1/2 voltage to plugs

MC9

I tripped the circuit breaker (heater and micro on at same time). Reset the breaker, micro came on but wall plug did not! Voltmeter says 60 volts at all the plugs served by that breaker, but 120 from hot to ground. 2010 2900MK. Anybody have a clue? GFCI seems to operate OK.

wdk450

MC9:
Did you trip the main breaker or the branch breaker? Try removing all loads and resetting the involved breaker about 3 times before measuring again. Might be a bad breaker.

RollingHome

MC9, I don't know how comfortable you are in doing your own electrical work, if not call an electrician. Always remember these steps :

1). Test your voltage tester on a known energized (hot) circuit to verify it is working properly.
2). Test every conductor BEFORE you touch it with your bare hand. Always assume the circuit is hot, Never assume it's not.

Here is what I would do if this happened on my RV. I would unplug the shore power cord (main power cord). Also make sure no inverters are supplying 120VAC from the batteries. If this is a GFCI duplex outlet I would keep in mind a GFCI can fail and they are not expensive to buy. I would take the cover plate off the GFCI outlet and look in the box to see anything unusual ? Can I use my voltmeter to check the power to the GFCI ? If not I would do what I have to so I can check for this voltage when I plug the shore power in again. I would plug shore power and check incoming voltage to the GFCI, if it's 120VAC Hot to Neutral the GFCI may be the problem. The problem also may be from loose connections at the GFCI (these are wire nutted) or in the panel at the Neutral terminal bar. When I get time I am going to check ALL my connections (everyone) in the breaker panel, on the converter, etc. Also, I would use a solenoid type tester ( Wiggy) ? It sounds like you are using a DVOM (digital volt meter) to read 60 volts. The problem with DVOM's is some electrical faults can pass voltage but not current and the DVOM reads voltage. A wiggy needs voltage & current to work. I would not be surprised if you tested that same 60 volt with a Wiggy you would get zero voltage.

MC9

Update on my half voltage. When this all happened I was in a rv park in Laveta, CO. on our way home to MI. I called Heartland because I could stop on the way home. They said they were booked up til the end of June. Heartland immediately set up a conference call with RV Capitol who would see me in two days. Just right. Jeremy plugged in a tester and said nothing wrong. I plugged in a mixer and it didn't work. He crawled under the slide and found the screws holding the junction box to the frame were sheared, making a bad ground, a few minutes later I was on my way. I am a happy camper.

RollingHome

MC9... Jeremy's tester needed voltage ONLY to work. Your mixer (with current drawing motor) needs Voltage AND current to work (just like a Wiggy solenoid tester). Hence your mixer (Wiggy wanna be) didn't work. Pick up a Wiggy at HD and through it in your tool box, ya experienced first hand what some electrical journeymen learned the hard way in the field via osmosis. You'll impress the next tech who debates ya. By the way, Kudo's for trying the mixer before ya left, smart move.

sunflower

If you had 120 volts to ground and nothing between hot and neutral how did refastening the junction box back onto the frame repair this problem.

jimtoo

MC9... Jeremy's tester needed voltage ONLY to work. Your mixer (with current drawing motor) needs Voltage AND current to work (just like a Wiggy solenoid tester). Hence your mixer (Wiggy wanna be) didn't work. Pick up a Wiggy at HD and through it in your tool box, ya experienced first hand what some electrical journeymen learned the hard way in the field via osmosis. You'll impress the next tech who debates ya. By the way, Kudo's for trying the mixer before ya left, smart move.

I guess I am behind the time.... is there another name for a "Wiggy", maybe something a little more professional or a proper name. I mean, would you go into a hardware store and ask a 6' man for a wiggy???? now tell the truth...:D :D I thought I was kinda up to date on terms and electrical stuff,,,,, but a wiggy???? :D :D

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I guess I am behind the time.... is there another name for a "Wiggy", maybe something a little more professional or a proper name. I mean, would you go into a hardware store and ask a 6' man for a wiggy???? now tell the truth...:D :D I thought I was kinda up to date on terms and electrical stuff,,,,, but a wiggy???? :D :D

LOL.....Jim they have been around since about 1920 give or take a few years. Check this out.....Ken http://www.drillspot.com/products/73461/Wiggy_6610VT1_Voltage_Tester

jimtoo

Well,,,,never to OLD to learn....Guess I will go and get me a WIGGY!!!!! I can just see it now... going into Home Depot or Lowes and asking,,,,, "Do you have a WIGGY????" :D Or maybe better in manly deep voice,,,,,"DO YOU HAVE A WIGGY????" Think I will take a video camera with me to record the reaction...:D

Ken,,, do you have a WIGGY? :D

Jim M

MC9

If you had 120 volts to ground and nothing between hot and neutral how did refastening the junction box back onto the frame repair this problem.
It wasn't quite that simple, Jeremy had to cut the wires back and re-wirenut the connections (they were fried).