New water heater won"t light

anggirl

We have a new 2011 3450 BC. We have had it since Jan. and NEVER used it...when dewinterizing and preparing for 1st use there was a leaky valve on toilet that made it unusable...after a month at dealership we finally get to check out all water related items including water heater which we now find will run on electric but will not light for use with propane...my husband has tried hundreds of times all day today to get it to light with no luck. The switch is turned on and no click or sound whatsoever..no indication of ANYTHING. Any advice? Please, tell me we don't have to take it in to the shop again..it was not a pleasant experience before and we bought the camper to work out of and we don't have another month to spend waiting for it to get out of the shop...we have to head out on a job!

tmcran

Not tying to be funny --But always check the obvious first. Got propane? tanks turned on ? Have you used anything else that uses propane such at the stove or heater? Do they work? You say switch --is that the switch in the outside on the water heater and the switch inside on the control panel.

tmcran

Have you checked all the fuses? There are a number of folks that have a lot of knowledge and I'm sure you will get some help. Can you called the dealer and see if he can give you some advise?

Last edited:

sunflower

Is the water hot from the electric element?I had a unit that would not light if the heater was up to temp. by electricity,had to use some hot water to get temp.down then it would start by propane.

jnbhobe

Is the water hot from the electric element?I had a unit that would not light if the heater was up to temp. by electricity,had to use some hot water to get temp.down then it would start by propane.
A very good point, Most people wouldn't think of that. Jon :cool:

anggirl

Update: I guess I'l have to retract my "yes" answer to the question about the switches...did not realize there were 3 switches...2 in the closet and 1 on outside. The one on the holding tank panel inside marked heater is the one we were missing...obviously(now!). Thanks for all your responses!