Must Watch-Tire Video

RollingHome

Thanks for sharing Wharton, I too have been driving for over 40 years and this is new info to me. I hope I never have a blow out, but if I do at least now I am better prepared thanks to you and Michlin.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
That is a great video. I have seen it before some time ago. It is interesting that you do the opposite from what you would normally do.

BC

Peteandsharon

That video was very informative and well done. My only question is whether the dynamics remain the same when the blowout is on a towed vehicle like a fifth wheel or travel trailer. If the fifth wheel blows out on the right side then the back of the fifth wheel will try to pull right. With the trailer attached to the tow vehicle at the hitch and the hitch acting as a pivot point, does it have the same overall effect??? I dunno. Probably it does but I would have liked to have seen the same tests done with the scenario that most of us are familiar with.

Wharton

I hope everyone on the forum views this.

Regarding doing the opposite of what you would normally do I guess I would look at it as if you were in a skid on snow, you do the opposite there also. Question is if we will remember to do this if we ever have a front wheel blow out.

Regarding the blowout on the trailer, I wouldn't think the drag would be there(maybe a little), you always have the other tire to take up some of the weight and dampen the affect.

lwmcguir

We have blown or lost tread on many rear trailer tires over the years. This was prior to upgrading everything to 14 ply. Usually never knew it until it was to late and after seeing, smelling, or hearing the damage. Never an issue as to control, just where to get off the road to safely change the tire. Now it is an issue as to where to jack. I still jack under the U-bolts as to me it is the safest place.

RollingHome

lwmcguir, I don't have the experience you do. Quite frankly, I'm a little weirded out and scared over having a blowout towing my rig. You said, you've had several... I hope I never have one ! How do you know or what should I expect on a blowout towing my 5er ? I purchased a AAA RV towing "Gold PKG" to bail me out when all else fails. I looked under my rig and I cannot see why I can't jack on the axle... but everyone on the forum says I'll die if I do this. What's the real poop I think I can. Have you, would you ? In advance Thanks. Tom PS also, do you have a first name ?

geeman

Great info I am really glad I watched it before experiencing a blow out. I think if one of the tires on the tow vehicle would have blown my instinct would have been to mash the brakes. I am sharing this with all my RV buddies!

Wharton

You don't know when you are going to have a blow out. You can protect against it as best you can with good tires(we use G614) and a TPMS system and changing the tires before they are too old. Our blow outs were years ago on our truck and trailer. Truck did not have proper tires on for carrying the weight of the trailer(came from mfg that way, even thought truck was configured for heavy towing), the tires had too much flex and blew off a tread at 65 miles an hour. Trailer did not have on G614 but Marathons(15 years ago). Since we have upgraded everything to LT tires and never had a problem since. We also have a TPMS which gives us peace of mind.

We have also changed the tires on the trailer on the road. Make sure you have a hydraulic jack for the weight..................

Wmnmy

Great video I am glad I watched it and hope I don't experience a blow out but nice to know riding it out is better than fighting gravity

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
What a great teaching tool which I hope everyone watches. Thanks for sharing.