Handloading / Reloading

davebennington

Now that we have head from a few people who have a CCW. I agree with Jim B. lets start a forum for and about firearms in addition what about a reloading section I for one would like to hear from others who do their own reloading ie what cal, powder, buillet weight.

Dave

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Re: Concealed carry permits

Now that we have head from a few people who have a CCW. I agree with Jim B. lets start a forum for and about firearms in addition what about a reloading section I for one would like to hear from others who do their own reloading ie what cal, powder, buillet weight.

Dave

I'm a reloader.........just about everything I own, I reload for.

jbeletti

Discuss Handloading / Reloading of Ammo here...

Handloading or reloading is the process of loading firearm cartridges or shotgun shells by assembling the individual components (brass/shotshell, primer, powder, and bullet/shot), rather than purchasing completely-assembled, factory-loaded cartridges. Generally only Boxer-primed cases (see internal ballistics) are reloaded.

Pulltab

I have reloaded since about 1980 although I took a vacation from it for a few years but am back in full swing now. Mainly load 45 auto, 9mm, 380 auto. .223 can be bought to cheap to mess with right now. I toss anywhere from 250-800 rounds a month downrange. Just finished a handgun shoot where we used 200 rounds. If you want to shoot you almost have to reload. Ammo is certainly more available and affordable than 6 months ago but still pricey to pay full price.

JWalker

I love to reload, Almost all the equipment I have was used by my grandfather, and then by my dad, and now me. Some of the dies have literally 1000s of cases through them. I have added some of my own equipment, but some things have not changed very much in the last 40 years. A 30-06 still gets loaded the same way as my grandfather did it. Although, back then there were not all the powder choices you have now.

I have started to reload some handgun and revolver rounds as of late. A friend of mine took me to a pistol range and I was HOOKED. First a .38, then a 9mm, then a 357......40S&W.......44mag, now I have a new toy, A .243 pistol. 14" barrel w/muzzle break. 2x6 scope. 1" groups at 100yds. Lots of fun!

Anyways, I love this stuff.

RollingHome

Guys, I have posted on other forums and I may as well ask here too. I'm looking for someone to do some custom reloads that are light, very light for a 30-06. I have an OLD Springfield 30-06 with the straight down parallel bolt. This means it is from an era when metallurgy was not up to snuff, simple put, it's got a weak action that could explode with today’s hot rounds. Hence, I need some light, light tender ammo... can anyone do what I need ? I'd like at least 20, maybe 40 rounds (maybe even 60) . In advance thanks. Tom

RollingHome

Jamie, real cool post ! I'm in PA over near Atglen Rod & Gun Club (Lancaster, PA area). Do you know about the club in NW PA that has targets at 1000 meters ? They even have a steel bull ya shoot at ! They call it ringing the bull. Atglen goes to 500 meters long gun. I shoot up to 200 meters on my property but then pull it in so I don't stray. I think it is really cool you are using your G-Dads & Dads stuff... way too cool.

davebennington

Rollinghome,

If you have a 30-06 that is older and you have any doubts about it's safety being fired I would NOT take a chance on a "light" load or any load it is not worth losing a finger, hand, arm or life. Put it on the rack take it down every now and then oil it good treasure it but don't fire it. JMHO.

Dave

RollingHome

Thanks Dave, I am getting mixed stories about this gun. One article states "the metallurgy is bad" another states "its fine as long as you don't try to put today’s off the shelf hot loads down it". It belonged to my Dad. He used it occasionally. I don't want to shoot this gun I just want to be able to 'IF' absolutely needed. With my personality, knowing I could do something is half the battle. For now I am following your sage advice.

Tom

JWalker

Some reloading manuals offer data for 30-06 loads that have a reduced recoil equivalant to a 30/30. They usually have a low level of fast burning powder. I never loaded any, but I read it in the manuals. I still don't think I would chance it. You will never enjoy shooting the rifle if you think it is going to blow apart with each shot. Maybe have it checked out by a gunsmith.

Jamie

RollingHome

Thanks Jamie, I am leary enough not to shoot it. I haven't but just can't imagine being blinded or worse. I have seen this gun all my life and always thought of it as old ironsides. When my Dad gave it to me I went out and purchased some way too hot amo. Then I started to do some research on maintenance etc. I mentioned my new toy to a co-worker and the amo I bought. He mentioned he thought he had read something about weak actions. So then I really started a web search. I have enough guns that I don't have to shoot this one, so to be on the safe side I am taking the amo back and getting some gun oil so I can do what Dave Benningham and you suggest. I'm kinda bummed out, I was really looking forward to shooting it up in the air on New Years Eve, it's a family tradition, now that the guns mine, this became my job...

Just kiddin

Uncle Rog

Research The Serial Number.........

Howdy, I do not reload but I do have an '06 that was handed down to me.
It was sporterized back in the 50's and has been shot a lot.
I would not hesitate to take it out and get some elk meat even today.
Your concerns over the metallurgy of the action are well founded, however, if you do some checking yours might be of a later manufacture and not be a problem.
A competent gun smith should be able to answer your questions.
The highly coveted Mauser style controls were rock solid on the later production guns, from what I have read.

mholt

Tom,

Is the rifle a model 1903 Springfield? If so the early serial number guns had the brittle recievers, which are not safe to shoot. The heat treating process actually made them too brittle. If it is the 03 Springfield, let me know and I will post the serial numbers known to have the brittle recievers.

Mike

RollingHome

Guys, it's an early made gun. The bolt is parallel to the gun and does not sweep back, it drops straight down. The serial numbers also indicate it is an early model. I appreciate your offer, but I'm afraid my gun is not safe to shoot. That being said, I would put a round or two out the little end if I had mild loads (hand loads) and if for some strange reason I was forced to. I'm sure you can understand and probably know what I am cryptically saying. I really am disappointed, because this was going to be my long distance gun (400+ meters). I was going to scope it out and practice. I even asked my friends if they were up to a trip to a range in Western PA that has a steel bull at 1000 meters to shoot at, it's called "ringing the bull". The fact it was my Dad's was just icing on the cake. To make matters even more melodramatic, I think my uncle carried this gun in WW I. I actually remember him telling me when I was a young boy how he was introduced to the 1903 Springfield as "New Gun" in Europe. That would put it around 1914. He told me how the soldier who issued it to him had demonstrated it by shooting at an enemy soldier at an incredible range and the guy went down, hit or hid - who knows. So with all the sentimental stuff going on I'm sure you can understand me wanting to shoot it. But, Dave Benninton's still right... oil & hang it up. I guess I just needed to hear it to bring me to my senses, thanks guys. Tom

olcoon

RollingHome,
Yeah, you might not be able to shoot it, but just think of the history of that gun! Your Uncle using it WW1, defending our country, your Dad & Uncle using to hunt with. If it could only talk, the stories it could tell! That gun deserves it's honored place on the wall to be admired, and loved.

For the reloaders out there, a great source of bullets it the bullet maker. Usually they have a second store at their plant, and sell them at a reduced price. Serria Bullets has a plant in Sedalia, Mo., it's about 1 1/2 hr. from me & I go there all the time enroute to my little piece of Heaven. I've used their bullets for years. They tell me that the ballistics aren't affected, that usually they are just off color, or some other minor defect. I've used them for several years and never had a problem, unless it's been my shooting. They also have a 300 meter underground range under the plant. They have people that do nothing but shoot all day...and get paid for it! Then some of them go home & shoot in competition! That's someone who loves their job! Almost be like the mail man who goes for a hike on his day off!

RollingHome

Thanks Olcoon sounds like you understand my feelings ! Know what else is cool, my Dad was on the USS Roper (tincan) they sank the first German U-Boat (U85) off the the East Coast of the US (off Hatteras). The weird part, USA "citizens" wanted the crew (my Dad) tried as war criminals because of BS started in the papers.... jeez, even back then the US had ... what can I say, different thinkers. Check Wilkapedia on U85 and see... "The rest of the story". Turns out the Germans were planting spies on the good ole USA via the U85... Now the best part, my Dad's still alive and he even drives, just saw him today ! He's a tough ole bird ! Man I hope I have his genes... Tally Ho.

DW_Gray

Sure, I reload too. I reload all my handguns except the .22LR and I reload my rifles. I don't reload my shotgun because I don't shoot it enough. One of the reasons I got my Cyclone is because I have all my reloading equipment in the garage. Those electric beds in the back make excellent storage lofts and work benches.

Here are some of my reload data.

Hunting load for.357 Mag handgun: 16.7 grains of H110 and 158 grain XTP bullet. (Last December I dropped a whitetail in her tracks with this load at 86 yards. My 1st with a handgun.)

For target loads in the following handguns: .357 Mag, .45 ACP and .40 S&W; 6.3 grains each of Hodgdon Universal with 158 gr., 230 gr. and 165 gr. bullets by Berry's Manufacturing respectively.

Rifle: .300 Winchester Magnum; Ammo: Nolser Brass, .308 caliber Nolser Accubond Bullet -180 grain, Federal primer GM215M, Case length: 2.610 inches, COL: 3.375 inches; Propellant: 75 grains of Alliant Reloader 22
Best 3 shot 100 yard group: .356 inches, Average: .587 inches
Velocity: 3023 feet per second (fps), SD= 4.20 fps, ES= 11 fps

Last edited:

RollingHome

86 Yards with a 357 handgun (360') , I'm impressed ! I really don't think I could hit the kill zone out that far with that gun, did you get lucky or are you that good ? Being retired miltary, maybe I'm insulting you... but with us civis, and with my experience, that's pretty darn good ! Like I said, I'm impressed, you must have a very steady hand and still good eye sight. Us ole dudes need a scope n long gun... JMO. Tom

DW_Gray

Tom, I have been doing some handgun competitions the last 3 years. My .357 is a Smith & Wesson 686-1 custom target by Bob Cogan. I have a Trijicon red dot sight installed. I was in tree stand and had a steady rest. During test after working up the reload I shot three consecutive shots in a 3 inch bulls-eye at 50 yards from bench rest, (two of which were near dead center) I felt confident. At 86 yards I held the red dot on the top of the deer's back. Although I still think there was some luck involved too.

I'll have to tell you about my 52 yard Robin Hood during a military archery competition sometime.

RollingHome

Dave, The local gun club I belong to goes up to 500 meters... That's pretty far, I think you'll agree. After 200 yards I'm mediocre, that's far in my "ole" opinion and skill level. Yet get this, there's a club 3 hours NE of here that goes out to 1,000 meters or yards, who cares at that far out... Anyway, they have a steel bull, they call it "ringing the bull" ! Wow, can you imagine getting out that far and "touching someone". Me an my ole buddies are all jacked up about trying it so we're going to take the challenge just for the fun of it. Only problem is, the gun I was going to use just
S _ _ _ (soiled) the bed so I'm now looking into a new shoot, any suggestions before I chuck my $ money down ? No, don't even suggest that 357 of yours, I may be a civie, but I ain't that dumb.