Group camping w/o enclosed facilities

tspearcy

Buddy Bear's Mom and Dad
Hello to all . . . .Tom & I have been involved in starting a new RV group based in Northwest Arkansas which is part of the S*M*A*R*T organization (Special Military Active-Retired Travel Club). Check us out at http://www.smartardiamonds.pearcys.com . We would love to hear from anyone who has organized a group event and planned it in a campground, all of our country's state parks, corp parks etc., where there are no enclosed facilities for weather protection and/or cooking/electricity/water.....obviously, we've considered the portable canopies, etc., but any ideas you may have would be great. Be nice, now !!!! ;)

jbeletti

Hi Sandy,

What you and Tom do with SMART is terrific!

I have some feedback based on my limited experience with various event types over the years.

Using the assumption there is no fully enclosed shelter, that there may or may not be a picnic shelter, that there is no power and water may be nearby but not connectable - here's my input:

• Use the picnic shelter (roof only) when available, then use portable tents shelters (EZ-Up etc.) as needed. Weight them down - don't ask my why :eek:
  • Bring water in using gallon jugs or larger. If you can maneuver an RV nearby, maybe the water tank on it can be used
  • I have used a Honda 2000 watt generator for roasters with success

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We just left one of the Texas state parks. There, you have many options, with a group camping area with a large enclosed dining hall with complete kitchen. There are tent areas with water but no power, and lastly, screen shelters with water and 15 amp electricity. Tents, shelters, EZ-ups etc can be used in both the tent areas and screen shelters.