installed Firestone bags

Ricoh

Past Ontario Chapter Leader
I spent Sunday afternoon on my back in my laneway installing a set of Firestone Airbags on my 05 Silverado 2500 HD. Kit came complete, no missing parts, instructions are very good but READ THE WHOLE THING BEFORE putting them together. Quality of hardware could be improved but all in all a fairly easy install.

Rick

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Glad to hear that. I am going to do the same thing soon on my truck. Did you get the compressor kit or just the air bags?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Cool, I installed mine about three years ago. You will like them. I run about 36 to 38 PSI while towing, and about 6 when not towing. You will have to experiment with what will give you the best ride for your rig.

Peace
Dave

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
Just took the jouncers off and am ready to install mine, they are assembled and ready to go if it stops raining. i am not putting the compressor on at this time though i might later.
mine are on a 2008 2500hd silverado DA. Looks easy so far, glad to hear you thought it was

jddugan

I also installed the Firestone Ride-rite airbags with an Airlift compressor this last weekend. The instructions were wrong in one section for the bottom brackets, but easily corrected. The biggest problem was trying to find an area under the dash for the gauge/switch bracket in a 2010 F350. Nowhere pleased me so I mounted it behind the rear fold-down seat back along with the compressor, which is actually very easy to access. Yes, i know i won't be able to adjust while driving, but I can live with that. The install is weatherproof, hidden, and works perfectly. I put 50# of air in to leak test, and it raised the rear of the truck 1-3/4". The Bighorn comes out of storage this weekend, we'll see how it works.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Cool, I installed mine about three years ago. You will like them. I run about 36 to 38 PSI while towing, and about 6 when not towing. You will have to experiment with what will give you the best ride for your rig.

Peace
Dave

Hey Dave,
Is that 36-38 PSI before you hookup or after? Just curious.

Netem

I run 25 lbs before hook up on mine but have alot less pin weight than Cookie. I do think it rides alittle rougher when empty even when I lower the bags to 5 psi.

beasleyrl

I just had them installed about 2 weeks ago. Took them on a trip to Hilton Head (500 miles each way) last week and wow, what a difference!!! It is interesting though, I ended up running with about 85 pounds of pressure in them. Between these and the Hensley Trailersaver hitch, I actually could hardly feel the really bad roads in NC and SC!

porthole

Retired
I know it isn't exactly cheap, but the wireless upgrade is an option that once you have it you will use it and enjoy it.
For me the benefit begins as soon as I hook up. I can raise or lower the truck a few inches while waiting for the landing gear to move. And once hooked up I dump all the air to get get some ground clearance when pulling out of my driveway. With the air dumped, my spare tire just hits the driveway. Once out in the street a push of a button and I am up to traveling pressure. That is preset at 75 psi but I tend to vary it depending on how the trailer is loaded and the road conditions.
I'll try and post some pics later today.

LilGTO71

Just to add to the mix, it took about an hour and a half to install mine (with no compressor, but thats coming). I run about 6 unloaded, and close to 40 loaded with fifth wheel. When I load my 3 horse trailer, (bumper pull), I put about 25 in. Those bags are great and really settle out the ride. Well worth the time to install.

WilmanJim

We had the Firestone Air Bags installed on our F350 in Santee, CA. just before we left 10 days ago and they really paid for themselves when we hit San Antonio. Especially the 1604 around. WHEW, I think we went Airborn a few times. We are setting in Picayune, MS. right now and have to say, and the wife agrees, the best investment we have made. Between the Airbags and the Airsafe hitch they both got a good workout.

Jim

ihsolutions

I installed the airbags with compressor about a week ago on my '03 2500HD. I have yet to tow the BH as it's still in the shop. From 5lbs to 90lbs empty, it raises my truck 3.5". Riding empty at 20lbs it seems smoother than stock.

The job took me about 7 hours total. I mounted the compressor up above the spare tire. I had no room under the hood (diesel). Mounting the compressor in the rear of the vehicle is extra work because you are running more air line this way, and have to extend the power cable. But I'm happy with the way it turned out.

PS anyone know where to hook up the lights for the system gauge? They just tell you to hook it up to the headlight circuit, but who the $#^ knows where that is? And the wire is only a few inches long.

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
I installed my air bags last weekend without compressor and took about 2 hrs total. only towed about 2 miles but am going out this weekend about 200 miles and should get a good feeling for them. Drove my 08 2500 DA at 15 lbs without 5th wheel and agree it seemed to ride better than stock and take out that empty pickup bounce. compressor still may be coming.