Pet ID Collars

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Just thought I'd pass this along for those who travel with felines. I found this website and ordered collars for both of our furballs. To get them used to the idea, I held them in my hand and used the collars to pet them for several days. And let them get a good look and sniff. Once I got them on, they adapted within a couple of hours to the idea. I was more concerned about Max being a problem, but Ally was actually more "disturbed." But I can still count to ten and only have to take off one shoe to do it.

http://www.pettags.com/Productdetail.aspx?ProductID=28

View attachment 7746
View attachment 7745

2010augusta

John, keep an eye in them for a few days, My cat had been wearing the collar for a few days, when she somehow flipped the collar out from under her chin and it went in her mouth, in her attempt to get it out of her mouth she really cut up her jaw/mouth with her claws. I came home from work to a bloody cat and a bloody bath room, I quickly removed the collar and she licked her wounds, literary. I don't know how long she had the collar wrapped around her head, but I am glad I came home when I did.

JohnDar

Thanks for the heads up, Alan. I've been keeping an eye on them and so far no problems. I did adjust the collars so that I can only get two fingers under them, which is what they recommend, and during the initial "WTF is this thing on my neck" reactions, they were not able to reach it. And they have snap releases in case they do get caught on something.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We put a collar with an ID tag on KK as soon as we got him. The mistake I made was putting on a nylon "fabric" collar. He scratched at it quite a bit. We noticed it tightening around his neck. I guess his claws were causing the thing to fray and become tighter. We changed it to leather and after a few hours of scratching, he gave in to it and is fine with a collar now. We can walk him on the leash too but he sometimes wants to roll over and play drag me somewhere. "Goofy Cat"

JohnDar

These collars may be nylon fabric, but they are quite substantial. Adjustment is via a friction slide, rather than a "belt buckle." You have to work it to make adjustments. I thought about having tags hanging from them, but liked the permanent stitched in identification better. We'll see how it goes. For being their first collars (both are over 6 years old), they seem to be doing OK with them.