Concealed carry permits

OhioJay

I don't know how many people will post up and admit they do carry, but I was just curious. Do you carry a concealed weapon in your rig?

I don't mind telling you I do. Too many crazies running around everywhere!!! I bet this will blow your mind...The last statistic I saw had over 200,000 people in Ohio registered to carry a concealed firearm!! That's alot, in my opinion. But, just think how many people are carrying illegaly, without a permit!!! I was just curious to see if it's common among RVers. No harm meant.

Bighurt

As I only own rifles its hard to carry concealed. However I have considered applying and purchasing a pistol.

The one trouble with RV's is crossing state lines the laws change, so I would ensure I was clear on on the laws in states I intend to travel into. Yes many states except other states concealed permits but that still means you have to meet their laws.

Also I don't think having a rifle or pistol in the RV counts as a concealed, its the same as having one in your home. The TV is a different story. Again this would be based on state laws...

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm no expert on concealed carry, but I beleive that Bighurt is correct in that if it is in you coach it is not considered concealed. So if you want to sleep with your 45 under your pillow, other than a headache, it should be no problem. Using it however would be a different story.
But in answer to your question, I always travel with my two friends, Smith & Wesson.

Peace
Dave

Rickhansen

Weapons that are not directly in your possession and control generally are not considered concealed weapons, nor are those that are in plain view in most cases. If they are in your coach, trunk of your car, or otherwise out of reach, they are not generally considered as being carried. Laws do differ state to state, but about 35 states reciprocate amongst themselves on CCW's. There was a very informative website called www.packing.org, but they have disappeared. There is another similar site now at www.usacarry.com that provides comparison in laws and requirements from state to state.

I have had CCW's in Michigan, North Carolina, and Florida now. Law enforcement, in my experience, support legally armed citizens wholeheartedly. They know how many "crazies" there are better than anyone else. All 4 of the CCW and personal protection courses I've attended have been taught by active law enforcement officers.

Florida offers a non-resident CCW permit that actually is recognized and reciprocates with most other states. That means a non-resident can come to Florida, get a permit, and carry in about 35 other states legally.

And yes, I have several handguns available for use in the rig, truck, and sometimes in my pocket.

jnbhobe

Golly Dave; You have the same two friends traveling with you as I do. Them guys sure do get around !!! JON

davebennington

I believe that the right to carry concealed is up to each individual. I had a CCW in North Carolina for many years and now in Virginia. I do agree having a weapon in the trailer does not and should not be considered concealed.

I do carry concealed when I feel that there may be a need or unfamiliar places/people.

I realize all this being said is at the risk of being labeled a wacko, so be it.

Dave

Cimriver

I have a concealed carry permit issued in Colorado. All of the states surrounding Colorado reciprocate, but I always check when going to other states. Having said that I generally don't carry a weapon on my person, but sometimes do. I do generally have a handgun in my truck or RV.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Since your RV is considered your "residence" it is legally allowed to have a handgun or long gun in it in the stat of Texas. To carry it on your person you need a permit or fall under one of the "special" categories i.e. Peace Officer. To carry it on your person it must be concealed. The latest I have heard of is your motor vehicle (car, truck) is considered an extension of your residence hence no permit is needed. From experience most all of the Peace Officers I know take the attitude everyone is carrying concealed until they know otherwise. You know safety first. BTW - Isn't it our constitutional right to be able to own a weapon? It is your personal choice as to whether you carry it legally or otherwise. As for me I carry it, and do have a Peace Officer (retired) Federal Permit.

OhioJay

BTW - Isn't it our constitutional right to be able to own a weapon? It is your personal choice as to whether you carry it legally or otherwise.

Actuall, I think it's legal to go anywhere with a "long gun", if it's in plain sight (federal law). You could walk right down the street in any city. Of course, people would flip out, so I don't think I would try it.

I'm surprised at the number of responses from guys who carry! I don't know why I'm surprised, but I am.

I carry, on my person, a Sprinfield Arms XD sub-compact in .40 caliber. The wife has a nice little Bersa .380.

DW_Gray

Here is an excellent website: http://www.carryconcealed.net/

Legal definition: http://definitions.uslegal.com/c/concealed-weapons/

Here is the federal law:
Federal Firearms Transportation Statute

The federal firearms transportation statute basically states that you are allowed to transport a legally owned firearm through any state as long as you meet the following requirements.

1. Your weapon is kept unloaded and stored in a separate compartment not readily accessible by either the driver or passengers.

Any ammunition is kept separate from location of firearms and is also not readily accessible by either the driver or passengers.

If there is not a separate compartment available in the vehicle then the firearm must be kept in a locked container and stored somewhere other than the glove box or console.

TITLE 18 PART I CHAPTER 44 § 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

As for the primary question, my answer is; "You don't know; do you?" And that's the way it should be. I don't want the intruder to know if I'm packing or not.

Last edited:

jbeletti

While perhaps not popular with many, I like this discussion. I may create a forum for Firearms as it relates to RVers.

I do have a Utah CCW permit. I do not currently conceal carry. Because I am in so many states each year and with the definition "concealed" so varied amongst the states, I felt it best to have a CCW permit just to be as legal as possible, even when my weapon is loaded, yet in my RV, or in a locked case.

Jim

Netem

I'm a hunter and alot of times I'm hunting by myself on public land so I always have something for anyone who wants to come through my camper door uninvited. When I go camping with the DW I also make sure we have something for anyone who would want to do us harm.

Elevatorman

Very good point with the Federal laws, but I do believe States laws do preempt federal laws almost always. I understood that a towable camper is treated just like your driving vehicle, and the transportation of firearm laws in a vehicle apply. If you have a concealed permit with reciprocity in the states you travel, then as long as you are carrying you are safe, (and legal too)! A locked up firearm with no ammo is just a thought when you need it! I have planned a mock trip including the firearm issue, and it gets very interesting and fun trying to abide by the individual state laws. Good idea Jim B. maybe we could provide links for the members so that trip planning could include the individual state and Federal laws, as well as CCW laws. Just an idea! Maybe the members who travel for competitions around the country could chime in with ideas also.

I have concealed carry permit, and always have at least my Taurus Judge with the 3" cylinder with me, except when on a federal installation. It is always loaded with 3 .45 Long Colt hollow points and 2 3" 000 buck shot loads. It is the ultimate in close in self defense. There are way too many crazies out there and I like to have a persuader close at hand.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I always have a friend along. Either Mr. Smith or Wesson, Mr. Ruger, Mr. Taurus or Mr. Sig, Someone always likes to go.........and I don't mind having them along on the trip.

jbeletti

I always have a friend along. Either Mr. Smith or Wesson, Mr. Ruger, Mr. Taurus or Mr. Sig, Someone always likes to go.........and I don't mind having them along on the trip.

I have a special fondness for Mr. Sig :) A bromance maybe :eek:

Rmcgrath53

I have a CCW from Mi. There are alot of states that honor it. 1 SW 38 is what I have with the laser grips.I keep it under the pillow when sleeping at a Walmart or overnight truck stop. It is a hammerless ,so I could shoot from the pocket of my coat. Walmart in town here is always out of ammo.
Ron

hart1369

allways have a friend with me be it mr. smith &mr wesson mr ruger or any other of their friends . while traviling things happen you may not know the area when seconds count the police are only minutes away, in some areas we are targets because of our rigs . that said i'd rather know i can help myself if needed

tmcran

I have a Texas CHL and always care in my truck. The Springfield Arms 9 MM is always loaded. Being a rancher I always have a gun with me for critters and such. When I travel outside of TX I do check to be sure I can carry in the states I'm traveling in. I carry the 9MM in the console of the truck. I carry a small 25 cal auto in a boot holster. Not much damage ---but loud