Possible to use different tire size?

wyleyrabbit

Hi Everyone,

Let me start by stating the obvious: I don't know a whole lot about tires...but I'm sure someone here does. :D

Currently, I think the tire size is ST235/80R16E but so many tire stores don't carry that exact size. I was wondering if it's possible to use an alternate tire size on the Bighorn.

Also, can one go with "LT" tires instead of the "ST" tires?

Chris

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Hi Chris.
I just put new tires on my 3055. Got the Goodyear Marathon's. Looked at many other Brands, most were Chinese knock-off's. Got them from Dale's automotive on th Surrey Langley boarder. Best price by far.
PM me and I will give you thier phone number or call me @ 604 946 2701

Clark

After losing the tread on one of my origional tires, I followed the advise of several members here and bought a set of five Goodyear G614 tires. The rims are rated for G tire and they seem to come well recommended. Mine are working well so far.

wyleyrabbit

Hi Chris.
I just put new tires on my 3055. Got the Goodyear Marathon's. Looked at many other Brands, most were Chinese knock-off's. Got them from Dale's automotive on th Surrey Langley boarder. Best price by far.
PM me and I will give you thier phone number or call me @ 604 946 2701

Hi Rand,

So what size of Goodyear Marathons did you get? Was it the ST235/80R16E?

Cheers,
Chris

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hi Wabbit
There have been a lot of threads on tires. I have a Bighorn 3400RE. When I drove off the dealers lot I went to Discount Tire and put on Michelin LT235/85R16 E XPS RIB tires.

They are E rated and I think they will work on your 3055 quite well. You shouldn't need to go to G for that trailer. They are LT and have a speed rating of 98mph. The ST has a speed limit of 65mph.

Here are some great thread discussions:
Read this one.. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/12076-Trailer-Tires-Explained?highlight=LT235%2F85R16

Lots of information:
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/14705-Which-Size-to-replace-China-Bombs?highlight=LT235/85R16
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/14358-Michelin-Tires?highlight=LT235/85R16
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/12877-tires-shocks?highlight=LT235/85R16

You can do a search using LT235/85R16 and get a ton of threads discussing this topic.

Hope this helps. Be sure to read the first link.

BC

2010augusta

Just FYI, but the Goodyear marathon 235/80R16E's are MADE IN CHINA. some of the small and lighter tires are made in the US, Canada, and New Zealand, but that particular tire is not.

tire info..JPG

Two Hands

I would think that if you put the wrong size tires on your Big Horn you could be in big trouble. Do the safe thing and call the service people at Heartland and ask what size tires you can use. When I blew an original equipment tire I consulted with a Michelin dealer who recommended a replacement which was slightly higher and wider. I phoned Heartland and quickly learned that it was a safe replacement size. So far those four Michelin tires have been excellent.

lwmcguir

If you keep your coach reasonable level on the road the clearance you will be most likely to have an issue with it the distance between the sidewall and the tire. This can get quite close with an axle that moves or a low tire. Tires of the same size are not necessarily the same size although they are supposed to be. Goodyear all steel or Michelin's are your best bet for all around performance.

Wharton

Afer having encountered tread separation we switched to Goodyear G614. Have never had a problem since and we switched to the 614(or a previous version) 15 years ago, maybe longer.

TireHobby

The reference below is going to support most of what I’m going to say and it’s from the folks that make the rules.

When it comes time for replacement RV trailer tires for whatever reason the first place to go for expert information is your owners manual. You can then confirm your tire size and inflation pressures as listed on the tire placard on your trailer.

The manufacturer is your expert information source. They designed the trailer, selected the OE tires and will have a list of upgrades to recommend if that’s the direction you want to go in.

The most common upgrade for the 6000# axle is a stronger LRE tire or an upgrade to LRF or LRG. Axle spacing and wheel/hub compatibility must also be confirmed as the LRF will require 95 psi and the LRG a whopping 110 psi. All of those upgrades are for 16” wheels.

The 7000# axle is often being fitted with the ST235/80R16 LRE tire with a load capacity of 3520#. It’s a very minimal tire for that axle and most will upgrade to the GY G614 LRG tire or another less expensive LRG. Another popular upgrade and a very compatibly fitment is the 17.5” commercial truck tire with LRG & LRH being the popular choices. There is a wide selection of tires for the 17.5” wheels.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/Equipment/towing/tire_safety.htm

TireHobby