Strange Occurance

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I'll try to keep this understandable. Early AM, furnace set to 68, outside temp 10 degrees.

I had been awake since about 4 am. The furnace would run about 20 minutes then shut down for about 10 minutes until the t'stat called for heat again. I guess you could say it was running about a 66% duty cycle.

I got up, turned on the bathroom light and then the bedroom lights and the vanity lights. Lots of light! The furnace was running as well. While brushing my teeth, I noticed the alarm clock light was flashing. Lost power? Then the alarm clock light went off again and all the 12 volt lights that were on went very dim. I immediately shut down the furnace and went out and flipped the 50 amp breaker off. I have a surge protector as well.

We smelled a slight electrical burning odor. When I had gone out to shut down the breaker, I noticed a guy a couple sites over was unhooking to leave. Maybe unplugged without turning off breaker?

Could this have been a "brown out"? Any thoughts as to what may have happened. Just before we left, I flipped the breaker on and everything seemed OK. I did not check any voltages at the pedestal as we were leaving anyway. I still need to check my battery but today, everything seems normal. Everything is working like it's supposed to and there is no odor at all, anywhere.

2010augusta

your 12 volt system should be more "stable" than what you are describing. Are your batteries okay? Have you checked the converter output. Even when our EMS shuts-down the 110 Volt system the 12 volt system has no change for a very long time. it cold be that your Batteries have gone bad and all your 12 volt is running on the convert output alone, and when you lost power the converter shut off and then you had no 12 volt for lights or furnace.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Ray, let me get this straight....you were brushing your teeth and the power went out? Have you given any thought to a "new cordless model" and get rid of that corded one?
Seriously, intermitant electrical problems can be a bugger. I had a similar issue in Mission this past January. I plugged in and all was good. Then it wasn't. My EMS said one leg of power was at 17 volts.I went out and turned the breaker off, unplugged and checked at the pedistal and had 120. HMM. Plugged in, turned on the breaker, went back in 120 volts. Later 32 volts. After some head scratching I went out to the pedistal again and stuck my probes in and wiggled the breaker. I could hear it arcing in there, and the voltage went up and down. Had the park replace the breaker and all was well again.

Peace
Dave

Ray LeTourneau

your 12 volt system should be more "stable" than what you are describing. Are your batteries okay? Have you checked the converter output. Even when our EMS shuts-down the 110 Volt system the 12 volt system has no change for a very long time. it cold be that your Batteries have gone bad and all your 12 volt is running on the convert output alone, and when you lost power the converter shut off and then you had no 12 volt for lights or furnace.
This is pretty much what I was thinking (hoping). The battery they gave me with the rig was a 24 series Interstate. That was almost 4 years ago. I know the water level is OK but I have not checked it for voltage or anything else for that matter. Especially as much as the furnace was running that night. We're moving tomorrow so before we set up I'll get the meter out and see how things look while not plugged in to the truck or 110 service. If I did it now, I'd have to reset all the clocks and stuff. Too lazy for that today.

ChopperBill

Cant offer any help but I have a question. 10 degrees outside!!! What did you do take the wheels of that thing and cant move it??? ;)

Iver

I recently had variable power problems. Tech removed the cover of the converter. Turned out the terminals were loose on the converter input and output. Finally one of them carmelized to the point that there was no conductivity. Problems solved. This is a brand new trailer so it is obvious that some dufus did not tighten the terminals at the factory.
Good luck.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Ray,

For that size and brand of battery the life expectancy is about 4 years. If you replace it go with a series 27.

Rickhansen

Hi Ray,
If your battery is getting weak, that would clearly explain a significant voltage drop. The converter can put out nearly 15 volts, depending on the mode. When you lost power and the load was on a weak battery, toy might see the battery voltage drop to 10.5 or 11 volts easily.

When the power was off, furnace running, 3 lights on, plus the other 12vdc loads like refrigerator, CO Sensor, etc. the smell could have possibly been from either outgassing from the battery (sulphur smell?) or; with the furnace fan running slower, the furnace heat exchanger running hotter. Did you have the bathroom vent running too?

Ray LeTourneau

Cant offer any help but I have a question. 10 degrees outside!!! What did you do take the wheels of that thing and cant move it??? ;)
I Know!! We are on the way home from Indio and took the Northern Route. I wanted new scenery. Live & learn I guess.

Ray LeTourneau

Hi Ray,
If your battery is getting weak, that would clearly explain a significant voltage drop. The converter can put out nearly 15 volts, depending on the mode. When you lost power and the load was on a weak battery, toy might see the battery voltage drop to 10.5 or 11 volts easily.

When the power was off, furnace running, 3 lights on, plus the other 12vdc loads like refrigerator, CO Sensor, etc. the smell could have possibly been from either outgassing from the battery (sulphur smell?) or; with the furnace fan running slower, the furnace heat exchanger running hotter. Did you have the bathroom vent running too?
Rick, I'm thinking with the length of time the furnace was running overnight, plus the other items, the charging system would not be able to keep up with the usage. I think we've narrowed down the odor to our 110 volt portable heater. Loaded with dust. I took it apart yesterday and cleaned it out. Odor all gone.

I will be replacing the 24 series battery with a 27 or 29 if it will fit in the box.

Terry, you are absolutely right. Although, I'm impressed with how long the battery has lasted because of our full time lifestyle.

I also plan on getting into the compartment to check connections on everything Tuesday once we're set up in IL. We're staying in motels the next 2 nights.