Modifying vertical blinds for sliding door in garage...

Manke3010

Hey all,

I'm not sure if the 3010's are the only units with the large sliding door that separates the main living area from the garage, but I have those cloth vertical blinds with square weights sewed into the bottoms of each individual blind. Novel idea, but the problem is, the blinds are 1.5" too long.
They hardly even block out the top half of the area and the bottom area of the door is a tangled mess.
I wish it were as simple as just cutting them to proper length, but the top has specific tabs to click into the track, and the bottom has about a 2.5" enclosed/sewn in weight.

Even when they are closed and buttoned into the corner, they sag on the floor and get caught up in stuff.

Have any of you modified these or improved them at all? I'd appreciate any thoughts....
Thanks!

Riverman

We dont have the sliding door...but is it possible to raise the whole blind assembly up 1.5" - track & all?

Manke3010

Thanks for the reply Riverman....wish I could. The tracks and assembly are mounted at the bottom corner of the overhead storage cabinets so that's not possible...

MystrMagic

Magician
Hello Manke. I have exactly the same problem on my 3914. I see no simple solution either for the same reasons you mentioned. I'm about ready to call Heartland and discuss it as a manufacturing defect. One would think they should install blinds the correct length. Perhaps they can ship a slightly shorter set, or pay to have them professionally shortened.

Only reason I haven't contacted them yet is I'm so busy with work and I'm way out west. Time zones mean they are closed by the time I wake up enough in the afternoons to remember it. Let us know if you come up with a solution.

Manke3010

Here are a couple pics of how mine look when in the folded position and then open with the adjusting rod in the fully "closed" position. You can see how badly they actually close and lack any privacy.

I hate this style of blinds, but I totally understand why they need to be this style given the large surface area they need to cover.

Yianni, it's good to hear at least one of us got a properly cut and installed group of blinds. Guess I'll have to contact HL to see if I can get some help here since it doesn't seem like anyone has been able to mod this to correct the manufacturing defect....

Attachments

• Cyclone Blinds 00&.JPG
    Cyclone Blinds 00&.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Cyclone Blinds 00&.JPG
    Cyclone Blinds 00&.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 33

porthole

Retired
My 3010 has blinds that are too short.
I'm guessing the OP has blinds for one of the other models with the loft
these trailers are all taller in overall height.

TNT

We have an 09 3210 with the sliding glass door. Love the glass door, but dislike vertical blinds (ours fit right when we got the rig.) We replaced ours with drapes that match the fabric of those that are in the master bedroom. I believe the 3010 have the side bathroom and thus no drapes, but any fabric that matches your couch would look great. We still use the strap from the blinds to hold them back while travelling, but may replace it soon with fabric like the master has.

Manke3010

Hey TNT,

Interesting idea replacing with drapes. Thanks for your response.
Would you mind posting pics of the finished product showing rod/hardware/drapes you used whenever you have the time?

Thanks!
-Luke

porthole

Retired
My plan from the get go was to replace the blinds with drapes. Have the material just looking for someone with the skills.