Renewing South Dakota Driver Licsense (Year 2010)

SmokeyBare

We just finished renewing our South Dakota Driver License today and I thought I would share.

We had already received from our Mail Forwarding Company a list of items we would need to bring with us to renew the license.

Items needed was :
  1. Proof of Identity, Date of Birth & Lawful Status. Choices were - CERTIFIED US Birth Certificate or US Passport or Certificate of Citizenship (there was also a list of items one might need if they were not a US Resident).
  2. If your name is different than your name on your Identity Document. You will need to bring additional proof of your legal name. Acceptable documents for proof of legal name change are a certified marriage certificate, a certified adoption document, or a certified court order authorizing a name change. (such as a divorce decree)
  3. Document to prove your Social Security Number. Choices were - Social Security Card (Not the STUB card and document that it came attached too) W-2 Form, SSA 1099 Form, Non-SSA 1099 Form, Pay Stub (Must include name & Social Security Number)
  4. Documents to prove your principal address. Choices were -Utility bill, Credit Card Statement, Pay Stub or earnings statement, Rent Receipt, Phone Bill, Transcript or report card from Accredited School, Bank Statement, Mortgage Document, Tax Document, Homeowners /renter's insurance document.
  5. Receipt from a campgrounds or a motel or hotel in South Dakota. (This we learned at the last minute)
We left our Bighorn in Dallas Texas and flew up to Sioux Falls SD to get this business taken care of. Lucky for me, I called our mail forwarding company before we left, I then learned we would also need a receipt for a South Dakota Campground or a Motel/Hotel along with the above paperwork.

We had what we thought were all the required documents in hand... Wrong !

We learned we no longer had our original Social Security cards, we only had the original form that was sent with our SS Card and attached to this form was a stub that the SS Card was attached too. That stub looks nearly exactly like a SS Card... but it's not and would not do. After 50+ years, the original cards were gone... (Parchment comes to mind here)

We were lucky to be able to place a call to one of the businesses that had sent us a 1099 Tax Form. They soon faxed a copy to the courthouse. The form had only one of our SS numbers listed... we always file "Married-Joint" One more call to the same business and one more fax sent... and a very helpful Clerk at the Courthouse... and we finally had fulfilled the required documents demanded by the Federal Government before States are allowed to renew our driver license. I said the clerk was very understanding and helpful The documents sent by the Investment Company... Stated "This is a Copy of a 1099". The Federal requirements were for an original form 1099.

Our next stop was to a local Social Security Office... to get a replacement of our missing SS Cards.

Moral of the story, If you think you have all the required paperwork... bring More ! We should have had our Tax information with us as well. Then we would have had our copies of our Form 1099.

Anyone getting ready to renew your license, be sure to call your State DMV Office for a list of their required documents.

Dave

Traveling Two
Good stuff SmokeyBare, we are in the process of relocating to SD and will be walking in your foot prints shortly. I will print this info out and save it with our full time stuff. Thanks again!! Be safe out there.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Thats way too much to go through...unreal.
Texas just gave me a 7 year renewal and only asked for the old license back and proof that I owned a firearm!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
The identity document was my "thorn"....I found it was going to be difficult to locate a 40 year old marriage license to my first husband. Found it was much simplier to apply for the US Passport Card...they only required by Certified Birth Certificate and current drivers license...now my last names match! Much simpler...what's wrong with this picture, though...it's easier to get access in and out of the country, than to renew my DL....LOL!!