short box truck and slider hitch

caper

just trying to find out from someone who actually has a heartland fifth wheel if you really dont need a slider hitch the one hitch that ai want to buy is a curt 20k can some one help me out my 5er is almost here and still havent decided what to do .

jbeletti

I have had 3 Heartland 5th wheels and have never owned a slider hitch. I am using my Curt Q5 20k on my second Heartland with no need for a slider. I do have a long bed. You should hear from many owners that do not use a slider hitch and have found the front cap design to be very useful in terms of your ability to do an 88 degree turn and with a short bed truck.

Jim

tmcran

I have short bed. No slider and I have put the RV in some really tight places. I don't see any need to spend the extra for a slider--JMO

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Have a slider...never used it. Had a short box 2500 and have made more than a 88* turn. Save your money.

buckeyebob

i have curt 20k ,short box chevy,2900mk sundance.i did have to put curt on top hole to get bed rail clearance on higher new style on 07 chevy.dont need slider,but what is your truck?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I am another with a short bed 07 GMC Classic. I tow a Bighorn and use a Curt Q5 20K. Two and a half years and have not needed a slider.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
I don't see where the OP mentions what trailer he is getting.
Cyclones and RW's are 5" wider then the other models. I absolutely would not be without my slider.
I've documented it fairly well here with pictures.

I would also consider what type of sites you usually hit.
Backing into a steep driveway while swinging the trailer can also be an issue.
There is one site we go to every year (not an RV campground) that within 100 feet I go from nearly scraping the bottom of the trailer to having to watch the top of the truck cab with the middle front of the trailer and that is with the Super glide moving on it's own.

For those that don't know, the below pictures are GMC Sierra, 6.5 bed with a SupergGlide hitch. In the 1st two the truck and traielr are 90 degrees and the SuperGlide has moved the pin back 14".
Divided in half that leaves an extra 7" from the cab to trailer, IIRC the distance shown in this picture, on level ground is about 5".

Attachments

• D30_4498.JPG
    D30_4498.JPG
    234.5 KB · Views: 132
  • D30_4497.JPG
    D30_4497.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 114
  • D30_4854b..JPG
    D30_4854b..JPG
    382.2 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

jbeletti

Duane makes a great point on the extra width of his Cyclone. Also, because most of of do not use a slider hitch, does not mean there is no value to owning and using one. There surely is.

Jim

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
i bought a slider for my last sob unit and used it all the time. after one trip and backing into a tight drive at home with the new ER34QSRL i don't know if i will ever use the slide again. That being said i don't plan on getting rid of it since it may come of use in some situation. my TV is 08 Chevy (what else) 2500HD DA

jolar3329

I have a short bed 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 HD and haul a Big Horn 3670. I do not have to use the slider hitch.

goodtruck

Have a 05 dodge 2500 short bed quadcab that had a slider in it when i got it I used it once and will not use it again (no need) there is plenty of room without it save your money and get something that you can use.

caper

thanks a lot guys could not beleve how many replys i got .the fifth wheel i am getting is a 2011 sundance 285bh xlt but have plans on getting a sundance 3300rlb

sloans4x4

will the slider hitch fit in the same rails as non slider hitches? i have a Reese 15k non slider and a 2001 f-250 crewcab shortbed 4x4. And plan on getting a Sundance 5th wheel in the next couple years. have looked at others as well. Seems that most of the newer ('06 and up) 5th wheels have alot better front caps as far as room for turning. But if I end up needing a slider, will I be able to just get the hitch and use the rails I have now?

Shane

jcarnevale

I can not back up to 88 degrees (see signature below for rig combination). I can go to about 75 degrees. I will hit the cab if I'm not careful. The pin is approximately 2 15/16" in front of the axle (as per rail kit 50082 instructions). It will not hit anything driving forward with steering wheel locked in turn.

Jay

029sm.jpg028sm.jpgHitch.jpg

lotus

I recently purchased a 2006 Landmark and have a F350 with 6.5 foot bed. I have not yet purchased a 5th hitch. I read some use sliders and some do not. Those who do not use sliders, is your hitch location relative to your rear axle identical to long bed owners, or do you mount it further back in the truck?

Thanks

porthole

Retired
The pictrures jcarnevale posted are a perfect example of "your mileage may vary" and why I had a Super Glide for my previous truck.

lwmcguir

I recently purchased a 2006 Landmark and have a F350 with 6.5 foot bed. I have not yet purchased a 5th hitch. I read some use sliders and some do not. Those who do not use sliders, is your hitch location relative to your rear axle identical to long bed owners, or do you mount it further back in the truck?

Thanks

For proper handling the center of the pin/ball should be 3.5 inches forward of the center of the rear axle. We use a short bed sometimes and have no need for a slider with the 5th Airborne pin box. The hitch center should never be back any further than this.