Re: questions from a soon-to-be owner

Hello all, I guess I'm not exactly a want to be owner but a soon to be owner. DH and I just put a deposit on a new 2009 Sundance 3012 RE today. This will be our second fifth wheel. A year ago we bought our first one, but the layout just wasn't working for us. We started looking around and found the Sundance. So far we are impressed with the Sundance's features and workmanship, not the mention the upgrades that would have cost $$ on other brands. Are there any specific problems or issues that we need to especially look out for on our PDI? I know no unit is perfect, but sometimes there are some common issues among brands. We are excited to become Sundance owners, and can't wait for that first camping trip of the season!

jimtoo

Hi leaderdogmom,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and the Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

When you do your PDI,,, just take your time and check from top to bottom. Make sure it is hooked to water (city water) so system is pressured up and check for leaks.

I did move your post and started a new thread just for you.

Enjoy your new Sundance and the forum.

Jim M

argyll1st

Hi Dogleadermon we just picked up our sundance 3 weeks ago and have slept in it every night since, we read lots of peoples post on the forum about issues with "this and that" but as far as we are concerned our unit has been perfect from day one, only problem is the fuse blowing when you try and bring the front legs up too high but that has been it, great 5er and nice , nice unit, well done.:angel:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Hello, and welcome. If you throw a rock to your WNW, you might hit me. Anyways, when you pick up your rig, your dealer should have it connected to power and water and walk you through everything on it. Doesn't matter if you're an old hand at RV's, take your time, ask questions and have them demonstrate and then you operate...everything. Have them open up the rear basement wall and take a look back there for any leaks, also.

One common problem is the shower stall leaking around the surround due to bad or missing caulk. Turn on the shower, aim it all around the shower wall/surround interface, and look for water coming around it. It's a DIY fix, but if you catch it during the PDI, let them do it.

Who are you getting your Sundance from?

wow, thanks for all the quick replies. We don't pick up the fiver for another week, so I'm looking forward to a lot a good advice! And even thought we've been thru this before, each time has been a learning experience. I do plan on taking a written checklist as I don't trust my memory! JohnDar--hi neighbor! --we passed you up on the way to Gilette's RV Interstate in East Lansing. It's not a bad drive for us, under 1 1/2 hrs. So far they have been great. We're getting a "leftover" new 2009 model, hopefully there won't be any problems with the unit from sitting so long. We bought our Jayco TT like that a few campers ago and it worked out fine. The savings was worthwhile over a new unit, and we really like the 3012 RE which isn't made anymore.

LilGTO71

We absolutely love our 330QS. Have used it three times over the past couple of months and love it. As stated, be aware of the shower leak. (Its a quick fix). I found one plug that was inop and wired it easily enough. Also found one set of lights in Bedroom slide that didn't work. Another easy fix. We r ready for this California weather to turn so we can head out for some longer trips. Enjoy your new rig.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

leaderdogmom, also be sure to have a small television to test all of the workings of the a/v system. This is very useful to find mis-routed coax cables and bad connectors. If available at the dealer, ask to hook up to cable as well. Before I forget, Welcome to the Heartland Family & Forum. I know you'll enjoy your Sundance. We're here to help if you need us.

dkjones

I am also hoping to be a new owner of a Heartland. We are new to this forum and new to the Heartland family. We are planning on ordering a Bighorn 3185RLS today! Does any one have any comments on the 3185? Also, can anyone tell me what the length of the Queen mattress they put in the 3185? Thank you for any information.

Yianni

Welcome to the Heartland forum leaderdogmom. I thought I recognized your screen from the Outbackers site. We sold our Outback 25RSS last year and bought a Cyclone 3010. We've had it 6 months now and the only problem to date was the water pump went out. I called Heartland and asked if they would send me a new pump and I would install it myself. They did with no problems.
We've traveled across the country with it and many other trips also with no problems.
I hope you enjoy your Sundance as much as we do our Cyclone. I still drop in on the Outback site. Hard not to after so many years.

We picked up our new Sundance today. The PDI went well, only a few very minor issues that were fixed by the dealer. They even mounted our tv that we kept from our last fifth wheel. On the way home we stopped at campground where our son and family were at for the weekend. Got to play and try everything out. I think I am really going to like the fireplace, it sure helps to take the chill out of the trailer, esp when there are snowflakes in the air like there was today! Don is happy the way it tows, much better than our last fifth wheel. He really likes the fact that it has 16" wheels. We plan to take it for a weekend in a few weeks, it'll probably take me that long to get everything put away in it! Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions