Scare light replacement update

morganm12

George
A few weeks ago I posted the question asking how to replace a fright/scare light on my 05 Grand Canyon and got a few responses. Well, I finally got past the procrastination stage (I am retired and that resembled work) and climbed the ladder. I removed the two screws securing the light assembly to the trailer, clipped the two wires feeding power to the bulb, and climbed back down to the ground with the light assembly in hand. Once back on the ground I was able to get up close and personal with the light assembly. What I learned was that there are two additional screws located in the rear of the housing holding the back secure to the lens. After removing those two screws the back detached from the lens assembly and exposed the base of the bulb. The bulb was held in place with a small screw holding the ground wire and the bulb securely in place. In doing this I found that the wires providing juice to the bulb had a screw holding the ground in place and the hot wire was connected using a snap push/pull wire connector making cutting the wire unnecessary. The bulb is a: H3 14V 35W. Now all I need to do is locate a new bulb.
I hope this is helpful for the next person with this issue on the 05 Landmarks. Those equipped with the cat eye type scare lights (they aren't very good).

P.S. By the way, It was so simple a cave man could do it.

Attachments

• LM_Scare_Light_H3_.jpg
    LM_Scare_Light_H3_.jpg
    590 KB · Views: 49
  • LM_Scare_Light_H3_.jpg
    LM_Scare_Light_H3_.jpg
    532.8 KB · Views: 46
  • LM_Scare_Light_H3_.jpg
    LM_Scare_Light_H3_.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 46
Last edited by a moderator:

jbeletti

George,

Nice write up. Thanks for posting. I helped a pal replace his a couple years back and I took pics. So I added those to your thread. This is the makings of a Wiki article if I ever saw one!

Please reply with where you found the replacement bulb and how much it cost.

Thanks,

Jim

jnbhobe

H-3 bulbs should be available at any good autoparts store or even wally world. They have been used for years in fog and driving lights. Jon

morganm12

George
Locating this bulb is proving to be a challenge. The auto parts stores that I checked have an H3 12V 55 & 100W bulbs. I have found H3 12V 35W bulbs on the internet. I'm in no hurry so I will continue my search for now. Replacing the whole light assembly may be the way to go.

P.S. Thanks to JB for the pics. That addition was great.

RollingHome

George, you have several options. One OEM of the H3 bulb you want is CEC Industries. Here is a link to their web page which has the specs for your bulb. -> http://www.cecindustries.com/user/_ProdHalogen_list.php?goto=4 You also have the option to put a 25 watt H3 in which will give you less light but last longer, it should also generate less heat which your plastic lens will like. It too is on the above link. eBay has a 35 watt H3 lamp for $3.28 + S&H. If you don't like eBay I would be glad to buy 2 for you there, have them direct shipped to your address and you can send me a check (or cash) for it, I prefer cash because it breaks one more rule the god of "NO" made (i.e. "NO" CASH shall be put in US Mail - "NO" I say "NO"). Probably be under $ 10.00 for 2 lamps. One more option is to stop at a auto parts chain store. They use these bulbs in fog & driving lights. Tom