PDA

View Full Version : Concealed carry permits

OhioJay
04-09-2010, 10:40 PM
I don't know how many people will post up and admit they do carry, but I was just curious. Do you carry a concealed weapon in your rig?

I don't mind telling you I do. Too many crazies running around everywhere!!! I bet this will blow your mind...The last statistic I saw had over 200,000 people in Ohio registered to carry a concealed firearm!! That's alot, in my opinion. But, just think how many people are carrying illegaly, without a permit!!! I was just curious to see if it's common among RVers. No harm meant.

Bighurt
04-10-2010, 12:16 AM
As I only own rifles its hard to carry concealed. However I have considered applying and purchasing a pistol.

The one trouble with RV's is crossing state lines the laws change, so I would ensure I was clear on on the laws in states I intend to travel into. Yes many states except other states concealed permits but that still means you have to meet their laws.

Also I don't think having a rifle or pistol in the RV counts as a concealed, its the same as having one in your home. The TV is a different story. Again this would be based on state laws...

cookie
04-10-2010, 05:51 AM
I'm no expert on concealed carry, but I beleive that Bighurt is correct in that if it is in you coach it is not considered concealed. So if you want to sleep with your 45 under your pillow, other than a headache, it should be no problem. Using it however would be a different story.
But in answer to your question, I always travel with my two friends, Smith & Wesson.

Peace
Dave

Rickhansen
04-10-2010, 06:18 AM
Weapons that are not directly in your possession and control generally are not considered concealed weapons, nor are those that are in plain view in most cases. If they are in your coach, trunk of your car, or otherwise out of reach, they are not generally considered as being carried. Laws do differ state to state, but about 35 states reciprocate amongst themselves on CCW's. There was a very informative website called www.packing.org, but they have disappeared. There is another similar site now at www.usacarry.com that provides comparison in laws and requirements from state to state.

I have had CCW's in Michigan, North Carolina, and Florida now. Law enforcement, in my experience, support legally armed citizens wholeheartedly. They know how many "crazies" there are better than anyone else. All 4 of the CCW and personal protection courses I've attended have been taught by active law enforcement officers.

Florida offers a non-resident CCW permit that actually is recognized and reciprocates with most other states. That means a non-resident can come to Florida, get a permit, and carry in about 35 other states legally.

And yes, I have several handguns available for use in the rig, truck, and sometimes in my pocket.

jnbhobe
04-10-2010, 07:11 AM
Golly Dave; You have the same two friends traveling with you as I do. Them guys sure do get around !!! JON

davebennington
04-10-2010, 07:12 AM
I believe that the right to carry concealed is up to each individual. I had a CCW in North Carolina for many years and now in Virginia. I do agree having a weapon in the trailer does not and should not be considered concealed.

I do carry concealed when I feel that there may be a need or unfamiliar places/people.

I realize all this being said is at the risk of being labeled a wacko, so be it.

Dave

Cimriver
04-10-2010, 07:49 AM
I have a concealed carry permit issued in Colorado. All of the states surrounding Colorado reciprocate, but I always check when going to other states. Having said that I generally don't carry a weapon on my person, but sometimes do. I do generally have a handgun in my truck or RV.

jmgratz
04-10-2010, 07:58 AM
Since your RV is considered your "residence" it is legally allowed to have a handgun or long gun in it in the stat of Texas. To carry it on your person you need a permit or fall under one of the "special" categories i.e. Peace Officer. To carry it on your person it must be concealed. The latest I have heard of is your motor vehicle (car, truck) is considered an extension of your residence hence no permit is needed. From experience most all of the Peace Officers I know take the attitude everyone is carrying concealed until they know otherwise. You know safety first. BTW - Isn't it our constitutional right to be able to own a weapon? It is your personal choice as to whether you carry it legally or otherwise. As for me I carry it, and do have a Peace Officer (retired) Federal Permit.

OhioJay
04-10-2010, 08:15 AM
BTW - Isn't it our constitutional right to be able to own a weapon? It is your personal choice as to whether you carry it legally or otherwise.

Actuall, I think it's legal to go anywhere with a "long gun", if it's in plain sight (federal law). You could walk right down the street in any city. Of course, people would flip out, so I don't think I would try it.

I'm surprised at the number of responses from guys who carry! I don't know why I'm surprised, but I am.

I carry, on my person, a Sprinfield Arms XD sub-compact in .40 caliber. The wife has a nice little Bersa .380.

DW_Gray
04-10-2010, 08:40 AM
Here is an excellent website: http://www.carryconcealed.net/

Legal definition: http://definitions.uslegal.com/c/concealed-weapons/

Here is the federal law:
Federal Firearms Transportation Statute

The federal firearms transportation statute basically states that you are allowed to transport a legally owned firearm through any state as long as you meet the following requirements.

1. Your weapon is kept unloaded and stored in a separate compartment not readily accessible by either the driver or passengers.

2. Any ammunition is kept separate from location of firearms and is also not readily accessible by either the driver or passengers.

If there is not a separate compartment available in the vehicle then the firearm must be kept in a locked container and stored somewhere other than the glove box or console.

TITLE 18 PART I CHAPTER 44 § 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

As for the primary question, my answer is; "You don't know; do you?" And that's the way it should be. I don't want the intruder to know if I'm packing or not.

jbeletti
04-10-2010, 08:50 AM
While perhaps not popular with many, I like this discussion. I may create a forum for Firearms as it relates to RVers.

I do have a Utah CCW permit. I do not currently conceal carry. Because I am in so many states each year and with the definition "concealed" so varied amongst the states, I felt it best to have a CCW permit just to be as legal as possible, even when my weapon is loaded, yet in my RV, or in a locked case.

Jim

Netem
04-10-2010, 11:34 AM
I'm a hunter and alot of times I'm hunting by myself on public land so I always have something for anyone who wants to come through my camper door uninvited. When I go camping with the DW I also make sure we have something for anyone who would want to do us harm.

Elevatorman
04-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Very good point with the Federal laws, but I do believe States laws do preempt federal laws almost always. I understood that a towable camper is treated just like your driving vehicle, and the transportation of firearm laws in a vehicle apply. If you have a concealed permit with reciprocity in the states you travel, then as long as you are carrying you are safe, (and legal too)! A locked up firearm with no ammo is just a thought when you need it! I have planned a mock trip including the firearm issue, and it gets very interesting and fun trying to abide by the individual state laws. Good idea Jim B. maybe we could provide links for the members so that trip planning could include the individual state and Federal laws, as well as CCW laws. Just an idea! Maybe the members who travel for competitions around the country could chime in with ideas also.

DW_Gray
04-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Here is another good site: http://opencarry.org/index.html

And another with state by state summary info: http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/

Borntowade
04-10-2010, 01:10 PM
I have concealed carry permit, and always have at least my Taurus Judge with the 3" cylinder with me, except when on a federal installation. It is always loaded with 3 .45 Long Colt hollow points and 2 3" 000 buck shot loads. It is the ultimate in close in self defense. There are way too many crazies out there and I like to have a persuader close at hand.

JWalker
04-10-2010, 01:51 PM
I always have a friend along. Either Mr. Smith or Wesson, Mr. Ruger, Mr. Taurus or Mr. Sig, Someone always likes to go.........and I don't mind having them along on the trip.

jbeletti
04-10-2010, 01:56 PM
I always have a friend along. Either Mr. Smith or Wesson, Mr. Ruger, Mr. Taurus or Mr. Sig, Someone always likes to go.........and I don't mind having them along on the trip.

I have a special fondness for Mr. Sig :) A bromance maybe :eek:

Rmcgrath53
04-10-2010, 02:53 PM
I have a CCW from Mi. There are alot of states that honor it. 1 SW 38 is what I have with the laser grips.I keep it under the pillow when sleeping at a Walmart or overnight truck stop. It is a hammerless ,so I could shoot from the pocket of my coat. Walmart in town here is always out of ammo.
Ron

hart1369
04-10-2010, 05:52 PM
allways have a friend with me be it mr. smith &mr wesson mr ruger or any other of their friends . while traviling things happen you may not know the area when seconds count the police are only minutes away, in some areas we are targets because of our rigs . that said i'd rather know i can help myself if needed

tmcran
04-10-2010, 05:59 PM
I have a Texas CHL and always care in my truck. The Springfield Arms 9 MM is always loaded. Being a rancher I always have a gun with me for critters and such. When I travel outside of TX I do check to be sure I can carry in the states I'm traveling in. I carry the 9MM in the console of the truck. I carry a small 25 cal auto in a boot holster. Not much damage ---but loud

TXBobcat
04-10-2010, 06:23 PM
I read a thread where a recently widowed woman was going to travel from the east coast to the west coast. She was concerned wether she should carry a weapon with her. Many told here to get a CDL, others told her to carry a big shotgun, others told her not to worry about carrying one especially if she was not comfortable with one. When she was in a campground if anyone was bothering her just step outside and scream help real loud. Probably more than have the campground would be out in a flash with all sorts of firearms.

Sorta looks like that here too... LOL.. I don't have a CDL, and I don't carry a hand gun. Guess I will have the DW just stick her head out the door and scream for help.

That's what we do...
BC

azbound
04-10-2010, 06:52 PM
I carry a hand gun in my BH, how ever it is not elligal to carry a weapon in your RV in most western states. In fact the State legislature in AZ has pass a bill that allows all Az. citizens to carry a conceled weapon and no permitt is required. All that is needed is the Govenor to sigh it into law, that may happen Monday. That will make 3 states that allow conceled weapons without a permitt. Alaska, Vermont and soon Arizona.

dbarnard
04-10-2010, 07:02 PM
I have a CCW for California and carry a 40 Beretta in the PU and a 357 S&W in the 5th and lots of times there is a NAA Mini Mag in my pocket. We travel alot and I feel more secure with my friends.

Jellystone
04-10-2010, 07:18 PM
I also keep my concealed weapon permit active in the great state of LOUISIANA. It is honored in 23 other states as well. I don't leave home without a loaded pistol. One thing to remind folks of are the places that you cannot carry a firearm even with an active permit: any federal or state building (incl. post office), any courthouse, any designated voting area, any school, any bar or bar area in a restaurant (ex. Logans,Bennigans,Chili's,Appelbees, etc), any church (check your state), any police station, & their is a couple more, but you get the point. Be careful where you are at with a concealed weapon. Also,if you get pulled over on the highway or stopped on foot by a police officer, you need to let them know immediately that you have a weapon on your person and be prepared to be disarmed temporarily & show your permit. Be responsible about your decision to carry.

jmgratz
04-10-2010, 09:37 PM
There r many active and retired Peace Officers who RV and most all of them will carry. FYI

Cimriver
04-10-2010, 10:01 PM
This has been the most pleasant concealed carry permit thread I have seen. I've seen things get rather unpleasant on certain other forums a time or two. Thanks to all for making this such a great discussion.

I have a concealed carry permit issued in Colorado. To get one approved requires a very extensive background check. It was suggested in my concealed carry class that should you be stopped by a LEO that as a courtesy you should give them your permit along with your license. Since it requires such a thorough background check, I'm told it makes the officer much more comfortable. I got stopped by an officer to check my temporay permit on my truck as he couldn't see it well through my tinted windshield. He asked if I was carrying (I wasn't at the time) and then pretty much all he wanted to talk about was what my preferred concealed carry weapon was. After a very pleasant 15 minute conversation we both went on our way.

olcoon
04-10-2010, 11:05 PM
I've enjoyed this thread I'm on another forum, and this subject got brought up after someone posted about a couple getting attacked in a campground and the husband getting shot, and almost dieing. I tossed in my .02 worth, and got bashed. I was kind of leery about posting this time. I carry concealed almost all of the time, and have weapons within easy reach in my stick house. DW is familair with firearms, and is seriously thinking about getting her cc permit. My handgun is like the American Express credit card...I don't leave home without it! I refuse to be a victim!!! However one has to keep in mind that there is an awesome responsibility that goes with the privilege.

Ptoms
04-11-2010, 03:59 AM
I allways have a Smith and Wesson 1911 in my Truck console and being as I live In Alaska and working out of my travel trailer in remote locations, I fully intend to keep a 45-70 Guide Gun with me too. I have never had any trouble with people as I have traveld this beutifull state and I choose to believe that most folks are good ( you do have a few loonies out there..... hence the .45 in the console). However My main concern Is bears and and other critters that might decide im on the menu, up here in Alaska your part of the food chain, litterally.

Ptoms
04-11-2010, 04:09 AM
That was somthing that bugged me about purchasing a travel trailer however.....if you get big furry unwanted guest in a Rv you just enjoy a coffe and watch the show out of the window and later drive away if the show get a bit exciting (providing your not plugged in). In a travel trailer are fith wheel you just watch the show and hope your new found 1500 lb furry friend dosent decide to come on in and snuggle with you.

yondering
04-11-2010, 09:16 AM
Very good forum !! I have a retired federal peace officers license , a Texas CHL , and yes , I do carry an HK USP 45 at all times , 13 rounds of federal hydra shock. I have not had any problems in any of the states we have traveled. If stopped , courtesy and having the CHL with your DL , makes it more pleasant for everyone. Travel safe , and may God Bless ya, Al Weaver

Rainbowillie
04-11-2010, 10:16 AM
Interesting reading all the responses. DW_Gray gave us reference to a couple of links......here's another one - http://www.handgunlaw.us Another source for information and good display maps on reciprocity. And, like Jim, one of my better friends is Mr.Sig also.

tmcran
04-11-2010, 10:49 AM
I've enjoyed this thread I'm on another forum, and this subject got brought up after someone posted about a couple getting attacked in a campground and the husband getting shot, and almost dieing. I tossed in my .02 worth, and got bashed. I was kind of leery about posting this time. I carry concealed almost all of the time, and have weapons within easy reach in my stick house. DW is familair with firearms, and is seriously thinking about getting her cc permit. My handgun is like the American Express credit card...I don't leave home without it! I refuse to be a victim!!! However one has to keep in mind that there is an awesome responsibility that goes with the privilege.

Like you ,I don't really care what anyone thinks about my carring or not. My choice. Luby's inTexas welcomes CHL holders.

Big Al and Donna
04-11-2010, 11:52 AM
I never leave home without Mr. Browning by my side. Being retired Law enforcement in the state of Idaho, I was issued a ccw permit that is good in all 50 states including Wash DC. I understand that all states will now issue a ccw to retired law enforcement good for the USA.

jmgratz
04-11-2010, 01:04 PM
True story - Once while in Niagara Falls, Canada I was looking at the falls and a lady came up to me and said, "Officer, can u tell me ..." My first question to her was how did she know I was a Police Officer since I was wearing to identify me as such? She told me I just looked like one. That is scary. With the mobility of our society today I will carry (at least in my vehicle) until the day I die, then put one in the coffin just in case. lol

Taz Devil
04-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Where ever I go, so does the "bull", .38 or .40

OhioJay
04-11-2010, 07:29 PM
DW is familair with firearms, and is seriously thinking about getting her cc permit. privilege.

Is DW your wife?

Here's something to consider. My wife also has here permit, so we are "covered". But be careful leaving the guns in the glove box or console, etc. Let's say you stay at the RV, and the wife goes to the store. She get's in a fender bender, and for whatever reason, the cop searches the vehicle. If he finds that gun, and your wife does not have a permit, she will be in a heap of trouble, and you will likely lose your gun! Just something to consider. Just because she has a permit, doesn't mean she has to carry, but at least she won't get tossed in the clink if something happens.

And I agree...Very good dialogue, compared to some forums. Nicely done, all.

ricatic
04-11-2010, 08:04 PM
I too have carried in the past. Because I travel by air so much, I am not carrying right now but I am thinking about it. I also frequent several forums. This is the longest firearms thread I have ever viewed and still no negative nonsense. Hooray for this group.

Ricatic

Cyncwby
04-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Sorry, this may be a little long winded but at the end there's VERY GOOD reason to have a weapon in your RV. Ohiojay.....I understand completely what you're saying about forgetting a gun in the glovebox etc. But in the case you mentioned, if the Ofcr. actually SEARCHED your car w/o your permission in lets say a fender bender then anything he finds is not admissable because he had no probable cause or permission to search. In Cal. anyway but most states are the same under search and seizure laws.

An example to what you're eluding to.... if you and your wife go out to eat, the show, shopping somewhere and she carrys your gun in her purse because you're wearing shorts and a tank top then that obviously is illegal. THEN she forgets to take the gun out the next day, which could easily happen and she gets stopped for a traffic infraction. While she looks in her purse for her drivers lic. the Ofcr. (who should be watching everything she does) spots the gun and asks if she has a CCW permit....nope, now she could be in trouble depending on the Ofcr.

Now here's just one example to have a weapon in your RV, this occured about 2 yrs ago in fairly quiet and peaceful Cedar City, Utah...about 20 miles north of me. An older couple pulled into the Walmart lot to spend the night. Late at night some guy started beating on the 5th wheel door yelling to let him in. For some unk. reason the wife opened the door and this guy, loaded on meth forced his way in and began beating the wife. The husband shot the crook with his 12 ga. which immediately ended the attack and his life. The wife went to the hospital for a day or two, turned out the husband is a retired Police Officer and obviously still knew how to handle deadly situations.

Even though I'm a retired cop from So. Cal. I have a Utah CCW permit, not good in Nevada or Cal. as of now...or ever probably. After 33 yrs. I've seen way too many victims of violent crimes, I'm NOT going to be one of them......Dave

olcoon
04-11-2010, 11:13 PM
OhioJay,
Yes DW is my wife. My Glock is on my side 99% of the time. Being retired law enforcement I can carry it in all 50 states. If she decides to carry concealed it will be done legally in what ever state we may be in. I have a safe that will be mounted permanently "hidden" somewhere in the 5er.

ct0218
04-12-2010, 12:04 AM
As a retired LEO I do and always have carried a weapon with me. My gun of choice is a .45 S&W, the same one I used on duty my last 10 years. Just like when I was on duty, I hope I never need to use it.

Draco Dog
04-12-2010, 01:59 AM
We are retired and full-time RVr's. Sold our house and live in our trailer full-time.

We are taking a class in the near future to obtain a Concealed Weapons Permit.

I have a book that you might be interested in. It is titled, "Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States". The book has information on all 50 states regarding gun laws for each state. Each state is on a separate page and very easy to find the information you need to find for each state.

I have just one question:

What good does it do to have a weapon in one place (and locked up), and then to have the ammunition in a separate place? That is just about the dumbest idea I have ever heard.

mrcomer
04-12-2010, 09:30 AM
I like this discussion as I have interest in this subject. Although I do not own a gun I have often wanted to take courses. My wife would not care for it though.

porthole
04-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Good topic and glad to see it is not taboo.

On my most frequented motorcycle forum (cvoharley.com) this topic came up and I was quite surprised at how many of my fellow riders were packing.

That said "then there is New Jersey, New York and CA".

In NJ unless you have a CCP (law enforcement only unless you have a really really good reason to have one) you need to be traveling between your home and a range, gun shop or club to be carrying your pistol locked in the trunk with the ammo locked separately. And you need to have at least a Firearms purchasers ID, which oddly enough is required to buy rifles and shotguns.

New York City - you better be real careful or you will be in jail.

I sure would like to be able to use a CCP here in Jersey, but until......... I have considered getting the UTah permit which seems to have the most latitude with reciprocity.

OhioJay
04-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Although I do not own a gun I have often wanted to take courses. My wife would not care for it though.

In my experience, many people feel this way. They don't like them, and they don't like the idea of guns being around. They've seen so many TV shows and movies and news stories about guns, guns, guns, and most are not in a good light. Showing someone a gun up close, in their hands, and showing them how it works and what happens when it's fired helps them "get" the bigger picture. Guns aren't the problem. People are the problem. Once they see how it all works, guns aren't so big a deal anymore. And if you can get them to go to the shooting range, they almost always come away smiling.

Maybe I'll try to arrange for us to do some handgun shooting at the Ohio rally this summer. The range at the Cardinal Center is outdoors, so maybe they'll let us.

mrcomer
04-12-2010, 11:42 AM
I'd be very interested in that Jay.

gpshemi
04-12-2010, 11:53 AM
I never leave home without...

hart1369
04-12-2010, 05:10 PM
you wont be very far from delaware state park it has a range on route 229 just east of us 23

SueJean
04-12-2010, 06:17 PM
I like this discussion as I have interest in this subject. Although I do not own a gun I have often wanted to take courses. My wife would not care for it though.

I'd like to share my viewpoint as a "like-minded DW".

I've never been a big fan of guns since my brother and my cousin both used theirs to end their very young lives. However, I know that this was not the fault of the guns, but due to "choices". The tragedy of these events has made me leery of having weapons easily accessible.

However, my stance was very challenged on our recent trip to Mexico. In Mexico, carrying any guns or ammo is illegal and NOT recommended as you WILL go to jail.

So, who's carrying guns in Mexico? The drug dealers, criminals and outlaws, that's who!

And who is getting shot and killed regularly in Mexico? Ordinary people on the streets, in restaurants or in the marketplaces.

Right after we got back to the States, we were told about a man and his wife in an RV park in Mexico that were attacked by two men masquerading as LEO's. They had tied up the park security guard and picked their rig out of all the others to invade. The husband stopped the attack at the door of their rig, however, he did get shot in the leg and seriously injured. The criminals ran away after shooting him.

I hope that any like-minded criminals are reading this forum. They might want to think very hard about trying anything like that in any State-side RV park. :rolleyes:

DH has a story he loves to tell from a Paul Harvey program. He asks the question, "Which nation on the face of the earth has the lowest crime rate and why?"

The answer: Switzerland and the reason why:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gun politics in Switzerland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland) are unique in Europe. The personal weapon of militia is kept at home as part of the military obligations. Switzerland has one of the highest militia gun ownership rates in the world.

I don't want to turn this thread into something negative as I very much enjoy the free flow of discussion that goes on here. I know that there are lots of strong opinions out there on this subject. I've never had a "strong" opinion that would cause me to challenge the rights of another person, but as this world continues to slide in the wrong direction, I do have a strong opinion that we need to have the right to choose to bear arms. I'm glad to see that there are so many out there that are handling this matter in a considered and careful way. :)

Delaine and Lindy
04-12-2010, 06:22 PM
I never owned a Hand Gun until I retired from the Military. However after seeing so many home invasions and needless killings. I went and got a C/C permit and have owned had guns since 1993 and never leave home without a weapon. I have had Long rifles and Shot Guns since I was given my first rifle at the age of 10. As a matter of fact we used our stimilus money to buy Guns and Ammo and do have several rounds. Just bought a "Judge" awesome weapon, the name came from so many Judges who have them. Its a awesome weapon, fires 410 gauge rounds or 45 cal. DW has her own weapon and knows how to use it. Every Weapon we have is loaded. Never forget that a deadly weapon has only one purpose. I still believe that its better to be Judged by 12 than carried by 6. GBY....

olcoon
04-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Draco Dog,
The reason for "storing " your weapon and ammo separatly is for safety...to keep someone unfamilar (child/untrained adult) from gaining access to them and having an accident. With that in mind, the firearm owner has to make a decision about having a loaded firearm in the home (stick or RV). With the way things are these days, I opt to have my firearm (several of them) loaded in my home. You never know who is knocking on your door or what their purpose is. My feeling is that if a bad guy knocks on my door with bad intentions, I'm going to knock back with a high caliber knock! An unloaded gun is only an expensive club should you need it for self defense. I always look before I open the door! I don't have to worry about children in the home now, except for my grandson. When my children were young, one day I got out some of my guns, and showed them, along with a talk about guns. Children are curious about many things. They see "adults" doing things, they want to try it. I showed them that the firearms were unloaded, and let them hold them, keeping in mind muzzle control, and told them what a gun can do if misused. I also told them that they may see a gun in the house and they should always think that it is loaded, and not touch it (any loaded guns were hidden). I then told them that if they ever wanted to look at one of my firearms, or to shoot it to tell me and that we would do it. At least for my children, to my knowledge this has worked. I've also had the talk with my grandson.

While reading the comments on this I'm pleased that all the discussions have been very civil. Everyone has the right to their own opinion and decisions. We are very lucky in this country that our Founding Fathers included the 2nd Ammendment in our Constitution. I was just wondering how many of us belong to the NRA? Right, wrong, or indifferent, they are the only organization that are fighting for us to keep this right. The way things are going, it's possible we may lose it in the future.

Sorry for the long post, but this is something I feel strongly about. I'm off the soap box now!

hart1369
04-12-2010, 07:59 PM
i believe the judge to be the perfect vehicle weapon and now that i think about it it would be good for the 5er i personnaly carry a s&w cs 45
I never owned a Hand Gun until I retired from the Military. However after seeing so many home invasions and needless killings. I went and got a C/C permit and have owned had guns since 1993 and never leave home without a weapon. I have had Long rifles and Shot Guns since I was given my first rifle at the age of 10. As a matter of fact we used our stimilus money to buy Guns and Ammo and do have several rounds. Just bought a "Judge" awesome weapon, the name came from so many Judges who have them. Its a awesome weapon, fires 410 gauge rounds or 45 cal. DW has her own weapon and knows how to use it. Every Weapon we have is loaded. Never forget that a deadly weapon has only one purpose. I still believe that its better to be Judged by 12 than carried by 6. GBY....

superduty08
04-12-2010, 09:28 PM
I also carried for a living and will always carry to live. I appreciate all that take the time for training because if something happens in public there is a pretty good chance of having armed back up. My job now does not allow a weapon on person nor property and it gives me such an empty feeling being unarmed. When at our farm I don't let my DW out alone without her .22 revolver loaded with a shot shell every other round. Never know when an unanounced/uninvited guest or snake/coyote will show up.

OhioJay
04-12-2010, 09:58 PM
I have to ask, after seeing it a few times: What does DW stand for? And what is a stick? (Sorry to get of track. But if I'm ever going to fit in, I need the lingo!!! LOL)

I live in one of the best counties in the country, in a golf course community, with friendly neighbors all around. Several years ago, I had to walk a salesman off of my porch at gunpoint!! I told him two times to leave, but he continued to through a screaming fit on my porch!! Even after leveling a 12 gauge shotgun on him at his eye level, he was still belligerant!! He did leave, allbeit very slowly, and still screaming at me. You never know where or when something may happen, but it's nice to be prepared. He went on to a neighbors house around the corner. Because of the layout of the neighborhood, she saw all the action on my front porch from her back door. He knocked on her door, but she went upstairs (unarmed). He then entered the garage, and was knocking on the garage entry door to the house. She later said she wanted to call me, but she had left the phone downstairs, and was too afraid to go down and get it. Some salesman, huh?

BruteForce
04-12-2010, 10:05 PM
I've had my concealed carry permit for over 10 years. Hardly ever leave home without my Springfield XD. When I'm on the road, I have one in the truck and one in the trailer. Far too many freaks out there these days..(sadly)

I have to ask, after seeing it a few times: What does DW stand for?

I too would like to know what that stands for. I've seen "BH" (Better half), but "DH" is foreign to me.

Updated: Googled to find that it stands for "Dear Wife". I suppose the inverse is "DH" (Dear Husband).

jbeletti
04-12-2010, 10:08 PM
I have to ask, after seeing it a few times: What does DW stand for? And what is a stick? (Sorry to get of track. But if I'm ever going to fit in, I need the lingo!!! LOL)...

Here ya go - common online abbreviations (//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/3971-Common-RV-Online-Abbreviations)

Sundance_kid
04-12-2010, 10:14 PM
I saw in the paper the other day that Vermont passed a conseal carry law no permit required, as have 8 other States. Would be nice if all States had it.

done-it-again
04-13-2010, 12:15 PM
I have a CCW for California and carry a 40 Beretta in the PU and a 357 S&W in the 5th and lots of times there is a NAA Mini Mag in my pocket. We travel alot and I feel more secure with my friends.

How did you get your CCW for CA? I do carry my guns in the trailer but not in my truck. What's the point on carry a gun if you cannot have it loaded in the truck "legally". My LEO buddies say its very tuff for one in CA. They say you need a darn good reason for it.

Hamshog
04-13-2010, 01:12 PM
How did you get your CCW for CA? I do carry my guns in the trailer but not in my truck. What's the point on carry a gun if you cannot have it loaded in the truck "legally". My LEO buddies say its very tuff for one in CA. They say you need a darn good reason for it.

Hey done-it-again,

Some county's in CA give more freely than others. In the big cities and more populated areas they are hard to get. You can "Open Carry" in CA, so if you don't conceal in your truck and have the gun unloaded, but the ammo available to load quickly, I believe from all the law I've read, it's legal. If you're real worried about being legal? The criminals sure aren't!! Do you get stopped very much? If it's concealed, who knows you have it?

I'd rather be explaining why I had a gun when I defended myself to a jury, than have 6 of my friends carrying me or a loved one out of the church... I've taken the 2nd Ammendment as my CCW for a long time now, and will until they start "shall issue" in California..

Regards, Hamshog

Elevatorman
04-13-2010, 04:12 PM
Never thought this thread would start here, but boy am I pleased at the responses! Seems a lot of us carry and transport our personal choice for protection, but I wonder how many have given thought to following penetration of those pistol rounds out beyond the intended target. Camper walls are somewhat thin especially compared to our stick homes. I would suggest a bird shot round from a short barreled 12ga. would be all you would want to fire off inside the camper so as not to injure the camper in the next site. Of course should we have to go outside got to love those Federal Hydrashock 45's. The Judge IS a great choice for the "camping situation" as well as the truck. It's next on the "want" list. I wonder if I can use that excuse to get a larger safe?

Jim B-----You know there is a skeet/trap/sporting clays course about 3 miles from Willow Tree in SC where this yrs. state chapter is meeting this month as well as you. Might be some interest in the future for a shoot to be included during the rally time! Maybe this fall!

Ernie & Lettie
04-13-2010, 09:06 PM
Arizona is trying to do the same thing. You can carry a gun without a permit. Ernie & Lettie

jbeletti
04-14-2010, 09:41 AM
Never thought this thread would start here, but boy am I pleased at the responses!
Firearms are a part of our culture and because many of us RVers also hunt, shoot skeet/trap, are LE or former LE or simply use for personal protection, I felt the conversation finally warranted it's own sub-forum to have a place to discuss and to move past discussion all to this new home. I hunted as a youth with my step-father and have been around all manner of hunting weaponry. I too have been trained to use firearms and I am a firearm owner.

To the extent that those who have an interest in firearms as it relates to traveling by RV, continue to keep the conversation constructive and civil - we'll have an nice RV relevant firearm resource here :)

Jim B-----You know there is a skeet/trap/sporting clays course about 3 miles from Willow Tree in SC where this yrs. state chapter is meeting this month as well as you. Might be some interest in the future for a shoot to be included during the rally time! Maybe this fall!
Sounds fun. I've shot clay pigeons as a youth but nothing in many decades. No longer own any long guns. But hey, if I can pick them out of the air with my Sig P229, I'm good to go :) Seriously, sounds like fun if someone cares to make any arrangements and is willing to share their shot gun :)

davebennington
04-14-2010, 11:18 AM
If someone is going to setup a visit to the range, I will bring a shotgun and shells. If needed I can bring a case of clays and thrower also.

Dave

boatto5er
04-14-2010, 12:52 PM
As a retired Field Artillery Officer, I'm still trying to figure out how to tow this behind my 5er. Not sure it will qualify as a concealed weapon however.

OhioJay
04-14-2010, 02:43 PM
boat to 5er, I don't know if that will qualify or not! Sure looks like a M198? I'm ex-field arty, too. Spent most of my time on a self propelled M109A4. Good fun!! Every once in a while, a gun expert or enthusiast with a big novelty-type of gun will show it off, and ask if I've ever shot something "this big"? Yeah...as a matter of fact, I have!! LOL

boatto5er
04-14-2010, 02:53 PM
boat to 5er, I don't know if that will qualify or not! Sure looks like a M198? I'm ex-field arty, too. Spent most of my time on a self propelled M109A4. Good fun!! Every once in a while, a gun expert or enthusiast with a big novelty-type of gun will show it off, and ask if I've ever shot something "this big"? Yeah...as a matter of fact, I have!! LOL

Yep - M198. I've also launched a couple of short range nuclear capable surface to surface missiles (Sergeant and Lance), both now withdrawn from service as a result of the START treaties. I'm like you - get a chuckle when folks show me their "big" guns and ask if I've ever shot anything as big as that!

Elevatorman
04-14-2010, 07:48 PM
Sounds fun. I've shot clay pigeons as a youth but nothing in many decades. No longer own any long guns. But hey, if I can pick them out of the air with my Sig P229, I'm good to go //heartlandowners.org/../../forum/images/smilies/smile.gif Seriously, sounds like fun if someone cares to make any arrangements and is willing to share their shot gun

Sharing or even loaning a shotgun isn't a problem. The place is called Myrtle Grove Gun Club, built by a Mr. Stillwagon. Besides being a real estate developer, he is a trap champion here in South Carolina as well as around the country. Great relaxing place to shoot compared to others in the state. Convenient to Willow Tree too! Has trap,skeet and my favorite, sporting clays. I'll start some dialogue soon with the mgr. and see what I can come up with for the fall. I think it could be fun!

Elevatorman
04-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Jim B-- Sorry I haven't learned how to quote just a section of a post yet.

Ray LeTourneau
04-15-2010, 08:21 AM
As a retired Field Artillery Officer, I'm still trying to figure out how to tow this behind my 5er. Not sure it will qualify as a concealed weapon however.
I don't suppose that would work on waterfowl. :-)

boatto5er
04-15-2010, 11:14 AM
I don't suppose that would work on waterfowl. :-)

Actually, upon thinking about this, I surmised that a White Phosphorus round set to airburst would achieve two purposes. First, it would work on shooting the waterfowl, and second, it would also cook them for you before they hit the ground.

OhioJay
04-15-2010, 03:32 PM
Actually, upon thinking about this, I surmised that a White Phosphorus round set to airburst would achieve two purposes. First, it would work on shooting the waterfowl, and second, it would also cook them for you before they hit the ground.

I was going to go with a flechette (sp?) round. Those burst in the air, and thousands of tiny, steel, arrow-like projectiles rain down.

Elevatorman
04-15-2010, 06:41 PM
I was going to go with a flechette (sp?) round. Those burst in the air, and thousands of tiny, steel, arrow-like projectiles rain down.

As much as they didn't work as well as expected, and were discontinued, you can still buy those little buggers "for display purposes only". Yeh right!!

Pulltab
04-15-2010, 07:11 PM
Protecting yourself and your family is a must. Doing it legally is a must. It is basically an insurance policy, everywhere you can legally take it, it should go with you. You don't wake up in the morning and say "I'm not going to need my car insurance today cause I am not going to have an accident." They become like a watch or cell phone, you leave home without it and you know you look naked :D

gratton
04-17-2010, 05:29 AM
I have a Texas CHL and always carry my Springfield XDM 40 cal with me. While in the trailer always keep it in a central area close to the door. Never know who is going to come knocking. Have only had my CHL for a couple of years, but my wife states that she feels safer now that I carry.

Joel
04-22-2010, 12:40 PM
As my wife & I do alot of RV'ing, I have concealed permits in two states so to be legal in 38 of the states. I've had a CHL for years and will not go anywhere without something to protect me & my family..

RollingHome
04-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Joel/Gratton, I'm ignornat CHL ??? does thsi mean Concealed Handgun License ? Is there one which is multi state or ?

jmgratz
04-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Joel/Gratton, I'm ignornat CHL ??? does thsi mean Concealed Handgun License ? Is there one which is multi state or ?

Yes CHL means Concealed Handgun License. The only multi-state handgun license I am aware of is the one for active and retired peace officers. There are specific requirements which must be met before they can obtain this one.

hart1369
04-23-2010, 04:31 PM
chl is concealed handgun license most states have some reciprcol agreements with other states and some have nonresident liscenses to allow you to carry in multiple states

Pulltab
04-23-2010, 06:37 PM
I have an Ohio and Florida license and am covered in 38 states.

RollingHome
04-23-2010, 07:47 PM
I was recently told "they" passed a open carry permit ??? I did some research and I could not find any new laws... Do any of you know of anything new for open carry ? It sounds like an invitation for hassle to me or am I wrong ?

Joel
04-23-2010, 09:05 PM

The state I live in is Kansas and before then I was a resident of Texas. I had a Texas Concealed Carry License for years. But when I moved up here I did research on which permits would get me legal in most states. I know theres probably more, but I got my Kansas CHL & then got a Utah CHL and let my Texas license expire as it did not help on being legal in anymore states.

Best do the research on these if your considering getting a CHL.. IMHO..

Good luck

Joel
04-23-2010, 09:07 PM
I was recently told "they" passed a open carry permit ??? I did some research and I could not find any new laws... Do any of you know of anything new for open carry ? It sounds like an invitation for hassle to me or am I wrong ?

Kansas is one of the open carry states (theres several that are open carry) but some cities/towns have laws against open carry. To be better safe than sorry in my opinion carry legally CONCEALED..

berger
04-26-2010, 08:59 PM
I am a CCW in Va. Yep I carry all the time. You can open carry in the free state of VA.

gonervn
04-27-2010, 10:17 AM
My wife and I both have a carry concealed and also volunteer for our County Sheriff's Office. You are correct there are a lot of permits and growing at a fast rate. We both have Glock 22's. Carry in the RV is the same as a home, but State laws may be an issue. I have the laws for each State and you do have to watch those if you carry inside a vehicle or on your person, but if in the RV I am really not very concerned with traveling from State to State.

My cousin has a saying to consider. It is always better to be tried by 12 then carried by 6. Just a thought.

lmcclure
04-27-2010, 11:26 AM
2 points, Tennessee is an open or concealed carry state, and is reciprocal with any state that has the same standards of permitting as they do. That includes Texas. Look at the State site for concealed carry and it will give you which states are legal to carry in and the states that have reciprocal rights.

clutepc
07-27-2010, 09:32 PM
This is a great site for the various gun laws when you travel state to state.
My wife and I both have our CC permits so we use it great when we travel.
It normally stays updated with the latest changes in the laws.

http://handgunlaw.us/

Draco Dog
07-31-2010, 02:38 AM
I have a 38 hand gun. I like the gun, but it is too heavy and bulky to carry in my purse.

Any suggestions on what I should purchase to carry in my purse.

I want something large enough-----but also small enough to carry. I have a concealed weapons permit. Thanks for your help.

hart1369
07-31-2010, 10:22 AM
I have a 38 hand gun. I like the gun, but it is too heavy and bulky to carry in my purse.

Any suggestions on what I should purchase to carry in my purse.

I want something large enough-----but also small enough to carry. I have a concealed weapons permit. Thanks for your help. You might want to look at the ruger LCP and LCR. Smith-Wesson has a new line of hand guns called the Body Guard ,Kel-tec makes a light weight 9mm and .380

buckeyebob
08-01-2010, 10:29 AM
i have a ruger 380 lcp.9 ounces or so!it has a long trigger pull but we aint target shootin!!i use self defence deeeeeep,jacketed hollow points at a buck a piece,but that makes that little,lite gun big gun equalthey make a cell phone flat case that this gun fits perfectlly in ,it comes in pink or black and fits on yer belt,bulldog brand,20 bucks from cabalas.this gun also comes in girly colors but you wouldnt want a kid to think it was a toy.squeeze slow,,buckeyebob

Forrest Fetherolf
08-02-2010, 12:01 AM
As a retired law enforcement officer (LAPD) I like this revolver from Taurus called "The Judge". Watch the video, you will see this is an excellent defensive weapon. You can use a combo of 410 shot gun shells and 45 cal rounds in the same cylinder, load the cylinder with 2-#00 buck 410 shells and 3- 45 cal rounds. Shoot the 410s first, if that doesn't discourage the bad guy, the last two shots with the 45 cal should. Caution.......some states such as CA considers this gun illegal (sawed-off shot with less than 18" barrel).
http://www.impactguns.com/store/taurus_judge_revolvers.html
http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=199&category=Revolver&toggle=tr&breadcrumbseries=41
http://www.taurususa.com/gun-selector-results.cfm?series=41&toggle=tr

hoefler
08-02-2010, 07:11 AM
Consider thr Taurus TCP 380. Little bigger than the Ket-Tec and LCP. Has a better feel in your hand plus you are less likley to have the slide bite you. I carry it in a wallet holster, yet to be detected!

Draco Dog
08-06-2010, 02:05 AM
As always, you're the best. Not sure yet which smaller gun to choose, but you gave me several ideas.

Thank you buckeyebob for your input. I would never choose a pink, blue, etc. color for a gun. I am so surprised that companies are allowed to manufacture guns in those colors. I can't imagine any youngster looking at a pink gun and thinking it was real or/and could hurt someone. Young people get into enough trouble without accidentally thinking that a cute, colored gun is real.

Retired2010
08-06-2010, 06:23 AM
As always, you're the best. Not sure yet which smaller gun to choose, but you gave me several ideas.

Thank you buckeyebob for your input. I would never choose a pink, blue, etc. color for a gun. I am so surprised that companies are allowed to manufacture guns in those colors. I can't imagine any youngster looking at a pink gun and thinking it was real or/and could hurt someone. Young people get into enough trouble without accidentally thinking that a cute, colored gun is real.

My CCW is a Ruger LCP with the Crimson Trace laser. No barrel sighting required. Just put the laser dot on the bad guy and pull. I holster it with the Super Fly in my front pocket with no imprint.

BillandEmma
09-19-2010, 07:43 PM
I have a Concealed Ky permit! and have a 40 Caliber stainless "Browning auto" Gold Trigger SIGNATURE SERIES.

RollingHome
09-19-2010, 11:44 PM
Draco Dog, A purse will hold a lot. You may want to look at a 10 MM Glock. This gun is used by many European forces as a primary weapon. It's a step under a 45Cal. semi in take down power but still a no nonsense gun. My second choice is 380 ACP made by Astra or some other quality gun makers. Not the power (or size) of the Glock but not a whimp either.

Tom

DBHooper
09-25-2010, 12:26 AM
Thanks to all who've posted to this thread - it has been educational and entertaining. Whether or not to bring along a firearm is truly a matter of personal choice (I choose yes) but it does raise constant concern when one realizes the number of conflicting, confusing and constitutionally questionable firearms laws carried by the different states.

I'm gratified to see that there are staunch supporters of our individual right to bear arms within the RV community. As a newbie it was one of my concerns.

motorcyclechic
09-25-2010, 07:32 PM
I always carry or take my pistol when traveling esp. being a woman alone. I always try to carry on gun on my person instead of my purse in case my purse gets stolen. I carry a S&W Airlite .357 w/ hollow pt. mags for ammo. It only weighs about 12 oz. unloaded, not much bigger than my hand.. and it fits right in my pocket, inside my jeans, or on my ankle and no one even has a clue.

Pulltab
09-25-2010, 08:03 PM
I always carry or take my pistol when traveling esp. being a woman alone. I always try to carry on gun on my person instead of my purse in case my purse gets stolen. I carry a S&W Airlite .357 w/ hollow pt. mags for ammo. It only weighs about 12 oz. unloaded, not much bigger than my hand.. and it fits right in my pocket, inside my jeans, or on my ankle and no one even has a clue.
Good for you! It is nice to see you take you own personal safety serious. Welcome to the board also!

motorcyclechic
09-25-2010, 08:28 PM
I am member of the NRA, a local gun club and have my SRO certification. More women need to learn to protect themselves; and thanks! Do they have a link of shooting ranges in each state? That would be nice to know when traveling, for practice and fun!

Pulltab
09-25-2010, 08:48 PM
I am member of the NRA, a local gun club and have my SRO certification. More women need to learn to protect themselves; and thanks! Do they have a link of shooting ranges in each state? That would be nice to know when traveling, for practice and fun!
Chic, here is a link to Cheaper than dirts Range finder http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/GunRanges/
(http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/GunRanges/)

Jimmy
02-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Just bringing this to the top again, I wish every trained legal citizen carried...

AKGUY47
03-03-2011, 10:57 PM
I love gun talk. I grew up with guns, and was taught gun safety from my father. Here in Alaska it is legal to conceal carry without a permit. Ninety percent of the people who live here own guns, mainly for hunting. Home invasions don't happen my neighborhood :) I always have a gun in the truck and carry a 12 gauge while camping...those pesky brown bears!

Draco Dog
03-04-2011, 01:17 AM
I sure miss Alaska. We spent several years in that beautiful state. 3 years out of Sitka and 5 years out of Ketchikan. Working at logging camps. I always loved the float-plane rides. There is no state more perfect than Alaska.

SouthernNights
03-04-2011, 06:10 AM
Thanks for bumping this back up Jimmy.
Sam and I will be taking the Concelaed Permit class this spring.
I have am not a huge gun fanatic. i have shot a few times. Sam on the other hand owns guns and has taken several courses on shooting and is pretty good at it.

I am looking forward to class. Not really sure what I am going to do with it when its over though...just have an interest in taking the class.

Sandpirate69
06-26-2011, 02:54 PM
In ref. to this thread. If you are RVing with your family, you should invest in a firearm. I will not tell you what type, but one you are familiar with or can handle. I'm a 17 year Law Enforecment Officer and a Veteran. Short story, while parked in a reststop on the Florida Turnpike, a couple of young men tried to get into my RV while my family & I were inside. It didn't go too well for them, will not go into detail, but my wife, daughter, dog, & I were able to fend them off with a pistol grip 12 gauge shotgun. So yes, it can save a life, maybe yours or your family. As far as concealed permits are considered, check the state you will be traveling to and through. Most do honor Florida's CC permit.

JohnDar
06-26-2011, 06:07 PM
Simply put...yes. I have a Michigan CPL and the only time I don't carry something is when I'm responding from home to the fire station.

SilverRhino
06-26-2011, 06:27 PM
In ref. to this thread. If you are RVing with your family, you should invest in a firearm. I will not tell you what type, but one you are familiar with or can handle. I'm a 17 year Law Enforecment Officer and a Veteran. Short story, while parked in a reststop on the Florida Turnpike, a couple of young men tried to get into my RV while my family & I were inside. It didn't go too well for them, will not go into detail, but my wife, daughter, dog, & I were able to fend them off with a pistol grip 12 gauge shotgun. So yes, it can save a life, maybe yours or your family. As far as concealed permits are considered, check the state you will be traveling to and through. Most do honor Florida's CC permit.

Found these comments very interesting!

My neighbor, a Lt. on our local Police Dept. and three State Troopers that I have spoken with about RVin and firearms.....ALL offered the same advice......nearly word for word! They each offered this advice......in fact said it would be foolish NOT to have a firearm in the RV.

Yes.....I do follow their advice, we are protected when we travel.

Travel Safe!

JohnDar
06-26-2011, 07:20 PM
Found these comments very interesting!

My neighbor, a Lt. on our local Police Dept. and three State Troopers that I have spoken with about RVin and firearms.....ALL offered the same advice......nearly word for word! They each offered this advice......in fact said it would be foolish NOT to have a firearm in the RV.

Yes.....I do follow their advice, we are protected when we travel.

Travel Safe!

Ya gotta figure, most of us with big RV's are getting a little long in the tooth and give the appearance that we've got money. That makes us look like easy prey for the S4B's out there looking for a quick buck. We're expected to cringe and cry for our lives when threatened, praying for some mystical power to save us. That ain't gonna happen, so you better be ready to save your own keister. As the saying goes, " When seconds count, the police are just minutes away."

BC1of38
06-26-2011, 08:21 PM
I wish. I wish. I wish. Good old Canada says no go! Lots of toys, alas, range use only. You all (y'all) are lucky.

Hastey
06-26-2011, 10:18 PM
http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/

Info you might can use.

BTW...I always am armed. Too many bad folks in the world. JMHO.

JohnDar
06-26-2011, 11:40 PM
http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/

Info you might can use.

BTW...I always am armed. Too many bad folks in the world. JMHO.

Nice website, thanks! Already printed out the map of where I can carry.

wolfrat1
07-03-2011, 12:32 AM
i am new to rving but not weapons. i'm a 30plus year police officer and 27yr military veteran. if anyone is rving, i highly suggest some type of protection. things aren't getting any safer and your family and you deserve to be protected. what ever type of weapon you get, everyone in your rv should be able to use it effectively. not trying to scare anyone, this is just the way of the world and we should/must adapt to it. i have used mine in the line of duty more than once, but i'm still here to type this. rving is becoming more fun everyday i use it. i want to be around to keep enjoying it. now if i can just get this backing up thing down, i'll be good to go. lol...

DW_Gray
07-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Nice website, thanks! Already printed out the map of where I can carry.

Not only this is a nice website, I think it's the first organization that provides "Self-Defense SHIELD." Self-Defense SHIELD is an insurance-backed membership benefit that will pay for your competent, pro-2nd Amendment lawyer, so you can confidently carry your gun without having to fear losing everything when you're forced to use it.

I paid my my Self-Defense SHIELD membership, but I hope I never have to use it.

TorontoGunGuy
07-15-2011, 03:22 PM
We are about to retire; buying residential property in FL at some point this year, perhaps a sixplex (one for the kids and the other for income). Also an RV as while we are able to we would like to see this great land of ours. Presently living in the Toronto area but spend much time stateside as half the family and friends are there. Have several CFP's but not a one is good in FL. How does one go about getting good to carry in FL before setting up home? We may RV full time for two or three years before we settle.

There are, of course, no carry permits in Canada, but we love to compete IPSC and are joining GSSF as well.

Have had an attempted carjacking in Orlando in broad daylight by an armed thug and not one, but TWO, attempted home invasions. We intend to travel only where we can protect ourselves and would surely like FL to be one of those states. We are good in about 40 states at present and look forward to a federal reciprocity law that does not impinge on state rights to issue under scrutiny but perhaps sets those criteria (no whackos and no felons is where I think I would start).

jimtoo
07-15-2011, 04:05 PM
We are about to retire; buying residential property in FL at some point this year, perhaps a sixplex (one for the kids and the other for income). Also an RV as while we are able to we would like to see this great land of ours. Presently living in the Toronto area but spend much time stateside as half the family and friends are there. Have several CFP's but not a one is good in FL. How does one go about getting good to carry in FL before setting up home? We may RV full time for two or three years before we settle.

There are, of course, no carry permits in Canada, but we love to compete IPSC and are joining GSSF as well.

Have had an attempted carjacking in Orlando in broad daylight by an armed thug and not one, but TWO, attempted home invasions. We intend to travel only where we can protect ourselves and would surely like FL to be one of those states. We are good in about 40 states at present and look forward to a federal reciprocity law that does not impinge on state rights to issue under scrutiny but perhaps sets those criteria (no whackos and no felons is where I think I would start).

Hi TorontoGunGuy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Hopefully you will decide on a Heartland unit to full time in. We have a lot of members full timing in Heartlands now, so if you have questions, just ask.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

JohnDar
07-15-2011, 04:31 PM

You can start by going through the information at this website.
http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/eligible.html

Yellowreef
07-16-2011, 01:10 AM
Florida is one of the few states that issues ccw to non-residents. You can apply by mail.

Edit: You do have to be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident, you dont have to live in FL though.

kwb4444
07-27-2011, 09:57 AM
Florida is one of the few states that issues ccw to non-residents. You can apply by mail.

Edit: You do have to be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident, you dont have to live in FL though.

We have two important issues here . . . . carring a hand gun in the RV for your protection; the other is carring a concealed wepon on your person.

1. Gun laws vary state to state; however i believe that it is generally accepted to carry a handgun in an RV for you and your family protection. We are fulltiimers and our RV is our home!! If you are attacked in your RV by crazies, you need to take whatever steps you can to protect yourself. After the fact of using a handgun or shotgun, you will have to deal with the police. I can't believe that anyone would fault you for protecting yourself.

2. As to carring a hand gun on your person you can get a carry permit from almost all states. I have a Florida permit that is accepted by a lot of states. You can get a Florida permit as a non-resident. You can get a non-resident permit in other states such as Utah. Having a permit in Fl and Utah will cover you in a lot of states. I think that Virginia has a not-resident permit. In Vermont you do not need a permit to carry; I think that is for Alaska as well.

If you have a weapon in your RV or on person, you have an obligation for knowing how to use it. You have to get out there and shoot it. A handgun makes a lot of noise, and you need to be prepaid. A lady on this post has a .357 in a lightweight pistol. I don't know if she knows it, but the .357 in a light gun will have a terrific kick. She needs to shoot it.

PROTECT YOURSELF . . . . ken

Jimmy
07-27-2011, 11:47 AM
If she has to shoot it in a "defense" mode, she will not even hear it...

scott b
07-27-2011, 04:33 PM
I don't mean to rustle any feathers, however for those of you considering a Hand gun for self defense in your rv or home , you are really limiting your ability to protect your selves and your property with a pistol. Having a weapon no matter what it is a good idea, however having the ability to use it no matter how proficient you are under the( stress of the moment) is another thing. I think that for this reason among others a Shotgun is a much better choice, any pistol has only one small projectile coming out of the barrel , where as a Shotgun has as many as 200 depending on the type of ammo you are using. If you are ever confronted with the real possibility of having to use any weapon as a tool of protection , you are much better off shooting at your intended target with a bunch of little hornets than one bullet, in addition if you are boon docking and have a aggressive Coyote, Bear or other threatening critter , a Shotgun is a much better choice. Short barrel shotguns are easy to maneuver even in the confines of an RV are relatively inexpensive and can be used without the need for a concealed weapons permit.

I am not trying to discourage any of you from buying a weapon for self defense as i believe it is our duty to ourselves and our family to protect ourselves . No matter which weapon you choose , get lots of good instruction and become familiar with the use of it.

I am basing these comments on a lifetime of competitive shooting, as well as articles written in various shooting publications. Hope everyone has a great day.....Scott

Hastey
07-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Scott makes a good point. I travel with four, one of my sidearms, shotgun, rifle and the combo (Taurus Judge) and situation dictates. Also, if you don't hit the mark the bullet out of a pistol or rifle is going somewhere. That brings into play the other RVs (if any) around you. JMHO.

Greenstonekiwis
07-29-2011, 01:32 AM
Interesting to read your comments on this - we are not used to having to 'arm' ourselves in our country (NZ), however as we will be spending a few months touring the USA we think it wise to do so. We do own firearms that we use for hunting, and have a Firearms Licence. Will it be a problem for us to purchase a gun in the States on our NZ Gun Licence? Also if we wanted to get a hand gun and concealed carry permit issued for the length of our stay in America, and we are not residents, will that be easy enough? We would bring the firearms back to NZ with us when we head home at the end of our journey.

Hastey
07-29-2011, 08:20 AM
Interesting to read your comments on this - we are not used to having to 'arm' ourselves in our country (NZ), however as we will be spending a few months touring the USA we think it wise to do so. We do own firearms that we use for hunting, and have a Firearms Licence. Will it be a problem for us to purchase a gun in the States on our NZ Gun Licence? Also if we wanted to get a hand gun and concealed carry permit issued for the length of our stay in America, and we are not residents, will that be easy enough? We would bring the firearms back to NZ with us when we head home at the end of our journey.

First let me say this: I don't want anyone coming here from NZ or anywhere else with the impression that it is unsafe to travel the United States. I do not believe that anyone on this discussion intended that. The fact that we are armed is what makes us safe. The "bad guys" don't know who has a gun and who doesn't. The power of the unknown is a great defense.

The chances of something actually happening is comparable to the chances of getting hit by lightning.

As far as getting a permit; in Oklahoma you have to go to a class, to the range, finger prints, FBI/OSBI investigation, and then a couple hundred dollars and minimum 90 day wait you might get your permit.

jayc
07-29-2011, 10:39 AM
I agree with Rex about the "need" to go armed. Its a shame that any of us must, but unfortunately its a fact.

In Texas, you must be a resident of the state and I believe that most of the states with CHL's require citizenship but I'm not completely certain. In today's Homeland Security society, I think it would be dificult to justify how someone from another country that is not friendly to the United States was allowed to have a concealed handgun license.

SilverRhino
07-29-2011, 02:41 PM
I also agree with Scott. Having retired from the Zoo business, I had to deal with the possibility of highly dangerous animals escaping into a park full of visitors. We always had emergency teams set up that trained for this possibility. One member would be armed with a dart gun loaded with a fast acting tranquilizer, with a back up person protecting them. The weapon of choice for back up was a 12ga shotgun, loaded with O buckshot. You had a much better chance of hitting your target and the impact of the shot had a greater effect on the animal than a misplaced rifle slug. Of course there were situations and animals that only a high powered rifle would be able to stop.

The key to any of these was to constantly train in the use of each of the possible weapons so that in a tense situation, and individual was familiar enough to be able to be perform the required task.

jayc
07-29-2011, 04:16 PM
And all that time I thought chasing armed felons was dangerous...

Greenstonekiwis
07-31-2011, 01:34 AM
thanks all for comments......u can be sure we will be carrying a gun with us as we full time travel around our own country. Seems there are more and more nutters around and its better to be prepared and never have to use a firearm than wish u had one if a situation arose. Just the way of the world. :rolleyes:

TXBobcat
07-31-2011, 08:19 AM
When I know I am not going to go into Canada I carry a 12gage double barrel carriage shotgun. However in the last 4 years I have only carried it once, I keep going to Canada. I have never had to even think about using the shotgun.

If you do not stay all night at highway rest stops, or boondock, like me you probably will never have any need for a weapon.

Some time ago on the Escapees Forum a lady had asked if she should carry a hand gun. Of course many said yes and many said no. One person said if you're in a campground just open the door and yell help you will have a dozen people come to your aid with their weapons.

For Greenstonekiwis, come on over and have a great time. Stay the night in our campgrounds and maybe some of the boondocking places if that is your desire. You should have no problems. I have visited with many folks from other countries and none of them had any problems. No place is absolutely safe. Who knows maybe you will be visited by a bear, cougar, wolf or one of our many friendly wildlife creatures. Just don't bring any Croc's we have plenty... :o

BC

porthole
07-31-2011, 09:14 AM
One person said if you're in a campground just open the door and yell help you will have a dozen people come to your aid with their weapons.

Yeah - like a car alarm.........

Reminds of thread where someone mentioned watching an individual go around to all the trailers trying the compartment doors, looking for an unlocked unit, but she didn't call anyone :eek:

JohnDar
07-31-2011, 10:58 AM
Yeah - like a car alarm.........

Reminds of thread where someone mentioned watching an individual go around to all the trailers trying the compartment doors, looking for an unlocked unit, but she didn't call anyone :eek:

Kind of hard to scream out the door for help if the intruder is standing in it with a weapon. Depending on their mental (and pharmaceutical) condition, they might not give a crap if you scream. And there's no guarantee that the senior citizen camped next to you can or will arrive in time after hearing your last blood-curdling scream. As the old saw goes, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

k6fn
08-01-2011, 09:44 AM
Good info for us concerned carriers.. Please, everyone, checkout Alan Korwins books from Bloomfield press.. the 2 main ones are "gun laws in all 50 states" and I think the most important one is "after you shoot" this book has many important items that may help you from being a convicted felon if you ever had to shoot, God forbid if any of us ever have to but God speed to us that can save someone else's life!!
both books are in the $15 range and every carrier should read them..
good luck to all of us..

jerry

TTEDGEM21
08-06-2011, 10:42 PM
As a Marine, I was trained "to kill". As a civilian I do have a concealed handgun permit. I would rather stay alive and possibly be wrong (concerning abiding with all laws while traveling across state lines, as laws will vary...) than "dead" an in compliance with all state laws. An unloaded handgun is of no use to you when someone threatens your life.

Rodney_M
08-06-2011, 11:33 PM
I would agree. I had rather protect my family or self than to not be prepared with all the home invasions and break ins it seems on the rise.. at least in the city I currently live.. they are in the news daily.. Im sure a camper wouldnt be any different to these people if they felt someone was an easy target. I will gladly deal with whatever consequences of having to use one if it means my family remains safe. I am a life member to the NRA and believe in our rights to own guns.. I do also know there are many people who dont have the sense to handle one properly as well, but all we can do for those is help educate them
As a Marine, I was trained "to kill". As a civilian I do have a concealed handgun permit. I would rather stay alive and possibly be wrong (concerning abiding with all laws while traveling across state lines, as laws will vary...) than "dead" an in compliance with all state laws. An unloaded handgun is of no use to you when someone threatens your life.

Jimmy
08-07-2011, 08:29 AM
"Better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6"

2edgesword
08-14-2011, 06:13 PM
Good info for us concerned carriers.. Please, everyone, checkout Alan Korwins books from Bloomfield press.. the 2 main ones are "gun laws in all 50 states" and I think the most important one is "after you shoot" this book has many important items that may help you from being a convicted felon if you ever had to shoot, God forbid if any of us ever have to but God speed to us that can save someone else's life!!
both books are in the $15 range and every carrier should read them..
good luck to all of us..

jerry

I second Jerry on the excellent book by Alan Korwins. While it does contain the legal language covering self-defense laws in all 50 states he highlights the most important sections and shares important case history, interesting commentary in an easy to read, entertaining and sometimes humorous fashion.

A word of caution about bringing a handgun into NYS. The People's Republic of NY has no reciprocity agreement with any other state. While FOPA covers you while traveling through NYS, from a state where you can legally possess a handgun to another state where you can legally possess a handgun, it does not cover a stop and overnight stay in NYS. When traveling through NYS with a handgun the handgun must be unloaded and inaccessible (truck of the car or in the TT). In a situation where there is no separate compartment (motorhome) the firearm must be unloaded in a locked container.

Also, NYS law prohibits carrying a loaded rifle or shotgun in a vehicle. A rifle or shotgun even in the trunk of a vehicle must be unloaded, and I'd have enough concern about this requirement that I wouldn't carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in the TT while traveling through NYS.

Uncle Rog
08-27-2011, 05:37 PM
IMHO, just figured that one out, concealed means just that, concealed.
When I was first issued my CCW it was a pretty straight forward process............
To start now would be a mind-boggling affair..............
As far as having a loaded weapon in the Horn why would you give LE a reason to mess with you at all?
I learned a long time ago that LE has enough people to mess with without bothering law abiding citizens................

Hastey
08-27-2011, 08:15 PM
That is absolutly correct. Concelled is concelled and if the law dosen't have probable cause to search your vehicle you won't ever have a problem. I've carry weapons conceled for years and no one has ever know that I was armed unless I wanted them to.

JohnDar
08-27-2011, 10:02 PM
That is absolutly correct. Concelled is concelled and if the law dosen't have probable cause to search your vehicle you won't ever have a problem. I've carry weapons conceled for years and no one has ever know that I was armed unless I wanted them to.

Don't ask, Don't tell won't work for you in Michigan. When the officer runs your Driver's License in the computer, I'm sure it shows that you have a CPL. Best to not make them ask you about it. This is an excerpt from the Michigan rules for CPL holders:

X. Responsibilities While Carrying
A concealed pistol licensee carrying a concealed pistol must:

Have his or her Concealed Pistol License in possession at all times.

Immediately disclose to a peace officer, if stopped, that he or she is carrying a concealed pistol.

Display his or her Concealed Pistol License to a peace officer upon request.

Display his or her driver license or Michigan personal identification card upon request.

Not carry a concealed pistol while under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance or while having an unlawful bodily alcohol content. However, a licensee who has consumed alcohol can legally transport a pistol if the pistol is in a locked trunk or locked compartment or container that is separated from the ammunition for that pistol.

The licensee must have the Pistol Sales Record (RI-60) in his or her possession for the first 30 days after purchasing the pistol.
For more information on encounters with police, refer to the Michigan State Police’s Web site at www.michigan.gov/msp (http://www.michigan.gov/msp).

goldenbetty
08-27-2011, 10:43 PM
His and Hers CCW's here. Wouldn't leave home without "them".... Be safe everyone. It's a CRAZY world out there!

Jimmy
08-28-2011, 08:47 AM
Don't ask, Don't tell won't work for you in Michigan. When the officer runs your Driver's License in the computer, I'm sure it shows that you have a CPL. Best to not make them ask you about it. This is an excerpt from the Michigan rules for CPL holders:

X. Responsibilities While Carrying
A concealed pistol licensee carrying a concealed pistol must:

Have his or her Concealed Pistol License in possession at all times.

Immediately disclose to a peace officer, if stopped, that he or she is carrying a concealed pistol.

Display his or her Concealed Pistol License to a peace officer upon request.

Display his or her driver license or Michigan personal identification card upon request.

Not carry a concealed pistol while under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance or while having an unlawful bodily alcohol content. However, a licensee who has consumed alcohol can legally transport a pistol if the pistol is in a locked trunk or locked compartment or container that is separated from the ammunition for that pistol.

The licensee must have the Pistol Sales Record (RI-60) in his or her possession for the first 30 days after purchasing the pistol.
For more information on encounters with police, refer to the Michigan State Police’s Web site at www.michigan.gov/msp (http://www.michigan.gov/msp). The "don't ask, don't tell is not a good idea anywhere. All Officers appreciate you letting them know about your Firearm immediately. Stay safe!

JohnDar
08-28-2011, 08:55 AM
I'd probably tell them I have a CPL even if I don't have a weapon with me. There are occasions where I have to leave it at home.

jayc
08-28-2011, 08:59 AM
Thats the best thing to do. I know that Texas has the same thing as Michigan, the Officer knows that you have the CHL, so if you show him your license and tell him whether you are carrying or not, you will be fine.

jayandhisgals
10-17-2012, 01:54 PM
Face it guys, we are all driving around out there with $150k + rigs (most of us have set ups worth more then the average persons home). We are great big moving targets. Just our set up's scream I have money. It would be crazy not to have a CCW. We need to protect our selfs and our property. Especially those of us who boondock or stay at WMarts/Rest stops ect. In the state of Mo. our CCW instructor who was our local deputy sherrif said "do not put your endorsement on your drivers licens get a seperate ID & do not say anything to an officer unless asked". I agree with those who posted before me. Concealed means concealed and unless you plan to use your gun unlawfully you have nothing to worry about.

pegmikef
10-17-2012, 03:02 PM
During my last CHL renewal class, I learned two things about weapons in Texas vehicles here in Texas. You no longer require a license to possess a loaded pistol in your vehicle. The same restrictions apply though such as school parking lots, etc. The law that you must show an officer your CHL if you have a handgun in your possession in the vehiclel is still on the books, but there is no penalty if you fail to (it used to be a misdameanor).

MTPockets
10-17-2012, 03:16 PM
During my last CHL renewal class, I learned two things about weapons in Texas vehicles here in Texas. You no longer require a license to possess a loaded pistol in your vehicle. The same restrictions apply though such as school parking lots, etc. The law that you must show an officeer your CHL if you have a handgun in your possession in the vehicle, but there is no penalty if you fail to (it used to be a misdameanor).

Same in Florida

azdryheat
10-19-2012, 09:54 PM
I didn't read all 15 pages so here goes....AZ requires no license/permit to CCW - anyone can CCW. Regarding the OP's original question - I carry a Glock .45 and an AR-15. Oh, and a retired Sergeant badge from my 30 years as an LEO meaning no CCW permit required anywhere in the US.

Lynn1130
10-20-2012, 09:24 AM
I beg to differ. I do have an Arizona issued CC permit, and 35 years as a LEO in this state. While you can carry concealed in AZ without a CCP you do not have reciprocity in other states that have CC permits. The CC is honored by most states but my badge may not be depending upon which state and the LEO you run in to at the time. Try using the badge in California or NY and see how far it gets you. California does not even like our Arizona window tinting and depending upon the mood of the CHP officer you run into you may get cited for that. Never assume that the badge is a get home free ticket. I hated being badged and thought it was disrespectful to use that as an excuse for bad decisions. One the other hand I should add that there is Federal law which allows current and retired police to carry throughout the US but there are also a number of requirements that go with that, including meeting the requirements for firearms training of police agencies where the person resides at least every 12 months.

And someone earlier said they were told not to tell the LEO that stops you that you are carrying unless asked. Very bad advice from that officer. If you are stopped, put your hands on the top of the steering wheel and tell the officer that you have a weapon in the vehicle and a permit to carry, because he/she may already know from the computer response and be acting accordingly. I always appreciated being told. The officer will almost always assume that while you might be a nice guy because you have a CC permit, you still could be a threat at any point during that contact.

JRBEN
10-22-2012, 01:34 PM
I have a Utah non-resident CCW permit. Being a Maryland resident., it was either that or Florida and Utah was the better option for me. I still can't CC in Maryland, and the Utah permit is not recognized in all states, but it's better than nothing. It's really a shame. I spend 20+ years in the Marine Corps and the state of Maryland deems that, as a citizen of Maryland I don't have the right to carry. Hopefully this will change soon since the Maryland law has been struck down and is currently pending the State's appeal in federal district court.

MdMike
10-25-2012, 10:23 PM
I live in Maryland, and as the original posting stated we are not able to carry here. I have both a Florida and a Utah permit. Since I travel to Florida more so then out west I needed the Florida since they do not recognize other Non-Resident permits there.

I usually have a laptop but always have a smartphone so I can check the laws for states I may be going thru. They change more frequently then we know. I use Handgunlaw.us and USAcarry.com to check on law changes and where my permits are honored. These sites are updated as the laws change.

I have a weapon that I carry as well as a weapon that I keep in the rig for my wife, who will soon be obtaining a Florida permit as well.

Never hurts to be prepared to protect your family!

Noobie
10-25-2012, 10:39 PM
I carry concealed from the time I get out of bed till the time I get back in bed (then its reverts to my "home" gun another glock 19 with a laser and light attached)
Mine
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/26/uqazatas.jpg

Mom's
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/26/zymu7eba.jpg

AmyandPaul
10-25-2012, 10:46 PM
I have a concealed weapons permit. I carry a glock, revolver, and my favorite a 308. I am not against guns; but I thought I would never own one let alone 3....why; a few years ago that girl hiker and her dog went missing in North Georgia Mountains (the same mountains my dogs and I like to hike) they found her a few days later with her head chopped and brutally tortured. I want an even playing field, so I don't wanna hike or go anywhere without one.

MdMike
08-12-2014, 08:35 PM
So the Mrs. Has completed her CCW permit class and we are on a ten week trip out west. Utilizing my Utah and Florida permits and enjoying my freedom here versus at home! I am carrying either the XDs .45acp OWB or my M&P 9c OWB.

The Mrs. Is proudly carrying the LCP in her hip pocket!

danemayer
08-12-2014, 08:42 PM
So the Mrs. Has completed her CCW permit class and we are on a ten week trip out west. Utilizing my Utah and Florida permits and enjoying my freedom here versus at home! I am carrying either the XDs .45acp OWB or my M&P 9c OWB.

The Mrs. Is proudly carrying the LCP in her hip pocket!
If you don't have a Maryland CCW, watch out when you go home.

Jim.Allison
08-12-2014, 08:58 PM
I'm liking bear spray more and more. But in terms of firearms, I like a good shotgun. Its welcome in all 50 states in one form or another. You can even enter Canada with it. I have nothing against handguns but they are a real pain in the ARSS.
I'm a hunter and alot of times I'm hunting by myself on public land so I always have something for anyone who wants to come through my camper door uninvited. When I go camping with the DW I also make sure we have something for anyone who would want to do us harm.

MdMike
08-12-2014, 10:43 PM
Danemayer. I am well aware of the laws in Md. If you are referring to the Baltimore incident with the MDTA police, read my last comment in that thread. There was a lot more to that story.

cookie
08-13-2014, 08:35 AM
But in terms of firearms, I like a good shotgun. Its welcome in all 50 states in one form or another. You can even enter Canada with it.
I'm not so sure about that.
Because I have limited internet service at my present location I cannot research the regulation.
But I can say that I have been denied entry into Canada with a shotgun.
Of course I have also been allowed entry with the same shotgun.
Go figure.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar
08-13-2014, 10:06 AM
I'm not so sure about that.
Because I have limited internet service at my present location I cannot research the regulation.
But I can say that I have been denied entry into Canada with a shotgun.
Of course I have also been allowed entry with the same shotgun.
Go figure.

Peace
Dave

I seem to recall that to enter Canada with anything more dangerous than a butter knife, you need pre-approved permits. If they decide to search and find a firearm of any kind and you don't have the right papers, you are going to regret it.

Grey Ghost
08-13-2014, 12:12 PM
I have a CCW and have both a Ruger 9mm and a Smith & Wesson .38. The .38 clip holster fits real nice right below the steering column and the 9 fits in a special holster that fits on the side of the driver seat. I also have a shotgun in the 5ver. We camp a lot in the back country and you never know what might be next door!
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.:cool:

LannyH
10-21-2014, 02:57 PM
After getting my Illinois, Fl. and Utah CCW I carry, if you look at what is going on in our country any more it just seem to me to be the thing to do. you never know what's around the next turn Looks at what is going on in St Louis

BighornWm.
10-21-2014, 06:37 PM
Since your RV is considered your "residence" it is legally allowed to have a handgun or long gun in it in the stat of Texas. To carry it on your person you need a permit or fall under one of the "special" categories i.e. Peace Officer. To carry it on your person it must be concealed. The latest I have heard of is your motor vehicle (car, truck) is considered an extension of your residence hence no permit is needed. From experience most all of the Peace Officers I know take the attitude everyone is carrying concealed until they know otherwise. You know safety first. BTW - Isn't it our constitutional right to be able to own a weapon? It is your personal choice as to whether you carry it legally or otherwise.

As for me I carry it, and do have a Peace Officer (retired) Federal Permit.

I too, have a Federal Law Enforcement permit as well as a Fl permit. The Federal Permits requires re-certification with weapon qualified.

4100king
11-22-2014, 06:49 PM
I to have a ccw and I carry a HK compact 45 also a few shot guns and if it really gets bad I have AR15

cyclist0920
11-23-2014, 08:11 PM
Be safe buy both. :o

traveler44
12-05-2014, 07:54 PM
You can hardly walk into a gun shop around here where they don't try to sell you a 9mm or bigger. I bought a pocket gun anyway- .380 auto. I'll have mine in my pocket where ever possible. Some guy said that the big gun guys act like they all shot it out at the OK corral. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a .380 hollow point. I figure that if it is ever needed that it would be when somebody is really coming close to me anyway.

JohnDar
12-05-2014, 09:44 PM
I like my .380 in a pocket holster for those times where I can't conceal the 9mm on my belt. With 7 Critical Defense rounds in it, it will put a serious crimp in someone's day should they force me to defend my or mine's life.