HDMI out from DVD/Receiver?

bhoth

Hi all,

the Jensen unit that comes with all the Cyclone units, does it have an HDMI out? When I was walking through a 3612 the other day, I pulled the TV out a little to look and it was connected via AV RCA connection.

Seems a bit silly that all the manufacturers are including an HD tv but then give you the lowest resolution output to it. (AV RCA jack 480i)

Has anyone upgraded their receiver to one that has HDMI out if it is not included?

Thanks

Bighurt

Hi all,

the Jensen unit that comes with all the Cyclone units, does it have an HDMI out? When I was walking through a 3612 the other day, I pulled the TV out a little to look and it was connected via AV RCA connection.

Seems a bit silly that all the manufacturers are including an HD tv but then give you the lowest resolution output to it. (AV RCA jack 480i)

Has anyone upgraded their receiver to one that has HDMI out if it is not included?

Thanks

When it comes to TV's and resolution size is relative, because of the limiting factors of the human eye, we have a finite field of view. The typical subject can't see two spots that are separated by more than 5 arc minutes. You can find graphical representation of the resolution and the distance at which the resolution is best viewed in correlation with the screen size. Take my 19" LCD if I'm viewing it at distances between 4' and 5.5' away 720p is the target resolution less than 4' 1080p greater than 5.5' 480p. For a 32" TV the optimum viewing distances for 780p would be between 6' and 8'. For my 55" viewing distance for 780p would be between 11' and 17'. The small number represents the best utilization of the resolution so at 11' my 55" is at its best resolution. Greater than 11' its noticeable less and the benefits of 1080p become noticeable.

So in reality many of us are watching TV's at distances that 1080p isn't being taken advantage of and where 780p is just fine. This means your HDMI capable of running the digital signal for 1080p is overkill with a 780p TV. Component cables are just fine, and for 480p RCA are great. Now I use HDMI for my home theater cause I watch a 55" TV at about 10' where the full benefit is at 6' for 1080p.

It's also important to match components through the system. So if the receiver can distribute signals up to 780p and the TV can view 1080p but the DVD player has RCA cables at 480p...your watching TV at 480p despite using HDMI to your TV...

Cheers
Jeremy

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
All that techno talk just confused the heck out of me.:eek:
I think it's because A/V cables are cheaper than a good HDMI cable.
That said, we have a 19" 720P Vizio and a 32" 1080P Vizio. On either TV I can certainly tell the difference between 480, 720 and 1080 when watching a show broadcast over the air.
I do have an HDMI cable from my DVD recorder to the 19" Vizio but I really didn't notice a huge improvement in the picture quality.

beardedone

Beardedone
In the interests of promoting spousal bliss I think all dealers should be required to have DH & DW together with a technician to get the tv working right before you take delivery. My right ear is never going to recover!