimriver

Bingo! The movie was actually filmed up on Owl Creek Pass. If you watch the movie and then go over the pass you will see several of the rock formations used as backdrops in the movie. You will also see the open meadow where John Wayne had his gunfight on horseback.

This is one of my favorite areas in Colorado so easy to get me talking about.

Sorry for hijacking the OP's post here.

Gordon