Problem with 2010 wheel corrosion

Camper4

The finish is chipping off of my 2010 Sundance wheels. The trailer was purchased new in December. Has anyone else had this problem with the wheels on their Sundance trailers? I'm hoping this is a warranty item, if anyone else has had this problem how did you resolve it?

Thanks for reading,
Dale

jimtoo

Hi Camper4,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I'm sure someone will jump in here with a response to your question soon. And I am moving the thread to the Sundance area where maybe more of the Sundance people will see it.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Netem

Camper4, You didn't say which wheels you have. I have the aluminum on my Sundance and have had no problems so far. Post some pictures if you can and maybe someone else will chime in.

Camper4

Netem, Sorry. I have the aluminum wheels. It looks to me that coating or clear coat came loose around lug nuts (whitch are rusting already) and started to spread outwards. I've only pulled the trailer from the dealer to home, apx. 120 miles. I called the dealer and am waiting for a call back. They had to call Heartland. I'll try to post pictures later. Dale

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
View attachment 7695View attachment 7694Here are a couple of pics. The dealer has sent pics to the tire vendor. I'm waiting for their reply, I hope its good. dale

For some reason, your photo links come up as invalid attachments. But, if the coating around the lug nuts has been compromised and there is already significant rusting of the nuts, then what you may have is called filiform corrosion of the aluminum wheel. This occurs when a corrosive substance, like chloride from salt, gets under the clear coat and attacks the aluminum. It may look like a gray or black lump lifting the coating or little "fingers" of corrosion spreading from the site of origin. This can also occur with clear coated aluminum wheels that an owner repeated gets balanced using the weights that get crimped onto the rim.

There is no fix for this. Once the corrosion starts under the coating, it's permanent.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You're welcome, Dale. For the most part, it's cosmetic on the exterior of the rim. A real problem occurs if the lube used to mount the tires to the rims contains corrosive agents. Then the air seal can be comprised by this corrosion due to the scraping of the coating when mounting the tire. Real experience with that.