BH 3055 Tires

Peteandsharon

I've gone two seasons on Unicorn tires on my BH 3055. Since we will be travelling down into Oklahoma and Texas this summer I'm giving some consideration to making the tire swap to something that is going to give me more peace of mind. I've read about Maxxis, Goodyear G614 and Michelin and they all sound good. But what I'm trying to find is some information from those of you that have upgraded the tires specifically on the BH 3055RL. What rated tires did you get? Which one did you go with? And if you don't mind, what ballpark price did you pay for them installed? I looked online at the G614 and if I'm looking at the correct tire for my rig, they were talking over $1000 installed for 4. Does that sound right?

Thanks in advance,
Pete

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Pete, I do not have a 3055, but know others that do. They have upgraded to the G-614's. I just replaced the Unicorns on my rig with the G-614's.
The grand you talked about for the G-614's sounds about right. I paid, including tax, out the door 1400 for five of em.
IMO they are a great tire. 27 #'s heavier than the Unicorns.
Nothing wrong with the others you mentioned.

Peace
Dave

DickO

Pete We ordered the LT 235/85 R16G from the factory on our 3055. Wanted LT and G rated tire. We are way under the GVWR. Good luck.

Peteandsharon

Thanks guys. I would assume that the OEM Unicorn is an E rated tire? I am not near my rig so can't check. Is it fairly common to go to a G? Is there a cost differential?

Thanks again,

jwb187

I changed my tires from Mission which came on my 2008 Big Horn 3055RL. I ran them for two years with minimal problems, but thought I may be pressing my luck so I changed to Maxxis last fall. They were the same size tire as the Mission but when I put them on the 5'ver they appeared to be a little larger as there was less spacing between the tires. These Maxxis tires are specifically designed for trailers, I believe an ST tire. I would go look for sure but would have to take the covers off and boy is it hot this afternoon here in southern Missouri, 84 degrees right now. I have a friend who also has a 3055rl and is a tire dealer. He purchased them for us and I believe I paid around 125 per tire mounted and balanced. He also had a hard time finding them from his wholesaler so there must not be many of them around.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I changed my tires from Mission which came on my 2008 Big Horn 3055RL. I ran them for two years with minimal problems, but thought I may be pressing my luck so I changed to Maxxis last fall. They were the same size tire as the Mission but when I put them on the 5'ver they appeared to be a little larger as there was less spacing between the tires. These Maxxis tires are specifically designed for trailers, I believe an ST tire. I would go look for sure but would have to take the covers off and boy is it hot this afternoon here in southern Missouri, 84 degrees right now. I have a friend who also has a 3055rl and is a tire dealer. He purchased them for us and I believe I paid around 125 per tire mounted and balanced. He also had a hard time finding them from his wholesaler so there must not be many of them around.

You got a deal at $125 for sure. I looked around for a months and paid $168 mounted and balance out the door.

vangoes

I ran my OEM Karrier Loadstars for 15,000 miles on my 3055rl. I replaced them due to some cracking between the sidewall and tread cap; however, my tire guy basically said that it was not serious. Nevertheless, I replaced them with E rated Maxxis for $600 mounted, taxes......out the door. To upgrade to Goodyear 614's it was going to cost approx. $1300 out the door for 4 tires. The tire dealer basically said that if you do not need the load capacity of the G tires (meaning overloading your rig) why pay that much for the capacity you do not need!. If you are going to overload your rig, you probably have more components than your tires to worry about. It all made sense to me!

Last edited:

Peteandsharon

Van,

When you got the Maxxis tires was it the M8008 ST tire? Just like you I looked at the Goodyear G614 but for the amount of towing that I do within a year, I have a hard time cost justifying that much money. Even the Goodyear Marathon would cost me around $1000 out the door. So.... I looked at this particular Maxxis tire and while I can't get the deal you got, they want about $150 per tire before installation. Unfortunately my closest Maxxis dealer is about 55 miles away in the Chicago suburbs (Orland Park). I have no great desire to pull the BH into the city and try to maneuver it around this tire dealer so what I'll probably do is just go buy the tires from him and then let my RV dealer install them Not the best scenario but probably the best available. At any rate, I just wanted to know if this is the tire that you got and also how did the size compare to what you had on there?

Thanks Van,
Pete

vangoes

Pete,
Yes, the Maxxis tires I bought was the M8008's. Ironically, the tire dealer I bought them from is a Goodyear tire dealer/store. He had to order the Maxxis tires as he did not carry them in stock and he did say that he sometimes goes through periods that he cannot get them. What was really surprising to me was that he did not promote the 614's because of the cost and he did not even want to discuss the Marathons.......just a head nod when I said that I had only heard bad things about them. BTW, the guy I was talking to was the owner/partner of the Goodyear franchise/store. He really gained my respect! As far as the size, I believe they are pretty much identical as the Karrier's.

jnbhobe

Don't be afraid to look at any good LT-235-85-16 LR-E tire they will carry 3042 lbs at 80 psi.

Clark

I ran my origional Mission "E" tires for two years, then at about 7000 miles one of the tires delaminated on my during a trip. I read up on the tires and listened to the forum members on line here, then decided to go with the Goodyear G614 for all five tires. They seemed to be the best of the tires and I decided that I wanted the best (hope that they really are). Cost was $1275 mounted and balanced for all five. Good luck on your decision.
Clark

ct0218

I just bought 4 G614 online, delivered price was $975, plus $60 for a local tire store to mount and balance. I couldn't find a local price anywhere close to this. These were fresh too, 3 week of March 2010 date code. I did the install on the coach, no room to maneuver the coach at the store. You can PM me if you need the dealer info.

Peteandsharon

OK, so I can get either the Maxxis tires or the Goodyear Marathon tires for pretty much the same price - $600 for the tires only - without installation. If I decide to go ahead with this, those are the likely suspects.

Now, Van, you spoke of the Marathon's bad reputation. This is news to me. Most of what you read on this forum is good for the Marathon - at least that's what I have seen. My dealer whom I know very well swears by them. So, could you give me an idea what the issue is with them? Anyone else have a bad impression of the Goodyear Marathon?

Thanks,

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
OK, so I can get either the Maxxis tires or the Goodyear Marathon tires for pretty much the same price - $600 for the tires only - without installation. If I decide to go ahead with this, those are the likely suspects.

Now, Van, you spoke of the Marathon's bad reputation. This is news to me. Most of what you read on this forum is good for the Marathon - at least that's what I have seen. My dealer whom I know very well swears by them. So, could you give me an idea what the issue is with them? Anyone else have a bad impression of the Goodyear Marathon?

Thanks,
Your dealer wants to make a sale. Search the web on the Marathon's....I've seen them fail in person too many times. The GY G614 is 5 times better.

caissiel

On my previous trailer I had so many problems with trailer tires, including marathons that I installed LT tires of less capacities and had great service. The problem with trailer tires is that they have less thread dept and get damaged easily on the road. I kept blowing the rear tires.

I just love my Freestar tires because they are truck tires rather then trailer tires.

TireHobby

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired

Thanks,

I think the best way to answer the Marthon tire question is to just Google- Goodyear Marathon Tire Problems. I think once you see all the pages, read a few they are not rated very well. I was wanting to look at the Maxxis tires but to hard to find and a six hour drive to the closest dealer that carried them was a bit much. I think just to much trouble finding them and on the road trying to replace one would be something else.

Rmcgrath53

I can tell you I had Marathons thaT FAILED . I now have LT truck tires The china bombs almost bombed me. They all had delamination going on
They had about 5-7,000 miles on them. I thought I would keep an Eye on them and sure enough they all failed!!!

vangoes

Thanks,

The comments you have just read is pretty much the same tone I have seen on other forums.