Refigator Stop Working Today

scotty

:confused: Got up this morning, frig temp 40 degrees, freezer still pretty cold. "CHECK" lite lit very dimmely (sp). Does same on gas or electric. Went outside , removed vent cover and coils not hot. Not sure what's happening. Has anyone replaced their RV frig with a small house unit. Not that worried about traveling and keeping frig running, but wondering if one would fit and if anyone has done that?

MC9

Had two "neighbors" replace their dometics with house fridges. They had no trouble finding fridges that were an exact fit. They both leave their rigs (Green Valley,AZ) here for the summer.

wdk450

Mr Scott:
I am suspicous of your check light being lit "dimly". The refrigerator uses 12 volts from your battery for logic functions (including lighting the status lights) and igniting and shutting on-off the propane flame. I believe there are 12 volt fuses on your refrigerator logic board. There are Norcold manuals availible on this site if you click on "Tools" at the top of this page, then "appliances", then "Refrigerators".
Get a meter and check the 12 volts around/on the refrigerator circuit board. You want to unplug the 120 volt plug before doing this.

2010augusta

I would be checking the 12 volt system first. low battery power or a blown fuse, would be my prime suspect for the issue.

scotty

Mr Scott:
I am suspicous of your check light being lit "dimly". The refrigerator uses 12 volts from your battery for logic functions (including lighting the status lights) and igniting and shutting on-off the propane flame. I believe there are 12 volt fuses on your refrigerator logic board. There are Norcold manuals availible on this site if you click on "Tools" at the top of this page, then "appliances", then "Refrigerators".
Get a meter and check the 12 volts around/on the refrigerator circuit board. You want to unplug the 120 volt plug before doing this.

:)Thanks I'll try that for sure.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
scotty, as others have said, it sounds like a low or no voltage issue. That said, if you do find issues that are too expensive to repair, there are several 12 cu.ft. refrigerators available that will fit the opening. You have to be aware of the need for space around the side and back walls for these units for cooling purposes. I know two friends that have replaced their RV unit with a "house" unit. You will need to know your measurements of the opening but they are roughly 24" wide and deep and 60" tall. It can be done.

scotty

Re: Refigator Stop Working Today ( Update)

Update! :confused: Can't explain issue, checked all twelve volt, fuses battery, found nothing. :eek:Turned Frig on electric and went out for three hours, came back inside frig temp 28. :cool: No problem, loaded food back in. Thinking I'll try gas, workin good now. CHECK light still very dimly lit :confused: don't know but all seems find. Temp has stayed around 36, no higher and we're having a 90 degree day here in Jersey. Must of been one of thoses gremlins, oh well at least for now all is good. Thanks for all of the inputs.

wdk450

Mr Scott: (l love typing that like Capt. Kirk)
I still don't like the sound of the dim check light. I everthing else works OK, then what the heck. If not, the next step might be a new refrigerator logic board. If you are out of warranty, I would contact Dinosaur Electronics who makes 3rd party boards for RV appliances that are cheaper (and reputed to be better) than the originals. This is a focused small business that knows their specialty.
Here is their link: http://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

Just as a side note to all reading this thread. Be aware if you replace your fridge with a residential unit it will not be a two-way (electric and propane) one. Most likely it will only work on 110 volt power.