Tires for 3670RL

sdagro

We are about a week away from making the decision on the 2011 3670. I am about to request they put some American Made tires in place of the Salum LT 4 Ply tires. Any recommendations?

RollingHome

I purchased a 2011 3670 in Nov 2009. I'm not sure about the quality of the tires that came with my unit (they are made in China)... If you can get the dealer to get USA made tires, good for you ! if not, take what you can get and change them out later :) I hear a lot about tires on this forum but... at 60 grand, tires ain't a big deal, so get ur best deal and keep moving. By the way, welcome and please by all means compliment us by offeriong your inteligence and knowledge, as a team we win ! WELCOME ! TOM

Wharton

If you are planning to order a BH 3670 the GY G614 are an option.............We went with them. Have had them on previous trailers for years and never a problem....................

jbeletti

We are about a week away from making the decision on the 2011 3670. I am about to request they put some American Made tires in place of the Salum LT 4 Ply tires. Any recommendations?

Call your dealer and ask them to add the upgrade to Goodyear G614 RST tires on your order. Unsure of the cost difference but it's much less than swapping them out later.

Are all Goodyear G614 RST tires made in the US? I don't know about that. Fewer and fewer tires seemed to be made here. Regardless of country of origin, I've had G614s on 3 units now - love em!

Jim

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Are all Goodyear G614 RST tires made in the US? I don't know about that. Fewer and fewer tires seemed to be made here. Regardless of country of origin, I've had G614s on 3 units now - love em!

Jim

When I bought my tires last month, I asked about being made in the U.S. I was told that there is no guaranty on that. Reason being, if GY needs, say 1,000 G-614's right now, and the U.S. plant in in the process of making another model tire, they will just produce them in another plant. Could be China, or any other place where Goodyear make tires.
I guess I have to beleive him seeing as how he used to work for Goodyear and has over 30 years in the buisness.

Peace
Dave

jbeletti

That's good input Dave - thanks for that. Except for a rocky couple month period a few years back, most stories I have read about G614s have been very positive. So regardless of the country of manufacture, seems Goodyear has a decent handle on the quality of the product.

Jim

skyguy

Heartland upgraded our 3670 to the G614's prior to delivery, per my request through our dealer. The cost wasn't significant and worth every cent in better peace of mind!

Riverman

If it is not a huge cost difference, would it not make sense to have Goodyears or Michelins as standard equipment on all Heartland trailers. What is reputation & piece of mind worth?

jbeletti

Gary,

It's a great idea but impractical from a supply perspective. There simply is not enough of these tires produced to supply every RV with a set.

ChopperBill

My option list shows the GY tire a $495 option on the 7000# axles. And $995 option for the 7000# axles with GY tires over the 6000# axles. Both excellent values per my opinion.

Riverman

I does not need to be every RV - just the good ones!;)
Too bad they were never offered on our order sheet.

RollingHome

Jim B., I agree with Gary (Riverman) and it's an opportunity for HL to earn a few more $. IF HL would offer ALL the extra's we buyers would often opt for the upgrade "IF" we knew we could ! I did not know there is a problem with the China bombs, now I do. If I was offered an opportunity to buy a higher quality tire at a few more $ I would have gone that route. Jim, I would have done this even IF I did not know the China bombs may be bombastic ! At my age... wisdom rules. Know what, many of your BH customers are my age ! Us old farts, just are that way :) so why not ask home base to come up with a list that states ALL the options we can get, for extra $. If you're out of stock, just say so. At our age, we're too melancholy to gripe. Just my opinion (JMO) Besides Jim, just think of all the bragging rights your performance review would be...um better.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>

skyguy

Sometimes, all you have to do is ask! The worst they can say is "No." This is one of the real values of this forum. I found the forum before we made our purchase. The forum is also one of the reasons we bought a Bighorn. And because of the remarks on the forum regarding the "China bombs", I asked my dealer if we could upgrade, and how much.

RollingHome

Al, I didn't know about the forum until after I bought the 3670. I don't know if I would have used it if I did know. Maybe you did a better job at research then I did, I am humbled every day, many are smarter then I. I assumed the tires were going to be fine and they may be. Hindsight is 50/50 and looking back I should have, could have but didn't. HL is not the only company that does this type thing. Many major corporations do not clearly list ALL the options as standard practice, auto, boat & plane to a potential buyer. It may be because they are so close to their business and know it so well they over look an opportunity to "inexpensively" fatten the bottom line. It may be for reasons I am not aware of... like scaring people away or overwhelming them. By Jim's position title (Director of Owner's Interest) with HL he has his finger on the owner's pulse. He always has a helpful suggestion for us... it's a 2-way street. I was making a suggestion for HL through Jim. I want HL to be $ strong, thrive and grow. I want the $ value of my unit to stay strong too. It's a win/win for us all.

I was joking about his performance review, at our place - 1 Awh shoot wipes out 100 atta boys.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>

jagiv

After reading about tire concerns on this forum I spoke to our dealer about making a tire change on our order for a 2011 North Country 29RLS. He checked with HL and, although they are offering Goodyears as an option on some or all 2011 FW's, they are not doing so with the TT's, at least not, yet.

Our dealer suggested that we order the NC without the spare and then he would come up with five new GY's and five new rims and swap out the "china bombs" and rims when the unit arrives. Sounded like a good approach to me and my net cost will be $675 plus a $12 New York State tire charge. I am pleased with the dealer service [Oliver's Campers in Norwich, NY] and with the price. It is a win-win as far as I am concerned.:D

I would suggest that if you have tire concerns on a new order, talk to your dealer.

Uncle Rog

Upgrade Tires.........3670 RL.

We had two flats / blowouts with the China Bombs.
When the GY's were being changed out the difference was obvious.
The tires were noticable heavier and the side walls were considerably thicker.
We also have a TPMS that gives you a lot of confidence going down the road.
I never felt either failure, just noticed the smoke and flames in the RV mirrior!
Most of our trailering is in the Mojave areas and road conditions can be marginal at best.
I am still perfecting my tire change program, so far 6x14 blocks and or airbags have been the most viable.
Hauling a 100# floor jack doesn't make sense, and AAA USUALY is available, if am 50/50 so far.
Get the best tires you can.

bar20

If it is not a huge cost difference, would it not make sense to have Goodyears or Michelins as standard equipment on all Heartland trailers. What is reputation & piece of mind worth?

I totally agree. When it comes to safety what kind of price do you put on it? I am looking at another brand of trailer, a smaller company than Heartland. In there brochure they say all their trailers and 5th wheels come with Goodyear tires. Granted there are a lot of people out there that don't even know that many MFG's. use Chinese tires to save on cost. Guess who a customer that had a blow out and got injured is going to go after because an inferrior tire was put on at the factory. Not some company in China but a company in Indiana! The only thing between your trailer and the pavement is the tire!

jimtoo

Many of the Goodyear tires are made in China. Just because it says Goodyear does not mean "Made in USA".

bar20

Many of the Goodyear tires are made in China. Just because it says Goodyear does not mean "Made in USA".

There are tires made in China from indepenedent Chinese manufactures and there are tires made in China by companies such as Goodyear that control the quality of the tire. Just because the tire is made in China doesn't make it bad. Goodyear controls the manufacturing process of their tires made overseas. However I have no idea what goes into a no name Chinese tire and that's why I don't want them on my trailer.

Steve

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Just curious, has anyone ever seen a tire with the Goodyear name on it that also says "Made in China"? I have not and that is why I am asking.