Wheel Bearings

busted2341

This just in....I find it hard to believe that after only about 4500 mi on my 3055 that I am told that the wheel bearing grease is in such a state that it needs to be replaced. Now I know the dealer and have bought three others from them and they have NEVER tried to do nor have they ever done work that I realized I did not need, but come on...either the bearings were fitted with dirty grease or these axels need to be replaced. Anyone else had a bearing problem?:mad:

ChopperBill

Find that VERY hard to believe! Don't you have zerks on the hubs so you can give 'em a shot now and then anyway?

busted2341

Yes I do and I DO. I agree. The dealer has never steered me wrong but I just could not believe that after only 4000 miles that I need to re-pack the bearings. I plan on calling the factory since it is already in the shop.

svd

I thought one of the big benefits of the zerk setup is that you can pump in new grease to purge out the old. You can watch for this as it comes out around the bearing, although it may be better to remove, clean, and repack the bearings. Was it that you didn't have enough grease, or that it was discolored? Let us know how this turns out.

Wild Wind

Wheel bearing maintenance

Personally, I really don't like the zirk grease fittings in the caps. I like the old way of hand packing and personally inspecting the bearings.
You are wrong about watching or wanting the grease to squirt out, it opens and deforms the rubber seals and helps let dirt and moisture in. When greasing ball joints and tie rod joints, you should put enough grease in until the rubber seal swells up. By pumping grease into the wheel bering cap, how does anyone really know whats going on. Like- (1) did, I put enough grease in; (2) did, I put too much grease in and wreck the seal causing a pile of grease to get on the drum & brakes; (3) as your mechanic found, is the grease in there bad & can I push the good grease to the bearings with out blowing the seal. Also, I would never use a power grease gun, only a hand gun to pump grease into the hubs.
As alot of Rv'ers, boaters, & horse trailer people go by the believe of, out of sight-out of mind, and then wonder why they have axeles twist off, blowouts, dead batteries, etc,etc.
You dealership must have some good caring mechanics, your lucky. I hope they are going to replace the bearings and seals. Read my post on my brakes and my son's Sunny Brook' wheel bearings.

svd

My info comes from the axle manual. The grease is supposed to come out around the outer bearing. If you look at the cross section of the axle, you will see what I mean. I do also agree, that it is prudent to clean and inspect the bearings, but not after 4500 miles.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
SVD,
Thanks for the link. I do not think I had a manual to begin with. Very nice.

Mark

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
fireflipper

I have to make a point here. Yes you should see a little grease come out the front bearing, but remember that the grease fitting feeds a hole in the center of the axle in order to grease the rear bearing also. This being said if you are forcing alot of grease out the front them it is going out the back also, thus past the rear seal. As for when and how often to repack the beatings, it is more of a time concern than miles. If the unit is being driven than the grease is being spun around and in circulation. If the unit is just sitting it is harder than traveling, because the grease will start to get hard. I repack the bearings at least once a year, usually prior to the start of the camping season.

chiliS

We have a 3055RL with 1500 miles on it. The wheel hub disentigrated and the wheel came off. The wheel tore up the side of the trailer. We were told by the shop that the hub had no grease in it.We were in Kailspell Montana 1300 miles from home.
I don't know what will be done as we just arrived home and took the unit to the dealer yesterday.

Maud:(

busted2341

I have left a call with Jim in the warranty department. If the dealer thinks they need to be repacked because of dirt or lack of grease then I would expect they (Heartland) would cover it. I have placed a call and am waiting a reply. Will let all know what I am told. I certainly do not want a hub to come off or a bearing to freeze, had that happen before on a boat trailer. Don't want that experiance again...

jbeletti

Hi Frank,

Hope this works out to your satisfaction. I saw this post duplicated over at the Bighorn Ask The Factory (ATF) forum. Since it was not a question, I soft deleted it there as a duplicate post with no question. If you meant to ask a question of the factory in the open for an open response, please post again in the Bighorn ATF forum with a specific questions.

Thank you for your understanding,

Jim

Wild Wind

Laser Heat Gun

As dieselengineer suggested in a posts about tires, it pays to check tires and bearings with a Laser Tempature Heat Gun. I have found alot of other uses for the sensor, and for $50.00, it iis well worth it.

busted2341

Hi Jim,

I did copy it there Scott to see just in case Jim did not call me back. I just received a call from Jim and he is looking into what I was told by the dealer. Will keep all involved.

busted2341

Jim,

Just to let you know. Heartland covered the bearing repack. All is well in the bearing area for now. Dealer had it for two months and half the complaints, cabnets warping, table extension not working still not done. Had to get it tho. Heading to LA this weekend.

C

Chulinw

I never got a owners manual about the axels and how can I get one.

Tom of Ypsi

You should contact your dealer and see if they can help. On my coach allcame in all of the manuals came in one big package. If they cannot help contact the factory and they should be able to help.