Bulb Questions

Dougstdig

First, What type of bulb goes in the white security lights on either side of the trailer (Bighorn 3400RL)...I think they are the security lights.

Second, I'm considering changing all exterior lighting to LED's. I don't know why the front clearance lights are the only LED's on the trailer, but I want to be able to change them all out. Should it be a direct swap?

At an RV dealer there was a trailer that had all of the exterior lights (marker, tail and side) on. They had a jumper running from one slot to another on the pigtail. I want to do this a extra security due to some of the dark places I have to park. What is the recommended guage wireing and which slots are jumped?

Thanks!!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I can't tell you what the bulbs are in the "scare" lights, you will have to take a lens off and check it out.
As for the clearance lights, I and several others have done just that. It will be a direct swap, however, when working with LED's, polarity is important. Check to make sure they light before soldering or crimping your wires. I soldered mine.
I have a piece of #12 wire about 5 inches long, bent in a U with only the last half inch of insulation stripped of on each end, that I use for a jumper. I don't recall off hand which slots to jump, but if you look on the male end at your truck it will tell you which terminal is for what. I just use the jumper to check my lights.

Peace
Dave

2010augusta

I don't know the bulb number off hand for the scare lights, but to jump the 7-pin plug you can jump slot 3 to slot 4 with a 14-12 gage wire.
check out the wiki for pictures of the 7-pin plug layout.
Wiki artical 7-Pin_Harness

talley

Scare light bulb in my 2006 Big Horn was an 1156. I recently replaced these with an 1141. I have replaced the clear lens on both lights twice! I was told (and I believe) that the 1156, which is called for, can become too hot and over time tends to cause the lens to "craze". Of course the 1156 is nice and bright, but...

Dougstdig

Scare light bulb in my 2006 Big Horn was an 1156. I recently replaced these with an 1141. I have replaced the clear lens on both lights twice! I was told (and I believe) that the 1156, which is called for, can become too hot and over time tends to cause the lens to "craze". Of course the 1156 is nice and bright, but...

Hey All...thanks for the reply's!

Thanks for the bulb types. They make LED's for these lights now as well. I'll take this information in and see what I can get.

Willym

Regarding the jumper on the connector to illuminate your trailer running lights. It's best to use a fuse to do this jumper. The fuse will plug directly into the 7 pin connector. A 10 amp version should suffice and will provide wiring protection.

caissiel

I usualy jump the battery line with the parking /Tail light pin in the trailer connector. The battery line is usually protected with a higher amperage circuit breaker so a fused line could be made to jump it. The most practicle method could be a jumped 7 pin male plug wired to plug in the trailer plug.

What I mean is to purchase a new male plug and do the jumper and fuse wiring on the plug and use it to do the connection when needed, that way you have the right wiring all the time and no chance to plug the wrong pin selection specialy the Ground to the 12Volt connection.

I used an old plug I replaced on my truck to do one of these plug.