Air Circulation for TV Components

Wharton

We have a BH3670 and are installing the TV components(SAT,VHS etc.). We are concerned about the amount of heat that is thrown off and the lack of ventilation in the cabinet. We normally install a PC fan to circulate the air but there is no vent in the cabinet.

Has anyone had a problem with heat? Is this a real concern?

If so, how did you resolve it? We are thinking about replacing the glass with an open screen of some sort so the heat can dissipate. The other option is to cut a large(2x12) hole between the cabinet and the TV(DW preferred option).

Another question: Is there any problem with the remotes going through the glass? I seem to recall having that problem years ago. I can check this out myself but am not at that point in reloading the BH.

Thanks

Lilywhite

We have a 3055 and initially had issues with our DVD player - in the summer, we thought that the unit was over heating as it would power down all by its self but as time went on and the outside temperature cooled, the problem still exsisted. Our dealer replaced the unit and no problems now with the new unit.

As for using the remotes through the glass, we have had no problems.

Hope this helps.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I had the same concern regarding the heat. Here is my solution.
I cut a hole in the side wall and installed a PC fan behind a dryer vent. While the hole was open, I used aluminum flashing tape to seal gap between the walls. So far I have not noticed any rain coming in but I think it's safe to assume if there were a driving rain, we might get some water in. There are better vent covers available but I was trying to stay "thin" so it wouldn't be a problem getting past the slide seals. I got 12 volt power the receptacle in the entertainment system and put a switch in the side wall of the entertainment center. No pic available for that though.

Attachments

• Ent Ctr outer vent.JPG
    Ent Ctr outer vent.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Ent Ctr exhaust fan.JPG
    Ent Ctr exhaust fan.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 16

ChopperBill

We open the doors and secure them with one of those elastic hair ties, across the knobs, so they are just off the snap latch. Leaves a little opening and seems to work OK.

caissiel

We always leave the door open when we watch TV so the remote for the Satelite box works from all over the living room. Also I installed an additional amplifier on the radio DVD system. So I always open the door to set this one up also.

Lately I raised the rear of satelite box for better air circulation for the Amp that is under the box and noticed the remote for the satelite box works with the door closed. It works from all over the livingroom so the side to side alignment is not as important as the up and down alignment of the remote to the satelite box.

This also gives me an idea, There is also always an air gap on the top of the TV, so i can just vent the small cabinet to the rear of the TV also causing some air circulation in that area. We store our CD's there. So we access the rear of the TV often by swinging it out

caissiel

I like the Idea of the door partially open because if a fan is installed you need a space for the air in. In my experience for every exhaust there is a need for a supply off fresh air.

The closures on the door can be adjusted a bit out and the door will not necessarily be closed tight, and it will never show on the cabinet. I have all my kitchen cabinet doors set that way so as the door will not touch the frame and rub on the door in travel.

Wharton

Thanks for all the great ideas. I will need to consider all of them and decide what would best suit us.

Thanks again

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Here is what we did. I was concerned about how the mesh would look, but it turned out looking nice and we don't have to worry about circulation. The remotes all work with the door closed.
Kristy

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/14972-Safe-mesh-and-storage-basket

Vent,s What I did with my unit, I went to my local lumber yard and purchased 2inch vents that use on house eves, I put 3 rows of vents 4 in a row this really seem to do the job! I used 2 inch hole saw driil. hope this helps Jim Thomas