Battery Disconnect

Uncle Rog

I saw in timk's post a red dial with wires, is that a battery disconnect? My rig does not have one, but it seems like a good idea............

nhunter

I also am thinking of adding one because I dropped the wing nut down the battery case and had to pull out the battery.

phranc

Many have added their own,for various reasons.. here's my installation
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=607&highlight=phranc

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Hey
I agree a way to disconnect the battery is a must. I would recommend one more thing to do. I installed a 12 volt circuit breaker, they are available from 50 amps to 150 amps plus. Most of the marine shops have a sellection. They are made for the 12 volt circuits and have a button to manually trip the breaker. There is a little lever to reset the breaker. This will provide disconnect service along with overall current protection. I have one on the inverter and one (different size) on the total 12 volt service. Works great and will save a future melt down. Safety First!

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
fireflipper

Hi Guys
On the Big Horns there should be a red lever about two inches long at the bottom of the hydraulic pump shelf. This is the battery disconnect switch. If you do not have one, see if there is a spot for a small handle lever to fit into, if so than you are missing the red handle I mentioned above.

Uncle Rog

I have 4 T105's wired in series and then parrallel, Should I run them as a 450AH system or twp separate 225's ?

jbeletti

Uncle Rog,

Not sure that you would be able to run 2 separate 12 volt battery systems unless they were connected to a split (separate) 12 volt system (split loads) in the coach.

I assume you have 2 pairs of 6 volt T-105s in series to make 2 sets at 12 volts, then those 2 sets tied together at parallel for one powerful 12 volt system. That's a great power plant!

Jim

Uncle Rog

Thanks Jim, I have not decided whether to use both sets at the same time or use a selector switch, as phranc did, to monitor use. When the first set is depleted I could switch over to set two and know I was getting low. I am not sure how charging would work, I guess I would just set the selector for both sets and let her rip...........

timk

Roger,
I got the switches from West Marine, 30 bucks or so. I put two in so that I can equalize the batteries without sending the higher voltage to the refrig and other things inside. The second one just cuts off the batteries.

We put our batteries into one large bank, just because it was simpler. The solar keeps them charged, without any input from me. But there are some chargers out there that can handle multiple banks.
TimK

svd

Our unit did not have a disconnect, so I added one. I used a heavy duty marine switch. This is our 4th trailer, and none of them had a disconnect, but I always add one. Never have to worry about dead batteries after stored for a while.

Uncle Rog

Fireflipper, if there is a stock disconnect on my rig I can't find it, maybe they figured I just like to fool around with things and left it out as a courtesy........

nscaler2

Mine neither

Rog,
I guess they think I link to tinker also, mine doesn't have a battery cut off switch either.:confused:

Uncle Rog

Postscript

I used the disconnect on the ground wires, as my shop mechanic and the battery wholesaler suggested...........

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
fireflipper

OK guys, I will be at the Big Horn plant on Monday, I will ask the tech about the disconnect switch. If there is suppose to be one on all models where yours should be located. Obviously it was in a different place than the last Big Horn I towed.