new tires on TV

Ricoh

Past Ontario Chapter Leader
I just put 4 new Michelin LTX tires on my 05 Silverado 2500 HD. I replaced the original Bridgestones as they were starting to crack from old age and the wear bars were getting close on the rears. I went to my Chevy dealer and asked the service manager if I could go to 265 instead of 245 and he said it would not do any damage but the ABS and speedo were calibrated for 245. The big thing he said was that my fuel mileage would really go down the tubes so I stayed with 245. I like em so far. Pick up my 3055 on Friday so we will see then.

Rick

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I just put 4 new Michelin LTX tires on my 05 Silverado 2500 HD. I replaced the original Bridgestones as they were starting to crack from old age and the wear bars were getting close on the rears. I went to my Chevy dealer and asked the service manager if I could go to 265 instead of 245 and he said it would not do any damage but the ABS and speedo were calibrated for 245. The big thing he said was that my fuel mileage would really go down the tubes so I stayed with 245. I like em so far. Pick up my 3055 on Friday so we will see then.

Rick
Your dealer gave you good information. Going with a taller tire also changes the "final drive ratio" and your engine will be turning a bit slower at all speed ranges. This isn't great for towing heavy loads.