Aluminum Rims

v92c

Texan
Scott or Coley,
Yesterday I had a rim come apart on my 3655RD, I had 105psi in each tire. My question is, Has this been a problem with the aluminum rims? Since it was a rather violent explosion when the rim parted I am concerned that the others will fail, and that someone may be injured by a tire flying down the highway. It is currently at the Southwest RV in Katy Texas. They said they would have to send the tire and rim to the factory, I also wonder how long it will take to resolve this issue.

Thanks
Tony

Scott

Make sure they get good pictures first of the rim, that way we can send them to the mfg. of the rim - and maybe bypass the sending the rim in.
In terms of time, if the dealer puts the parts order in, it shouldn't take too long to order the rim and have it shipped down there. Sometimes, the rims are available in the market area as well.

ST

I have just returned from a trip to Maine. The aluminum rims on my 3600RL have been on the rig for a year that I know of. During my trip I stopped at a rest area and noticed that I had a tire going soft, I check my tires at every rest area I pull into because I had a Tire blow on another trip and caused 1,200.00 dollars damage to a car following me I do not know the cause of this failure. To get back to the rim problem this time I changed the tire in the rest area and put the spare on. When I got to my destination I discovered I had a pin size hole in the Rim. I could not find a rim with the weight rating required, so the dealer I bought my rig from sent me a spare tire and rim through ups.. If I had not discover the soft tire I would have had a second tire liberation. There seems to be a problem with the tires and rims. Only speaking from experience.:mad:

v92c

Texan
Scott
Is there anyway you can check to see what is going on with the rim for my RV? It has been over 2 months, and it was supposed to be expidiated.

I am going to have to tell you, I am losing faith. Along with that they are several other items that were supposed to be ordered. It certainly doesnt seem to be on anyone list of priorities to get this fixed. Some of the warranty issues have been outstanding since we bought the camper in March.

It is Southwest RV Katy Texas. Under the name Stewart

Trap

Tires and Rims

All these problems with tires and rims is becoming a big concern. It seems like after you buy the coach you have to plan on going out and spending another 3k on new tires and rims.

Trap

vangoes

Tire Pressure

I keep reading about blowouts and tire pressures. Its seems most post are saying they are inflating tires to 110 psi. The tires on my BH are of the Karrier make and say max. inflation is 90 psi. Is there that much difference in pressures between brands? Or should I be using more pressure than the tire max?

K

Ken Washington

vangoes,
In no way should you run more than max. pressure! You will be asking for trouble to do that!

Ken

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I still monitor my old trailer forum and they are having some of the same problems with tires and a small percentage of rims. In my readings all most all the problems with the tire issue is with the heaviest trailers needing the higher PSI's. It also seems most problems occur after first year or arround the 5000-10000 miles of towing. Then again what is the percent of failures, alot of people with no problems. It's a scary situation on what to do, was the failures from nail picked up or hitting a curb or pothole or just totally bad tires. There is alot of well built and regarded trailers out there running these tires not just Heartland and alot of tire discussions. It would be nice to know the percent of failures to the percent of no problems, but then, one failure is to much.
KEN

Scott

V92c: I sent an email to my department heads in parts and service and asked them to let me know what is going on with your rim. I'll let you know what I find out.
ST

Scott

Don't know what the dealer did with the info for the "two months", but he didn't order anything from Heartland until a week and a half ago.
Here is what I heard back:

"The order for the rim was sent to us on 10-31-06 and we processed the order for all of the parts on 11-6-06. The last of the parts showed up today and the expected shipment date is today. Let me know if that helps or how I
could further help."

James Fenner
Heartland Customer Service
RVIA/RVDA Certified Tech
574-262-8030 ext.110

ct0218

Just to clarify: Yes there are some of us running 110 psi in our tires, but if you're reading that in the Landmark section you should be aware that most, if not all, use load range G tires (110 psi). The Bighorn and others are lighter and I believe use LR E tires, or a lower rated tire. Like Scott said, go by the tire inflation chart on each tire.

ct0218

Correct on the 3655, but the point is you have to go by the tires and rims maximum stated pressure.

vangoes

Thanks for all the feedback. I have alway lived by the "max pressure" on all my TTs, MH's and autos. Just wanted to make sure I was not missing something.