What tires to get?

sloans4x4

Need new tires before the season. I have 225/75/15. Was going to get the ones we have in stock here at work, TowMaster 225/75/15 D. But all the stuff I read everywhere says stay away from China tires. My options are TowMaster, TransMaster, Marathon, Maxxis. What do I do? Also looked at new wheels (16") and tires, but thats double the money.

Oh spec on my camper are: Fleetwood Pioneer, 31' TT, weighs about 8000 or so, never really weighed it.

Shane

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I don't know what Fleetwood used from the factory but have you considered either Goodyear LT or Michelin tires? I had Michelin "E" rated tires on a previous rig for years without issues.

sloans4x4

Yes I have, but I dont see any load range D or E in that size that aren't ST tires. And buying new wheels just isnt an option for me at the moment. Also I am wanting to trade campers in the next year or two and get a 5th wheel. Looking at the Sundances. And they all come with nice aluminum wheels, so I dont want to buy wheels now and not be able to transfer them

Shane

Of the tires you listed , I would go with the Maxxis they have a very good reputation. Goodyear would be next in line, the new ones are made in the USA.
Be sure to check the build date so you know you are getting new tires ! There is a site you can go to to get all the info on tire codes I dont have the link
but do a search on this fourm or rv.net and I'm sure you can find It,
Dale

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I agree with Yosemite Sam. Of the brands you mentioned, I have had Maxxis and not had any issues. Goodyear has also come out with an "E" rated Marathon. I think it's made in China but to Goodyears specs for both design and materials. Since it sounds like you work at a tire shop, I'm sure you'll be well covered in the event of a failure at any rate.

sloans4x4

Well I ordered a set of Maxxis 8008 225/75/15E this morning, will have them Tuesday. I actually work at a Ford dealership. I am a Master Tech (Diesel certified), So I pretty much work on 6.0Ls all day!! And yes we sell tires!! lol I think the Maxxis seem to be the better choice from reading tons of forums. Thank you guys for your responses.

Shane

RoLintwo

Check out this web site
www.discounttire.com
Click on info centre then wear and performance and go to trailer tire facts.

I bought Maxxis M8008 last spring, "E" rated @ 3420lbs at 80 psi

Happt Trails

Roy

2009 Chevy D/M ,CC,4x4/SB,
2008 3055RL 9555/ airborne pin box/ Reese 16K/

TireHobby

Well I ordered a set of Maxxis 8008 225/75/15E this morning, will have them Tuesday. I actually work at a Ford dealership. I am a Master Tech (Diesel certified), So I pretty much work on 6.0Ls all day!! And yes we sell tires!! lol I think the Maxxis seem to be the better choice from reading tons of forums. Thank you guys for your responses.

Shane

Hi Shane, Almost all TTs that come with that LRD tire have wheels with a maximum pressure rating of 75 PSI. So make sure you check them out before airing those LRE tires to 80 PSI.

TireHobby

sloans4x4

I can run them at 70-75psi right? I know when it comes to car and truck tires you dont run them at max psi. All have psi specs on the door of the vehicle which is less than the max psi on the tire. Do all you guys run your trailer tires at MAX?

Shae

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I can run them at 70-75psi right? I know when it comes to car and truck tires you dont run them at max psi. All have psi specs on the door of the vehicle which is less than the max psi on the tire. Do all you guys run your trailer tires at MAX?

Shae

The reason they put the stickers on the door of the vehicles is to inflate your tires to give you the best ride. When I test drove my truck the tires had 20 psi in them and the truck rode like a dream. Inflated them to 80 psi like they should have been and it rode like a truck. IMHO your trailer tires should be inflated to what the cold inflation psi is on the tire sidewall, although there are charts out there that will tell otherwise.

TireHobby

When used on the RV trailer axle all tires need to be aired to maximum cold air pressures as indicated on the individual tire's sidewall. Light truck load inflation charts are used with known stationary loads. If you want some conformation on this maximum pressure thing find a RV trailer manufacturer that uses LT tires on their RV trailer axles and check the tire placard. It will confirm the use of MAX cold tire pressures.

TireHobby