Rim failure - 2006 Mt. Rushmore

Gary Steeves

The front left rim developed a small crack that allowed the air to escape, resulting in a blowout at 60 mph. I do not believe I had run over anything or hit any holes on the highway (Interstate).

I saw that the original rim had a weight load of 3750 whereas the new rim sent by the dealer has a limit of 3960. Since the GVW of the Mt. Rushmore is 16,000, the new rim seems to be more in line to meet the GVW. I have also noticed the rims being belivered on the 2007 Mt. Rushmore is a 17.5 rim compared to my 16. Is Heartland putting on heavier duty rims due to problems - or is my situation unique based on simply a defective rim ?

I had put 100psi in the tires (cold). The max tire pressure is 110psi and the rims are rated at 110psi. Seems like the rim pressure is exceeded immediately due to pressure build-up on the road....

Any feedback is certainly appreciated.

v92c

Texan
I had a rim come apart last week on my Bighorn 3655RD, I had 105psi in each tire. Do you have the aluminum alloy rims also?

Gary Steeves

Yes. I have the aluminum alloys. I wonder if the steel wheels have a higher load and psi rating over the alloys...

BluegrassMan

Hi Guy's
I don't remember which Trailer life, but it was in the last couple months they are talking about steel and alloy wheels. Contrary to popular belief, they say that steel can take more load. Check out their verbage on this. It was I think in a small column not an article.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
fireflipper

HI guys
NO the steel rims do not have a higher load rating, in fact it is the same. I had three steel rims start leaking at the welds, manufacturer send me new aluminum ones. As the post above, a hairline fracture developed in the rim, noticed it before it came apart, at the top of donner pass in CA. A second leak developed in the form of a pin hole on another rim. Manufacturer sent a new set of rims, have had them on for a year and no problems.
If the steel rims are supposed to be stronger as per the trailer life article, than why are all the big rigs going to aluminum?

ct0218

I know the brochures say the Landmarks have 17.5 inch rims now, but I think that's a typo. I have yet to see that size, or talk to anyone that has either. 3750X4 is 15K, which is also the tire capacity, and with a pin weight of 2K+, you would be at least 1K to 1.5K over GVWR. Both the tire and wheel ratings are over the axle ratings already. I think I read somewhere that cast wheels were cheaper, but not as strong as forged wheels, or something to that effect. I believe some wheels are forged in 2 pieces and then welded together. That may be what we have, but I really haven't looked that closely. I think Jim Beletti has though. Even the slightest defect will show up with these loads and stresses.

BluegrassMan

Hi Guys:
Fireflipper, I was just relaying what I read in TL magazine. I prefer Aluminum over steel, they look so much better. The "Big Rigs" go with aluminum because they are much lighter than steel. The weight savings from the wheels means that much more cargo they can carry, that means more $$$. You mostly see this in Independent carriers, their trucks are usually decked out better than the fleets.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
fireflipper

Bluegrassman, this is true, but they still have to meet the weight carrying capacity, the same as the steel rims.

Gary Steeves

Tire Pressure

I blew a tire that I had inflated to 109psi cold and had the tire pressure monitor on. The tire (and all 4) had increased pressure to between 118 and 121psi at 60mph on the Interstate.

Tire people tell me to always inflate to 110psi (as stamped on tire) and others tell me to put in 100psi since it will build pressure and yet won't be considered "under-inflated".

What are you other Landmark owners running in your tires? --- and what brand are you running.

Mine are Trail America LT235/85R 16 load range G (these were tires that were on coach at delivery).

Thanks for any input on your rigs tires, inflation practices.

I am TIRED of tire problems !!!!

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
I am running the same tires on my Bighorn and inflate them to 110 psi cold. So far, so good. 2 trips to Florida and 1 trip back so far - leaving next Friday for the return to Midland. I keep my speed to 65 mph or lower.

jbeletti

Gary,

I run 110 PSI cold in my Goodyear load range G tires on my Landmark Mt. Rushmore. Ran the same in the Trail America load range G tires that came with the trailer.

I had no blow-outs but had 2 flats with the TAs due to road hazards and 1 flat on the Goodyears due to some unknown cause.

Jim

jpmorgan37

Hi Gary;
I run my Trail Americas at 110 psi cold and I also have the Doran Pressure Pro's. I travel fairly well loaded, I would estimate over 16000 pounds. The last time I had the trailer weighed, it was 15,825 and I have added more "stuff". So far, I have had no problems with the Trail America tires and have pulled with them on for over a year now.
John

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Goodyear tires came on our 2005 Mt. Rushmore. Run 110 lbs, and thank God have not had any problems.

Forrest Fetherolf

I have Trail America 235 @ 95#, Bridgestone 245 drive axle @ 80# and steer axle @ 70#. I have pulled 15k miles without any problems. I carry a laser infared heat gun to compare tire temps during stops. Each time all tire temps were within 4 deg. I rotate all tires every 7000 miles. My main concern is over inflation and excessive heat buildup. So far I have not observed any unsusal tire wear @ these tire pressures.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Gary
I have the Goodyear G614's, original tires. I put about 18,000 miles on my GC during 05. I always ran the full 110 psi and had no problem with the tires, but the rims gave me a fit. (See my previous post from some time back.) The pressure is supposed to be when the tires are cold, and the increased pressure from the heat is normal. I try to keep the speed around 68 MPH, some times a little more.

Tom of Ypsi

I have two original Good Years (ST) and two Good Years (LT) that I keep 110 psi cold. I am going to put the LT's on the front axel and the ST's on the back. Dealer put LT's on one side and ST's on the other when I had axel problems.

Gary Steeves

Forrest Fetherolf said:
I have Trail America 235 @ 95#, Bridgestone 245 drive axle @ 80# and steer axle @ 70#. I have pulled 15k miles without any problems. I carry a laser infared heat gun to compare tire temps during stops. Each time all tire temps were within 4 deg. I rotate all tires every 7000 miles. My main concern is over inflation and excessive heat buildup. So far I have not observed any unsusal tire wear @ these tire pressures.

Forrest, Can you give me the particulars on the infared gun, so I can try to find one. Also, what is the temperature readings ? I am replacing my Trail America tires with Goodyear Unisteel G614 RST LT235/85R16 E laod rating. (Mt. Rushmore) Also, putting on Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor Pro Grade on the truck - 40,000 miles and Bridgestones treads are pretty low (2005 Chev 2500HD 4X4) Thanks for the help, Gary Steeves (e-mail at ggsteeves@gmail.com)

ct0218

You can do a search for "infrared thermometer". Mine is an Extech, goes to 1400 degrees, and was about $140. I have seen some more basic models from Extech for about $50-$70, with max temp scanning in the 600-700 degree range. Most brands cost a lot more, but I have been very pleased with mine, and I got mine online from a company called Ambient Weather.

drk

I just had a weld crack on an aluminum rim. I have Good Year tires G rated. In inflate to 110 lbs cold. I have 6,000 miles on them and have no problems. The dealer said they have seen cracks before in aluminum rims. I travel the speed limit. If it is 70, I'm doing 70.

2005 Landmark
2006 Dodge 3500 dually Diesel

Roger Kleve
Humboldt, IA

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

drk
The aluminum rims are not welded. They are forged as one piece, but they do crack. I had one that cracked and another that formed a pin hole and started leaking. Call the factory they will arrange to get you a new rim.