Satellite to do or no to do?

mo11

Ok, I'm looking at getting the dish with the tripod set up. I was told to drill a hole and run a separate line into my coach as I don't have a sat outlet. I do have a cable outlet though. Is this the best way to run the set up? Should I poke the hole so it's nearest where the TV is, and have it hang down the coach on the outside? Will I never be able to have sat on more than one TV?

Thanks, Mo

ChopperBill

You can use one of these lead in kits or something similar and mount it directly out side of where your TV is located. If you want to use two satellite receivers you could install one for each TV because you are going to need two cables. Here is a link that has different styles of lead ins. On edit: that flat cable would let you go right through a window and you would have to do no installation.
3041vm.jpg

wdk450

If you aren't too worried about bugs, you can crank a window and a screen and run the cable in temporarily there. Also Camping World sells a short piece of flat coax cable designed to run through narrow flat places.

LookN4Ward

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/12913-Satellite-TV-Ext-Cable-Inlet

The link doesn't work but look in the North Country Forum for an idea that will require no holes.

mo11

Thanx for all the quick responses. I purchased Wineguards new MP1 potable system. Seems to work fine except for local channels? Direct TV is supposed to be coming out Thursday to figure it out? My questions are: Are network (ABC, CBS and NBC) just something one has to do without? And does everyone find the given coordinates for your zip code completely bogus? When I was trying to set it up with the given coordinates I could not get a signal, however when I pointed it to the Southern skies I found a signal right away?

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks, Mo

Wharton

We have Direct TV and get the national channels(east and west coast as we travel the country each year). There is a monthly additional fee for this but it works great. If we want local we just use our batwing but rarely use the local channels. You need an RV waiver that Direct Tv needs to process, once you have it it is easy to switch to national stations between our stick house and the RV. Sometimes you reach a customer service rep that doesn't understand the RV waiver but in 10 years or so that has only happened twice. Just adds a bit of frustration. What we like about changing to the national stations is that you work with Direct TV as they change over and watch your stations appear. They will stay on the line with you until you make sure you have all the stations you requested.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Mo, we have DirecTV also. Love it, it's great for us. I do use the on screen zip code coordinates when setting up. Works great. The southern sky is where you need to be looking. That would be somewhere in the 144* azimuth range for NV. As far as local channels, that programing is sent to us by a localized spot beam. If you go outside that beam for your area you will not get locals. If we are going to travel for an extended period, I just call DTV and tell them I moved, give them the address of the RV park we are at and then they provide me with locals for that area. No extra fee.
HERE is a link that shows the local beams.
Hope this helps some.

Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Since we have Direct TV at our sticks and bricks we lose the local channels when traveling outside their coverage area. So what we do is use the antenna for the locals and the satellite for everything else. So far so good.

mo11

Thanks again. Cookie I found out the coordinayes I was given were wrong for my zip code. I called the Winegard folks and they set me straight. They also said I could just point it South and do it mannually. Kinda bummed about the local channels. I thought I could get to where I was going and call DTV, give them the zip I was now in and they would give me the locals, but they said no. So I will use the batwing when I can for locals and DTV for everything else. Is there a way to switch between the two without having to unplug the coax from the TV every time?

DXprowler

Ok, I'm looking at getting the dish with the tripod set up. I was told to drill a hole and run a separate line into my coach as I don't have a sat outlet. I do have a cable outlet though. Is this the best way to run the set up? Should I poke the hole so it's nearest where the TV is, and have it hang down the coach on the outside? Will I never be able to have sat on more than one TV?

Thanks, Mo

Mo... Best thing to do is get a diplexer! This will allow you to bypass the booster so you won't have to run a separate cable. The booster will block a digital signal needed for satellite reception so it needs to be bypassed. This is what I did on a previous trailer: http://www.rvhorizons.com/rvtech1.html

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Mine may work differently since mine is several years old, but to change from satellite to antenna all I have to do is turn off the satellite receiver and turn to the over the air channel I want. I leave my amplifier turned on during both. Works great.

mo11

Thanks for all the replies again. I think I'm going to install a dedicated line through the side of the TT. How hard is it to drill a hole all the way through, what are the chances of hitting something (i.e. stud, pipe etc..) I bought a lead in kit that has about 8" of coax in between the plates, can this be easily tucked in the wall?

Wharton

Years ago we bought a switcher from Winegard. Don't know if they still make it but it comes in handy. All the wires are run into it and we just push a button for what we want to use(sat,batwing,dvd,vhs,radio etc.)

RollingHome

mo11, When I was a young man and had all my hair I tried to install a device which required me to drill thru the wall... So I used my drill and 1/2" aircraft bit and went for it, I just drilled. Two days later I was still repairing the damage I did... Moral of the story, know WHAT is behind the area you THOUGHT was the best space to use. Call the HL factory and talk to someone BEFORE you "Go For It".... Learn from my mistake. :) Good Luck !