What is "High Gloss Gel Coat Exterior" Option for?

GaryB

I noticed the "High Gloss Gel Coat Exterior" is a $1500-$2000 option. Does anybody know what the purpose of this option is, and whether it's worth the extra $1500-$2000? If it's just to make the exterior more shiny, I'm debating whether it is really worth it.

Thanks
Gary

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
It's like a really nice paint job on a car, you can get one for 99.95 or pay for really good one. It protects the fiberglass with extra coating for longer wear from the elements. It is easier to clean and stays cleaner longer and looks good. I have it on my present TT and my new BigHorn ( soon to be picked-up)was ordered with it. IMO would not be with out it, money well spent. The plain fiberglass has a little texture feel to touch, gel-coat like a newborn babies butt.:D
Ken

ChopperBill

What is "High Gloss Gel Coat Exterior" Option for? I don't know why it is an option. It should be standard equipment! :D I just wish they would have gel coated my storage bay doors.

BluegrassMan

Hi Guy's

If you don't have the gel coat, you see all the strands of glass down in there, and that looks cheap. Some companies call their cheaper grade of fiberglass "Filon", which tells me cheap. IMHO all surfaces on trailers should be with gel coat. It just makes sense. Look at all the lower line RV's no gel coat.

ct0218

If you ever have to have a repair done to the walls and it is not smooth gelcoated originally, then your repair will always be obvious as it will be smooth. There is no way to put texture on the repaired area.. Smooth is a lot easier to clean.

GaryB

Thanks for the advice!

Thanks for the advice! I misinterpreted the term "high gloss gel coat exterior". I put the emphasis on the "high gloss" part and assumed the "regular" gel coat was a standard feature. So I thought I was paying $1500-$2000 just for a little more shine on top of the existing gel coat.
Guess I better get that option afterall!

Gary

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Also keep in mind, the Gel Coat option on the Big Horn adds about 600# to the weight of the trailer. Also reducing carrying capacity. The factory laminate walls are pretty decent and have a nice finish as they coome from the factory. Also easy to clean.

jcd8822

Joseph
Something else just came to mind about Gel Coat. Does it need to be waxed? I have seen friends out waxing their rig every six months. So it looks great as indicated above. We bought it in Nov 2006. Are there any waxers out there??

Joseph

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
if you wax your unit it will saty looking new for a long time. Don't wax, it will oxidize and be very hard to get it looking really nice again.
MAINTAIN....

bigredtruck

High gloss coating

We just ordered a Cyclone 3210 and the dealer said that the high gloss coat was not meant to be a protector or a true 'gel coat'. He talked us out of it. Now I'm wondering:cool:

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
I ordered my '09 Bighorn with the High Gloss Gelcoat and when looking at it upon arrival at the dealer's against other Bighorn's "without" the High Gloss Gelcoat option I saw no difference at all. The look and feel were exactly the same. I even asked the dealer about it because of that and he assured me it did have the High Gloss option. As someone else mentioned earlier, I did notice the storage area doors did not have the Gelcoat on them. How can someone be sure if their coach has the High Gloss Gelcoat or if the dealer simply pocketed some extra cash. Since the dealer went out of business since I bought my Bighorn back in January, I am afraid it may be the later. :(

Shadowchek

It is my understanding that the Big horns come with a thin layer of gelcoat standard. I looked at them side by side and there was a slight difference but not huge. I have seen 5th wheels and Motor homes with and without gelcoat a few years down the road and the ones with gelcoat are still smooth the ones without are bumpy and fraying. If you take care of your rv this may not happen. you can resurect a gel coated rv to a certain point and they never seem to get frayed but without it once it goes bad you are in trouble. If you figure out the total cost of the 5ver percentage wise it isn't that much more to keep it looking good longer and increase your resale value. You never know when you might the latest greatest bug might bite you as many other members can attest to. The dual pane windows are another one that I would reccomend all the rest of the options are personal preferences. Like the awning I like the idea of a powered awning but I like being able to angle it the way I want. I could go on but I won't . Don't get caught saying I wish I would of over another 3 to 5 percent increase in purchase price.

Greg

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
If you look closely at your siding and you see small "fiber stands", then you do NOT have the high-gloss gelcoat...which appears completely smooth and pure white.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Ricky, I never had any problem telling the difference. One has a semi rough feel and the gel-coat looks like a brand new shiny Corvette. IMHO bob :D:D:eek:

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
anyone have any ideas where to go to get the gel coat repaired? I had an earlier incident which caused a ten foot streak one inch wide that cut into the gel coat but didnt damage the fiberglass. is there a filler that i could insert then buff it out. Dont mean to be vain but now that i am getting the hang of driving this rig i want it to look the best.

Gel Coat On Mine

I ordered the high gloss gel coat and when we picked our BH 3580 up on Aug 8th it was sitting next to a BC that did not have it and the difference was very obvious. As stated the storage bay doors are not gel coated and you can see a tremedous difference between the doors and walls as well. IMHO the gel coat is one of those must haves. Some folks who have been doing this for a long time have 3 must haves. High gloss gel coat, second AC in bedroom and dual pain windows. Even though I have had my unit for a very short time I am very glad that I ordered these three upgrades.