Rust on pin

tmcran

I was checking out the pin box and hitch. I noticed a good deal of rust on the flat area above and around the pin. (The part that sets on the silicone lube plate) The black paint is chipping off. There is also some metal wear on the back-side of the pin and on the bar that closes behind the pin on the hitch. .

I sanded and scraped the rust off. I need to repaint. I have primed the area. Any recommendations as to paint? I'm think something like epoxy.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
You might try some 3M paintable undercoating in a rattle can. You do have to put some paint on the primer 1st. The stuff dries pretty hard and like it says...its paintable.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
When I added the tri-glide jaw to my trail air, I sanded, scraped and used a grinder on all of the edges of the pin to remove the sharp edges/corners. Paint won't adhere to a sharp edge. I used Dupont automotive primer in a can from Auto Zone and Rustoleum black spray paint. It's been almost a year and it still looks good. Here is my original thread. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/10622-Trail-Air-Tri-Glide-Retro/page4?highlight=tri+glide