new owners of big country 3285

mcarso1

Well we got the new camper home and leveled and now everyone wants to come over and check it out. My question is should we leave the slideouts out or bring them in while its sitting in the parking spot? Will it hurt them to be out from sun and rain and what have you? Another maybe stupid question is when the slides are in my large slide carpet gets all smashed against the kitchen counter, is this normal or should i be doing something different when bringing the slides in?

iforget

New Jersey Chapter Leader-retired
Many other great members will answer your questions. I just wanted to welcome you to one big happy family. UMMM a PA member too so hopefully we will meet up at one of the fabulous rallies. Believe me when I say that you will feel welcome here on the site and any question is usually , if not always solved. However the real adventure and fun starts with meeting everyone as we found out when we attended our first Rally!

Jellystone

Welcome to the Heartland family. I have always kept my slides in when we are not camping in the unit. I feel that it protects the slides and slide toppers from unnecessary abuse from the sun & rain & debris. Always check your slide seals each time you put them in or out to make sure they are positioned correctly and not warped or in a bind. Also a couple of times a year you can apply slide seal conditioner to keep the seals from cracking/dry rotting prematurely.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Welcome to the forum.

We full time in a Bighorn and the slides are out for a day, week or even months. You should have not problem leaving them out for as long as you wish. If the weather or place it is parked has harsh conditions you might bring the slides in when not showing or using it. I would make sure the trailer is level before putting the slides out and leaving them there. It is also good to have it level for your Refer.

About your carpet, I am not real familiar with the Big Country but in my opinion it should not be smashed up against the kitchen cabinet. Someone that has a 3285 would have a better opinion.

Finally, the only stupid question is the one that was never asked. Do a search about a question you have to see what has been discussed in the past. If you can not find an answer let us know and you will get a response from us or the factory.

Travel safe.
BC

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We leave our slides open most of the time when it is at home. But we are also in and out of it quite a bit. We also keep it packed so when we are ready to go all we have to do is load the food and take off.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Congratulations on your new Big Country. Unfortunately we are not full timers yet so when we are not camping - we keep the slides in. That way it keeps the sides and top cleaner when not in use. The problem with the carpet doesn't sound right. I don't know if you are near your dealership but you might give the dealer a call and double check with him and see if this is a warranty thing.