Slide plastic pieces and floor

aatauses

Hi everyone,
I thought it may be a good idea a post a few pictures of my project. I also had delamination on the sides of the slides---HL and Parkland sent me kits to fix the issue--however not much for directions---but with a few phone calls I was set to go. The flat pieces needed to go under the slide which involved jacking up the slide an inch or so and sliding the flat piece under the slide---and the angle was to go on under the slide molding---easy enough?? Which goes first??? After some thought I decided to put the flat pieces on first and the angles on top--that way there would be no water trapped. I aligned the flats with the edge of the slide plywood, jacked up the slide and glued them in place, next I unsrewed the slide molding, put glue on the angles and slid them under the slide molding and flat to the floor and flat pieces. I did this to 2 slides and the kitchen slide had the flats aligned with the rolls leaving about a 1.5" gap between the edge of the angle piece and the flat pieces, however no water issues.
Everything is working fine and no issues with carpet and the water is funning off as it should. HOWEVER if I was going to do this again I would put the angles on first and then butt the flats up to the edge of the angle--that way your slides "run" on the flat pieces and not the angles as mine do.
al

Attachments

• Copy (1) of 003..JPG
    Copy (1) of 003..JPG
    603.2 KB · Views: 228
  • Copy (1) of 005..jpg
    Copy (1) of 005..jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 230
  • Copy (1) of 004..JPG
    Copy (1) of 004..JPG
    578.7 KB · Views: 225
  • Copy (3) of 002..JPG
    Copy (3) of 002..JPG
    491.9 KB · Views: 213

tmcran

HL is sending me some angle material for some delamination as well. I had put the flats on a few months ago due to the flaking of the black material off the bottom. I will have to put the angle piece over the flat. HL told me to use butyl tape and then caulk along the top.

aatauses

You will end up the same as I did mine and should not have any problems. I used the caulk that came with the flats and you should have enough room to slide the angle under the slide molding and makes a really good fit
al

tmcran

You will end up the same as I did mine and should not have any problems. I used the caulk that came with the flats and you should have enough room to slide the angle under the slide molding and makes a really good fit
al

I got the angle pieces today. When I talked with HL I understood them to say remove the original trim and replace with the angles using butyl tape on the angles and use a good caulk on the top. Looks as if you slid the angles under the original trim . Did you have to drill additional holes in the angles or side of the slide?

boatdoc

Are these something that Heartland uses to retrofit the earlier models so as not to have water probems with the slide floor and the black flaking off from rubbing on the rollers and if it is, is it on US earlier owners dime or their's. With our '09 we just missed having these upgrades.
Thanks

DXprowler

Hey Al, tnx for posting the pics and for the past emails! I haven't received all the parts from Heartland as yet (long story) but they're on the way. I will use your advice and will butt the flats up against the angles. I am very pleased Heartland has come up with a fix for this issue! I'm sure other manufactures would have turned their backs in it! I know they're not happy with Parkland and it's claim of 100% water proof plywood! Almost like being sold swampland in FL!!

tmcran

Are these something that Heartland uses to retrofit the earlier models so as not to have water probems with the slide floor and the black flaking off from rubbing on the rollers and if it is, is it on US earlier owners dime or their's. With our '09 we just missed having these upgrades.
Thanks

I am a couple of month's out of warranty. I had the black flat pieces put on during warranty ( where the bottoms of the slides flake off). I have recently noticed over the last several weeks some delamination on the wood part of the slides. I called HL and they offed to send me the angles at no cost. However, installation, labor ,butyl tape and caulk were on me.That was fine and I really appreciate HL providing this item to me- not sure other manufacturers would do this.

lhetsler

Can we order these plastic strip from Heatland, I have an 08 Bighorn and very slight flaking, but would like to fix it before it gets worse. I am willing to pay for them, just need the info.

Last edited:

jnbhobe

Can we order these plastic strip from Heatland, I have an 08 Bighorn and very slight flaking, buy would like to fix it before it gets worse. I am willing to pay for them, just need the info.

I ordered them today, I hope I got the right thing. I'll let you know, costs about $51 delivered with the club discount.

cjbearden

Visitor
FYI for those who still get some black marks on carpet from their slides - use Mr. Clean Eraser!!! Works wonders to remove the black from the carpet.

Thanks to original poster for the pics and excellent installation explanations. RV Capital in Elkhart installed the kits on our doorside slide last year; however, the butyl tape is stringing off at the edges and we are still getting a lot of black marks. C.J.

DXprowler

Al.... Question about the plastic stripes install. How far do they go? I'm figuring up to the start of the tapered edge. Wouldn't want to go past that otherwise the slide wouldn't sit right when extended. Just looking for confirmation!

aatauses

Yes, I did slide mine under the existing side molding---I used the existing holes and screws in the side molding---I did lightly drill into the hole to puncture the plastic to ensure the screws would go in straight, but did not drill new holes.
al

aatauses

dxprowler---The flat pieces go up under the slide (have to jack up the slide an inch or so) and yes they do go under the beveled edge. The angles I just put in to near the beveled edge, did not go under the beveled edge.
al

DXprowler

dxprowler---The flat pieces go up under the slide (have to jack up the slide an inch or so) and yes they do go under the beveled edge. The angles I just put in to near the beveled edge, did not go under the beveled edge.
al

Tnx Al.. should be getting the rest of the parts shortly and will let you know how it goes!

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
al

Mark wants to know how you jacked up the slides. If he doesn't get this done before the OR rally, you might have to show him. lol

Thanks,
Kristy

aatauses

Kristy,
I did not take any pictures of the jacking process for the slides----We were in FL when I did this and at our storage unit so I had access to my 'high lift' jack, but you could use a bottle jack would just need extra blocking.
I put a 2x4( about 20") on the slide edge, but far enough in that you can put the flats on, and slowly jacked up the slide about an inch, just enough to slide the flats under the bevel. I then made any cuts I needed to do to avoid the electric cables and some had to be cut for length. They I pulled off the 'tape' and put lots of caulking and put them on the underside of the slide---My wife helped with all this and I would suggest 2 people to get everything lined up properly.
Will be glad to help you at the rally.
al

boatdoc

Mark wants to know how you jacked up the slides. If he doesn't get this done before the OR rally, you might have to show him. lol

Thanks,
Kristy

Kristy, I guess we'll have a slide party at the rally and all of us get this mod done!! Is this going to be right after the suspension folks redo all our springs and hangers?
See ya tomorrow, Gary

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Sounds like a plan!

I don't know that Henderson's plans to replace anything at the rally, but you might try talking him into a service call.
Kristy